User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  0

Thread: Sigma 24-70 f/2.8

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sigma 24-70 f/2.8

Soooo, how many forumites here have the Sigma 24-70 in their lens collection.
    I could have used one last weekend, but don't have one (yet). I got by with my 17-50 (I hope - i didn't get to see the photos), but reckon 24-70 would have made life a little easier. Due to the fact I am on the poor side of well off I am probably looking at getting the non HSM version & not even considering Nikon. So I'd like to hear from anyone that has one or has had both in regards any problems, focus speed, noisy & all that kind of stuff.
    This lens will work on FF if I go down that lane in the future wont it ? but I need the DG version is that correct

More info: I will hopefully have a wide angle lens soon & will then retire the 17-50 so I wont be overlapping lenses, by having 17-50 & 24-70 as well.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DJT View Post
    Soooo, how many forumites here have the Sigma 24-70 in their lens collection.
    Me for one.

I am probably looking at getting the non HSM version & not even considering Nikon.
    I have the screw-drive model. I will be upgrading to the Nikkor version late this year, or early next, but until then this one does me fine.

in regards any problems
    Mine back-focusses slightly. I haven't tried to correct this in-camera, or by sending it back to the manufacturer, I simply haven't had time. It is tolerable at f/2.8, but nothing outstanding, satisfactory at f/4 and fine from f/5.6 on. (Compared to my Sigma 70-200 f/2.8 @ f/4 it is soft.)

focus speed
    Not bad. I don't know what you're planning to use it for, but as a general walk-around lens it's fine. Portraiture it is fine in good to moderate light, and slow-ish in low light. I've never had it not focus, but it has taken it's time to get there. I"ve used it for motorsport when the location has allowed and it has been satisfactory.

noisy
    Like any screw-drive lens it has some noise about it. It can be quite loud if it hunts for focus and goes up & back the range.

& all that kind of stuff.
    It takes an 82mm filter, which is quite an odd size making CPL's a bit harder to come by, and slightly more expensive. I suppose the same would stand for UV filters, but I don't run those.

This lens will work on FF if I go down that lane in the future wont it ?
    It will.
    Adam.

AGSPhotos.com

Using Nikon & PS CS5.

Moderately Underexposed
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    All of that which Adam said above ^ except we have never had any focus issues with ours.
    Wide open sharpness is good but not stunning, a Nikkor 35-70 that we have is slightly sharper.
    It works perfectly well on both the D200 and D700 and really suits as a moderately wide lens on the FX body.
    One of the few times I have used it for "people" shots is at http://www.ausphotography.net.au/for...ad.php?t=62627. I generally use a fixed lens for portraits but due to being up a ladder the zoom came in handy for composition that day.
    Andrew
    Nikon, Fuji, Nikkor, Sigma, Tamron, Tokina and too many other bits and pieces to list.

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the detailed response Adam.
    Wont be used for anything super fast, mostly walk around, weddings, parties etc. I was doing city to surf & really needed / wanted 50-70 range. Might have a go at Sydney Marathon which is coming up & it might be handy for that too, not sure if I'll be able to swing it in time though.
    I guess the good thing about screw drive lenses is that you know when they are working
    I've knocked the focus selection on my camera a couple of times with an AFS lens on & start to panick when they don't focus, but with the screw drive lenses I know straight away what is going on

Umm I used to have a 35-70 Andrew so not the kind of thing I want to hear or be reminded of thank you.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    The DG nomenclature is the Sigma FF code, so yes you need a DG Sigma lens if you are thinking about FF. My copy of the 24-70 is the sharpest lens I own. I cannot fault it!
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Rick & yeah FF is a few years off yet, but I reckon it's where I'll end up. So the wide angle is probably the only lens I'll have that won't work on FF by the time I get it

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    What camera brand do you use? If you use Nikon, all the lenses will still work on a FF camera, they just detect that they are not a FF lens and give you a crop view. My D3 works fine with a crop lens like the Sigma 10-20, it just crops it down and I get about a 5-6mp photo. As far as I know only Nikon cameras do this.

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nikon of course a D200, are there other brands .
    Wasn't aware of the crop with the FF, but as I mentioned I have a few years before I have to worry about that

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Correct me if I am wrong.

I thought there are 2 version of it? One is IF (internal focus) and another is older, larger and probably don't have HSM.

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yep you're right Andy, the IF is also HSM and is out of my budget , if I was getting paid work (more than the twice a year that I have jagged) I guess it would be a different arguement, but my beautiful wife is always here to keep me in the real world.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You should do what I do then... hehehe...

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What's that Andy.

Not come back to the real world

Nah that wouldn't work, the kids would still find me

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not come back to the real world
    If you find the path, let me know. I wanna outta the real world for ages!

http://www.ausphotography.net.au/for...ad.php?t=61205

That's what I did. (Some say long term investment)