Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cheep prints

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cheep prints

Thought I have a look at some printing options today spent some money (not a lot) this is what I got.
    First print as it looked on my monitor and theirs but how it printed (and was toled thats how it is). OK so it was big W and they were cheep but hay they could be something like what you see on there monitors, well I think so anyway.
    O and I adjusted the images to represent the difference and think the representation is more than fair.
    Before you say it I know you get what you pay for.
    Just think if you supply some one with digital images what might they think.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Thanks Steve
    Winer of the sheep week 2 + 6
    www.atkimages.com.au "If your pictures aren't good enough, you're not close enough," ROBERT CAPA"
    Tokina 16-28 f2.8 PRO FX,Sigma 500 4.5 Ex DG, Canon 5D Mii, Canon 7D, Canon 2x converter,Canon 70-200 2.8 L,
    Sigma 120-300 2.8 EX, Sigma 24-70 2.8 EX, Canon 1.4x converter, Canon 580 ex 2 speed light
    And two canon kit Lenses.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    and do you calibrate your monitor ?

looks like a classic example of expecting your monitor to be exact, when its highly likely to need calibrating.
    William

www.longshots.com.au

I am the PhotoWatchDog

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So your saying my monitor and Big W monitor (Look the same) both need calibrating to suit the calibration of the Fuji equipment they use. Did I say where I get my Images printed normally do at least print the same as they look on my monitor so tell me who's needs calibrating mine Big W my usual printers or the printing equipment at Big W.
    OK so lets shoot the messenger sorry I said anything I must be a knob I'll go and slide under a rock.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I recently had a print done via the internet. A company that brags about their expensive equipment. I gave them some negative feedback. They called my mobile and asked a few questions, he went on to say that it's my laptop. Well bugger me, if only we all had expensive calibrated monitors, that would make their job so much easier?.. NO! They all vary from contrast to light/exposure, it's a matter of finding the one that suits you, and stay with them. I do like my local Kodak lab, they will adjust the levels on screen to my desire.

Bear in mind that some online printers will have a calibrating program for you to download.
    Olympus E-30 upgrade pointing @ you

50mm
    11-22mm
    FL-36 [flash]

Ausphotography Veteran
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    BigW are notorious for that! I've had problems with them, and so has a friend of mine, images come out too dark.. and yes it was on a calibrated monitor that the photos were processed ( both mine and my friends) needless to say, I don't go back to BigW anymore.. cheap yes.. but cheap and nasty
    Happy to take all constructive Critique, please don't rework or edit my photos. Thanks!

Canon 6D, 2 Canon 50D's gripped, Canon 1000D, Canon 70-200 F2.8 ( non IS),Canon 70-200 2.8, Canon 24-70 2.8, Sigma 85 1.4, Canon 50mm F1.8.. yongnuo speedlights and triggers, and manfrotto tripods.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by atky View Post
    So your saying my monitor and Big W monitor (Look the same) both need calibrating to suit the calibration of the Fuji equipment they use. Did I say where I get my Images printed normally do at least print the same as they look on my monitor so tell me who's needs calibrating mine Big W my usual printers or the printing equipment at Big W.
    OK so lets shoot the messenger sorry I said anything I must be a knob I'll go and slide under a rock.

Hang on a minute, I simply suggested that a reason was that your monitor might not be calibrated !

Why take this attitude ?

Yes it is entirely possible that the Big W/Fuji system is not calibrated - thats another very possible option. Local users of Fuji systems dont always understand why they should calibrate regularly. I use a Harve Norman place that can regularly print brilliant 6 x 4's but ask them to print different sizes and because they havent set up their paper profiles correctly there is a considerable difference between the image densities between the different size prints

And no you didnt say where you got your images normally printed - so how would I know that ?

I cant see where offering a response means you react like that ! I wont bother again.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Longshots View Post
    Hang on a minute, I simply suggested that a reason was that your monitor might not be calibrated !

Why take this attitude ?

Yes it is entirely possible that the Big W/Fuji system is not calibrated - thats another very possible option. Local users of Fuji systems dont always understand why they should calibrate regularly. I use a Harve Norman place that can regularly print brilliant 6 x 4's but ask them to print different sizes and because they havent set up their paper profiles correctly there is a considerable difference between the image densities between the different size prints

And no you didnt say where you got your images normally printed - so how would I know that ?

