Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

soft box and flash power?

Greetings All,

Im looking to get a couple 150cm octaganol softboxes (maybe bigger). The umbrella style ones that pop up and mount to a bowens connector. I do a bit of on site shooting and my current rectangular ones which are put together ones just take too long to put up. (its all relative....). I do portrait work and use 300 what studio flashes. My question is; is there a correlation between softbox / umbrella size and the power of your flash? I would think at some point there would be but Im not trying to flash the inside of a barn. Can anyone point me to a reference on this or give me some personal experiences?

Thanks

Adrian Fischer
    Brisbane, Australia

Gear: Nikon D80, D300, Nikon 35mm f1.8, 50mm f1.8, 85mm f1.8, 105mm f2.5, 18-200 VR, 70-200 VR, Sigma 28-70mm f2.8, Sigma 50-500, Tonkina 12-24 f4, SB-600, various YongNuo Strobes, various umbrellas, 6 x 300w studio flashes, various softboxes, reflectors, stands, transmitters and receivers.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Adrian, I would have thought that a review (or even the manufacturer/retailer) of the particular piece of kit would be able to tell you how many stops of light a particular modifier will eat, but yes there is I would imagine a correlation between size and power output, but it would probably be even more specific to the particular item (factors such as double baffling will increase the amount of light eaten etc).

Moderately Underexposed
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think the only way you are going to be able to reach any meaningful conclusion is to try the new softbox.
    I feel that there are too many variables between them, the reflectivity of the interiors of each, the thickness of the diffusion material at the front end of the different softboxes and the area of each.

I haven't seen any formula or rules about size / power ratios but that doesn't mean to say they don't exist.
    Andrew
    Nikon, Fuji, Nikkor, Sigma, Tamron, Tokina and too many other bits and pieces to list.