Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Monopods

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I haven't read the whole thread yet ...

Monopods do have their uses, though a tripos with thei legs closed up can provide just as much benefit, though weight may be an issue.

Monos are great for reducing vertical movement associated with a heavy lens leaving you with horizontal (and front and back) movement to deal with. This can be particulary good for panning or fast shutter speeds needed for macro work.

If you are into landscape photography leave your mono at home as it is unlikely you will get good results with the shutter speeds required for a high F/# (great DOF).
    "Nature photography is about choosing a location, crawling through dirt, being bitten by insects and occasionally taking a great image". - Wayne Eddy.

Canon 5D MkIII, Canon 7D, 17-40mm f/4L,
    24-105mm f/4L
    + Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L IS +400mm f/5.6L + Canon 1.4xTC + Canon 100 EF f2.8 USM + 430-EX

Account Closed
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Seesee View Post
    Sorry Roof I missed this question, my apologies. I got mine off ebay and when it comes to monopods I think this is great, aluminium construction, full 6 foot height, good neoprene grip, rubber and spike foot etc etc. Model Tamron Action Monopod MP-1.

I honestly see zero point in spending big on something as basic as a monopod, tripod may be a different story.
    You're right mate, I think i want one also for the use as a walking stick and helpfull other things.......I bought a manfrotto tripod which i am extrmely happy with.....But going to NZ next year it's the weight......That is sort of a problem....

I would like to get a manf monopod with the same head as on my tripod 804lalala whaevere it is.........QR things , you know what i mean....

And what you're saying Enduro i admit yes works well.....i do have a big problem using the 300mm lens swaying up and down not the right words but you know what i'm getting at , These things are heavy....

I go around in the stores one of these day's and say if i can score myself a bargain...

Cheers fellas

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    our local shopping centre has a stall tha sells all sorts or cheap asian imports. They have various$50 tripods all with QR's: walking sticks, platform based, level bubble etc.

If you shop around you should be able to find something.

Account Closed
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by enduro View Post
    our local shopping centre has a stall tha sells all sorts or cheap asian imports. They have various$50 tripods all with QR's: walking sticks, platform based, level bubble etc.

If you shop around you should be able to find something.

Yeah i'll find something, Thanks again guys...

Site Rules Breach - Permanent Ban
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Roof
    Are you comfortable with purchasing through eBay?

I did a search this morning and there were 61 entries ranging from Manfrotto to cheapies in aluminium or carbon fibre. There should be something there which suits your needs.

The search I used is http://search.ebay.com.au/monopod_W0...MEFSRCHQ3aSRCH

Account Closed
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Mark,

I am comfortable buying through e-bay but i like to go to a store and hold it before i buy and then just pay for it and take it home.......But yeah i had a look on e-bay and i still think i'll go to a store.........But thanks anyway..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi

I have a goldphoto monopod which was about $70-00 from camerahouse.
    I like Monopods as it helps me with stability when a tripod is inconvenient.
    Being in the crowd at the car races (and lots of crown type places) makes a Tripod impossible as it takes up to much room. It certainly helps with keeping it stable in at least one direction.
    If your into sport buy 1, they don't replace a tripod, but make a handy addition to the kit.
    More money usually m eans less weight!!!

Jeff

Kodak DX7590
    New Feb 2008 : Canon EOS 400D (still figuring out); 18-55mm; 90-300mm, UV Filters; Tripod, Monopod.

Impossible things are simply those which so far have never been done.
    - Elbert Hubbard

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12