User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  2

Thread: Canon EF f1.8 II Lens. Any good?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Canon EF f1.8 II Lens. Any good?

Hi all. Im looking at buying a Canon EF f1.8 II Lens as i currently only own the canon450d kit and wanting to take better portrait shots. I have read a few reviews and they swing both ways. Anyone got one or had one? I know its bottom of the line but ist purely for a hobby and budget limited. Is this lens any good for other styles of shots?
    Feel free to edit my photos and let me know how you did it so I can give it a crack. Cheers

Ausphotography Veteran
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think it's worthwhile to point out what's good about this lens, as well as what's bad.

What's good?

1. It's light.
    2. It's small.
    3. It's fast (as in wide aperture).
    4. It's sharp.
    5. It's inexpensive.
    6. On an APS-C camera, it provides classic portrait framing.

What's bad?

1. Its barrel and mount is plastic.
    2. It has no distance gauge.
    3. It has no ultrasonic focus motor.
    4. It's slow to focus, and noisy, too.
    5. The focus ring is awkwardly positioned and small.
    6. It has a five-bladed diaphragm, producing unappealing pentagonal bokeh.

Personally I have no need or desire for a 50mm lens, but hopefully the above will give you a good summary.

The lens has a lot of bang-for-buck.

Who me?
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have one, bought it new locally, cheaper than the ebay ! or the second handers! its a great little lens, very plastic, very, but optically good IMO. Your sig say Far Nth Coast, I'm at Tweed. Happy to meet and let you try before you buy if distance isn't a problem.
    Cheers David.

Canon 40D/EF-S 17-85 mm IS/Kenko Extenson Tubes/Canon EF 50mm F/1.8 II (nifty fifty)
    Sigma 10-20mm 4-5.6 /Sigma 70-200/ Sigma 1.4 teleconverter/ some Conkin filters | Adobe Photoshop CS6

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I liked mine that much I not long after got the 1.4 .
    AKA Sean

Canon 5D MKII - 24-105L - 70-200 F4L IS - 70-300 IS USM - 28 1.8 - 35L 1.4 - 50 1.4 - 85 1.8 - 100L Macro - 200L 2.8II - Tamron 17-35 2.8 - Sigma 150-500 - 430EX - and a stack of other bits and pieces.

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dbax View Post
    I have one, bought it new locally, cheaper than the ebay ! or the second handers! its a great little lens, very plastic, very, but optically good IMO. Your sig say Far Nth Coast, I'm at Tweed. Happy to meet and let you try before you buy if distance isn't a problem.
    Thanks dbax for the offer, very kind. For the price I think im just going to buy it and have a play it is cheap and I cant seem to find anything else close in that price range.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It is worth trying it out first. I found the 50mm to be too tight on a crop sensor and went for Canons EF 35mm f2.0. It was also pretty cheap, and on a crop was closer to 50mm than an actual 50mm.
    best regards

Chris.

flickr

Ausphotography Veteran
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a nifty fifty, and I LOVE it I use it to take most of my kids portraits, it's a nice sharp little lens.
    Happy to take all constructive Critique, please don't rework or edit my photos. Thanks!

Canon 6D, 2 Canon 50D's gripped, Canon 1000D, Canon 70-200 F2.8 ( non IS),Canon 70-200 2.8, Canon 24-70 2.8, Sigma 85 1.4, Canon 50mm F1.8.. yongnuo speedlights and triggers, and manfrotto tripods.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have one too. I don't really think you can go wrong with this lens. A major reason for my purchase was that it was cheap and I could use it as a bit if a knock around lens. I say get one!

Site Rules Breach - Permanent Ban
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One of my first lenses (swapped it for one of the kit ones that came with the camera).

Love it. As a learning tool you cant go wrong with this little number. Hoping to move to the 1.4 as I upgrade my lenses as with what others have mentioned there are some minor details to the lens that are a hinderance over time.

Low light AF (ambient lighting) and how loud it is are my two sticking points. Apart from that it is a beauty for its price.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I hate it I hate it I hate it.

Quality control is an issue. When I had mine - I got 2 friends has the same and mine one being the worst copy. I have done a test on tripod and my one always 1/3 to 1/2 stop slower (darker) than the other 2. Plus one of my friend's always a lot sharper than other 2 AND it really wasn't that sharp neither.

I toss mine with anger and upgrade to Sigma 50mm 1.4, another friend took the Canon 1.4. We never look back since then.

Site Rules Breach - Permanent Ban
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lets be honest here, if the nifty were not so cheap, it would not get so much attention. But because it is a sub $150 f/1.8 lens, it gets plenty of coverage.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh, and FYI with a bit of haggling you can get it at $125 (Brisbane at least) at any local camera store.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I googled it, I don't think you could go wrong, Cheep as chips thanks for pointing this lens out. mmm tax return. Mite get one myself. Cheers
    Canon 7d efs 15-85mm, Sigma 150-500mm. Nicon coolpix 5400

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I love my 50 1.8... use it more than my 24-70L

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have two.
    I like it very much.
    Humongous value for money.
    "The greatest camera in the world is the one you hold in your hands when shit happens." ©2007 Raoul Isidro

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've been thinking about one as well, but am tossing up between the nice cheap f1.8 or paying the extra for a f1.4 which I have heard some people have troubles with and need to send in for repairs ?
    I have seen the f1.4 online for around $400
    I have been unable to make up my mind
    Steve

Equipment: A couple of Canons with some lenses and a heap of enthusiasm

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Personally I would save the cash and get the f1.8, Very happy with mine and haven't looked back since I got mine.
    BTW a question for the owners of the f1.4, does the f1.4 feel as a cheap plastic thing as the f1.8 does ?
    But even though the f1.8 feels like I just got it out of a cornflakes packet I still thing its tops
    The fastest way to a man's heart is through his chest with a sharp knife
    Canon 50D,
    Tamron 70-200 f/2.8, A very bright light, EF 50 f1.8, Tamron 17-50 f2.8

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's very sharp, but the colours are quite dull/flat ... sold it after a week and upgraded to the Sigmalux, and have never looked back

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I hard the f1.8 for a little while there. It was good, as it was SUPER light and fairly sharp. My partner smashes it on the road....
    So I decided upgraded to the f1.2. Needless to say I wont be buying the f1.8 again.
    Canon 5D MKII, 17-40mm f/4L, 24-105mm f/4L, 17mm TS-E f/4L, 24mm f/1.4L II, 50mm f/1.2L, 85mm f/1.2L
    135mm f/2L.
    Alien bee lights, Gitzo tripods, Adobe CS5

I find the single most valuable tool on my computer is my recycle bin.