I cant see where offering a response means you react like that ! I wont bother again.
    My response may well seem wrong but read yours and see how it sounds.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Whilst I get what you are saying in both your posts, William's question is an entirely valid one, and I don't think he was shooting the messenger, rather asking the question, is your monitor calibrated?
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    sounds about right what happened Steve. I got a small print done last week at big W and yes a bit darker than it should have been as per my pp`ing and what was on my monitor. I guess they are just darker with the processes they use. Bit hard calculating for that.
    Graeme
    "May the good Lord look down and smile upon your face"......Norman Gunston___________________________________________________
    Nikon: D7000, D80, 12-24 f4, 17-55 f2.8, 18-135, 70-300VR, 35f2, SB 400, SB 600, TC-201 2x converter. Tamron: 90 macro 2.8 Kenko ext. tubes. Photoshop CS2.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My response may well seem wrong but read yours and see how it sounds.
    Yep read mine again - here let me repeat what I said, because its a fairly logical response and the most obvious question. Cant for the life of me how it can be read any other way.

and do you calibrate your monitor ?

looks like a classic example of expecting your monitor to be exact, when its highly likely to need calibrating.
    I have no problem with helping you seek a solution. There's no case of shooting the messenger. Hey, I could be quite wrong. You have a problem, and to find a solution to the problem its logical to seek out what is or isnt being done in the digital to print work flow.

So first and most obvious question which you took such offence at - do you calibrate your monitor ?

And FYI, if you want more help on this you can get some good assistance at - www.apdig.com
    The Australian Photographic Digital Imaging Guidelines

which I'm coauthor of

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ive used my local Harvey Norman at Aspley with no issues. It took me a while to realise that what you see on your screen and what is printed are two different things. I have two calibrated screens and find that I have still have to overbrighten/expose in PP to get good results in print. I dont use HN any more but not because of quality.

Adrian Fischer
    Brisbane, Australia

Gear: Nikon D80, D300, Nikon 35mm f1.8, 50mm f1.8, 85mm f1.8, 105mm f2.5, 18-200 VR, 70-200 VR, Sigma 28-70mm f2.8, Sigma 50-500, Tonkina 12-24 f4, SB-600, various YongNuo Strobes, various umbrellas, 6 x 300w studio flashes, various softboxes, reflectors, stands, transmitters and receivers.

http://steveaxford.smugmug.com/
    About in the middle between Byron Bay, Ballina and Lismore
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm not sure that monitor calibration is the answer here. Screen displays use emission colours, printing uses absorption colours. This means that a print will always be a bit darker than the screen display. I think you need to do some test prints to find the right brightness.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When you use BigW it is important that you tell their machine "No colour correction" - or whatever exactly the wording is. Did you do that?

I, and many of my friends, have had very good results at their Renmark store.
    Graham

Canon- EOS 7D with BG-E7 grip, 10-22 f/3.5-4.5, 24-105L f/4; Speedlites 580EX II, 550EX, 430EX.
    Sigma- 18-50 f/2.8, 50-150 f/2.8, 120-300 f/2.8, 50-500 f/4.5-6.3 APO DG OS, 30 f/1.4, 150 f/2.8 macro, Sigma APO 1.4x and 2x Teleconverters;
    Kenko Extension tubes; Benro- M-257 tripod & B-1 ballhead; Wimberley- Sidekick.
    Home made "bag" on wheels; heaps and heaps of other minor stuff!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Adrian Fischer View Post
    Ive used my local Harvey Norman at Aspley with no issues. It took me a while to realise that what you see on your screen and what is printed are two different things. I have two calibrated screens and find that I have still have to overbrighten/expose in PP to get good results in print. I dont use HN any more but not because of quality.
    i dont get that, i would have hoped that you get what I get - the print looks exactly like my screen image
    Darren
    Gear : Nikon Goodness
    Please support Precious Hearts
    Constructive Critique of my images always appreciated

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Axford View Post
    I'm not sure that monitor calibration is the answer here. Screen displays use emission colours, printing uses absorption colours. This means that a print will always be a bit darker than the screen display. I think you need to do some test prints to find the right brightness.
    While I didnt say it was the answer, its certainly the first question.

And regardless of that simple difference of viewing both different mediums (and in properly controlled print viewing booth) a well managed lab, (and they're not always that much more expensive) Digilab in Brisbane is a good example where I can depend on getting a print that is going to match my monitor. So a good system doesnt mean that you will always have a difference between print and screen.

