User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  0

Thread: adapter for 'Canon to Sony Alpha' lens

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

adapter for 'Canon to Sony Alpha' lens

I've been offered some canon lenses by an aged relative (deceased estate). I'm not sure what the lenses are but knowing the owner they will be in great condition. The person offering them knows nothing of photography and can't work out what lenses they are and they're about 500km away so its all being done by phone

Thing is, my cameras are Sony, but I notice on ebay adapters are available for canon lens to sony mount for about $50.

Are the adapters any good. i.e. do they work & what happens to IQ with them

----
    edit to fix poor grammar

A royal pain in the bum! arthurking83's Avatar
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

title says adapters for Nikon lenses, yet the topic is for Canon(to Sony) lenses.

I'll edit the title to make the thread a little bit more clear. If you're not agreeable to the title change, just holler and we'll change it back again!

I'm not 100% sure about how good ALL lens adapters are, but there are many good quality brands available.

Novoflex are world famous for camera/lens adapters. Expensive but apparently one of the better brands.
    Nikon D800E, D300, D70s
    {Nikon}; -> 50/1.2 : 500/8 : 105/2.8VR Micro : 180/2.8 ais : 105mm f/1.8 ais : 24mm/2 ais
    {Sigma}; ->10-20/4-5.6 : 50/1.4 : 12-24/4.5-5.6II : 150-600mm|S
    {Tamron}; -> 17-50/2.8 : 28-75/2.8 : 70-200/2.8 : 300/2.8 SP MF : 24-70/2.8VC

{Yongnuo}; -> YN35/2N : YN50/1.8N

A royal pain in the bum! arthurking83's Avatar
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just had a quick search and found an article that states that Canon EF/(EFS??) lenses will not focus to infinity. This is a common problem too tho, and it's the same as any Canon to Nikon adapter.
    An adapter can be made to allow the lens to focus to infinity tho, but it'll require an additional lens element in the adapter. Not an idea solution, as IQ can suffer.
    Even though I suspected as much, I wasn't sure about how, or whether, any Canon to (Non Nikon brand) adapter will work. I just dunno nuth'n about them... only what I just read.

This inability to focus to infinity may or may not be an issue too! if you want them for landscapes, it'll be an issue. if you want them for funky lens reversal/macro opportunities, they could be an interesting addition.

i'd be inclined to take them(and then work out the rest).
    But!.. if I knew any other members of the family had an appropriate Canon camera to use them with, I'd recommend the aged relative to send them there!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    if theyre decent lenses, what about buying a cheapish Canon body ??
    Hi Im Darren

www.darrengrayphotography.com

SONY A850 (FF)] + GRIP | SONY A350 (APS-C) + GRIP | SONY NEX-5 +16 2.8 + 18-55 E-MOUNT LENSES | CZ 85 1.4 | 50 1.4 | 28-75 2.8 | 70-200 2.8 | 2 x 42AMs | 24" imac | LR | CS4 | + loads of other junk

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What era type is the Canon lens?
    (FL, FD, EF)? You will need to know this to choose your mount adapter.
    "The greatest camera in the world is the one you hold in your hands when shit happens." ©2007 Raoul Isidro

Ausphotography Veteran
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the advice.

The person who passed away was, apparently, a keen photographer in the last couple of years. None of the rest of the family use anything other than P&S, so their definition of keen could mean anything of course.

After he passed away they wanted a couple of his photos in a larger format for the service but as they live in a small rural community the best the nearest chemist could do was 7x5.

A friend of my wife, who no doubt has heard of my growing collection of gear (including an Epson 1410printer) and erroneously assumed it meant a greater level of skill, suggested that if they email some images to me I might be able to do something.

I was sent a half dozen images, chose a couple to tweak, printed them on A3 and express posted them down, and they got there on time.

They want to keep the camera and "main lenses" as someone in the family might be interested but offered the others as a thanks.

I don't think what I did is all that deserving of a reward, it only took a couple of hours and some paper & postage, but if the lens(es) are otherwise going to waste it was worth considering

Quote Originally Posted by arthurking83 View Post
    Just had a quick search and found an article that states that Canon EF/(EFS??) lenses will not focus to infinity. This is a common problem too tho, and it's the same as any Canon to Nikon adapter.

This inability to focus to infinity may or may not be an issue too! if you want them for landscapes, it'll be an issue. if you want them for funky lens reversal/macro opportunities, they could be an interesting addition.

But!.. if I knew any other members of the family had an appropriate Canon camera to use them with, I'd recommend the aged relative to send them there!

Arthur - Thanks - it is a Canon, I had googled about adapters and the most relevant link I could find was talking about Nikons, so I guess my typing was getting ahead of my thinking.

I've looked up the Novoflex web site & for the Sony/minolta camera range they only have them for 6x6 format lenses

Quote Originally Posted by bigdazzler View Post
    if theyre decent lenses, what about buying a cheapish Canon body ??
    Darren, err well, if I hadn't bought an A550 in the last month, and kept the A300 as the extra body perhaps. see thread on cost of including cameras on house and contents policy
    http://www.ausphotography.net.au/for...t=57713&page=4 message 104

Quote Originally Posted by RaoulIsidro View Post
    What era type is the Canon lens?
    (FL, FD, EF)? You will need to know this to choose your mount adapter.
    Raoul - Best I can find out the camera is a EOS something? so I guess the lens should be ok

-------------------

I see there are cheaper adapters on ebay for canon to sony but I'm sceptical of the quality & whilst I initially thought it could be worth it for a reasonable lens, with more thought I think I'll decline and suggest the gear should be kept together. Maybe someone in the family will start to learn how to use the gear properly and keep it all together