And BTW I calibrate every week, not because I do a great deal of prints, but because I need to be able to place a great degree of faith in delivering digital images to my commercial clients that they ca, Mon trust. Is there always a big difference between before and after calibrating - no. It depends on the quality of which screen My Dell screens tend to have more "movement" on them then the Eizos. And again its worth saying that most people would not see the difference as its such a negligible amount.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Riverlander View Post
    When you use BigW it is important that you tell their machine "No colour correction" - or whatever exactly the wording is. Did you do that?

I, and many of my friends, have had very good results at their Renmark store.
    Thanks - this would have been one of my next questions once I'd got the answer (without the over reaction).

This is a piece of advice well worth repeating.

The important thing is to take one question at a time to find the problem.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yep read mine again - here let me repeat what I said, because its a fairly logical response and the most obvious question. Cant for the life of me how it can be read any other way.

I have no problem with helping you seek a solution. There's no case of shooting the messenger. Hey, I could be quite wrong. You have a problem, and to find a solution to the problem its logical to seek out what is or isnt being done in the digital to print work flow.

So first and most obvious question which you took such offence at - do you calibrate your monitor ?

And FYI, if you want more help on this you can get some good assistance at - www.apdig.com
    The Australian Photographic Digital Imaging Guidelines which I'm coauthor of
    Thanks for the advice.
    I may of read more into your response than was intended.
    I get acceptable results from Roll On in Colonnades. I just for the sake of knowing I was getting good value thought I would try Big W Colonnades, they both use Fuji. I was not necessarily asking for help I was just trying to point out the difference ore variation that can exist between different printers and the danger of supplying digital images to customers.
    I also can spend some time PP Images so would not ask a machine to make some adjustments to what I have already adjusted.
    Last edited by atky; 15-08-2010 at 9:59pm.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by yummymummy View Post
    BigW are notorious for that! I've had problems with them, and so has a friend of mine, images come out too dark.. and yes it was on a calibrated monitor that the photos were processed ( both mine and my friends) needless to say, I don't go back to BigW anymore.. cheap yes.. but cheap and nasty
    OK ... Well in this instance im gonna defend Big W. Well at least my local store anyway.

I use a backlit 24" imac, it is not calibrated. (Will get around to it one day )
    After processing, I ALWAYS check my histogram channels and make sure everything is sitting nicely, and ready for final save and output for print.

My Big W prints are bang on to what I see on my monitor, side by side comparisons prove it.

Maybe Im just lucky

I think sometimes its a little simpler than the calibration issue. I think by default some people think that what they see on the screen is how your prints will render .. just because.
    A lot of "my print is too dark" issues arise from your pictures looking well exposed on the screen but not necessarily in the levels and the histogram. Doing a final check after PP is a handy habit to get into.
    Last edited by bigdazzler; 16-08-2010 at 8:35am.
    Hi Im Darren

www.darrengrayphotography.com

SONY A850 (FF)] + GRIP | SONY A350 (APS-C) + GRIP | SONY NEX-5 +16 2.8 + 18-55 E-MOUNT LENSES | CZ 85 1.4 | 50 1.4 | 28-75 2.8 | 70-200 2.8 | 2 x 42AMs | 24" imac | LR | CS4 | + loads of other junk

http://steveaxford.smugmug.com/
    About in the middle between Byron Bay, Ballina and Lismore
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    While I didnt say it was the answer, its certainly the first question.

And regardless of that simple difference of viewing both different mediums (and in properly controlled print viewing booth) a well managed lab, (and they're not always that much more expensive) Digilab in Brisbane is a good example where I can depend on getting a print that is going to match my monitor. So a good system doesnt mean that you will always have a difference between print and screen.

And BTW I calibrate every week, not because I do a great deal of prints, but because I need to be able to place a great degree of faith in delivering digital images to my commercial clients that they ca, Mon trust. Is there always a big difference between before and after calibrating - no. It depends on the quality of which screen My Dell screens tend to have more "movement" on them then the Eizos. And again its worth saying that most people would not see the difference as its such a negligible amount.
    All good stuff, but most people don't have a properly calibrate-able screen, nor a controlled environment. That leaves them with little choice but to do the best they can and then use other methods. Still, you are right, that is the first question.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Axford View Post
    but most people don't have a properly calibrate-able screen, nor a controlled environment. That leaves them with little choice but to do the best they can and then use other methods.
    and in this situation .. your histogram is your best friend. Works well enough for me.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast