User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  1

Thread: Beginner DSLR Gear - Advice Please!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Beginner DSLR Gear - Advice Please!

Hello,

I am considering purchasing the Canon EOS 450D Enthusiast Kit (450DB & EF-S 17 - 85mm IS USM).

I plan to primarily focus on landscapes and would like something to "walkaround" with in Europe next year.

I don't wish to spend more than about $1500 to start with.

The 450D Enthusiast Kit seems like a decent introductory package, but I would appreciate a sanity check prior to purchasing.

Thanks for your help, any suggestions/comments would be great.

Cheers,

npssmphs

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    The enthusiast kits come in at a good price, and offer you a great solution if you do not want to spend a fortune. The 17-85 is a good all round lens, offering something reasonably wide, through to a modest zoom and will serve you well. If you are into capturing the sweeping landscapes, you may find you need something wider than 17mm. It could be worthwhile searching out a kit that includes something a bit wider or try and negotiate a kit that includes say the Sigma 10-20 and another lens to give you your zoomability (new word).
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello,

Thanks for the prompt and informative reply!

Much appreciated!

Account Closed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It depends a bit on how enthousiast you are.... I "revived" my photo hobby about 4 years ago and bought a 400D kit with two lenses (if I remember well the 17-55mm and the 75-300mm both non-L - fairly simple lenses).

The bug that had been slumbering for 25 years really bit me again and I soon discovered that the entry level stuff is OK, but if you get serious it has its shortcomings. So I bought a 50D body and got some other new glass as well. After another year I upgraded to the 5DMkII.

So, ask yourself how passionate you think you are going to be (or are you already passionate with a P&S right now?). It might be worth your while to save just a bit longer and start with a 50D or something like that - or get the 450D body with better glass (like the 24-105 IS USM L ). Otherwise you'll have to go through the process of selling the "starter stuff" on eBay after upgrading to better gear like I had to....

On the other hand... if you are just looking for a good DSLR: the 450D - successor of the 400D - is a very good camera and Canon kit lenses are still Canon lenses!

Ausphotography Site Sponsor/Advertiser OzzieTraveller's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    G'day npssmphs

As others above have mentioned - there is lots for you to choose from
    Whether you choose Canon or Nikon or Pentax, they all have a good "entry level" body choice. My vote would be for you to spend 1/2 hour in the shop playing with the various body options and seeing how each fits your hand/fingers/eye & how you find the menus -- are they easy to follow etc etc

For a lens for a trip to Europe, I would be suggesting something like an 18-125 ... not much bigger & heavier than an 18-75, but it would give you that extra reach when ever you needed a bit more

Hope this helps a bit ...
    Regards, Phil
    Of all the stuff in a busy photographers kitbag, the ability to see photographically is the most important
    google me at Travelling School of Photography
    images.: flickr.com/photos/ozzie_traveller/sets/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would suggest whichever of the zooms you get you also pick up a 50mm 1.8.

It is only $100-$150 and looks like a cheap piece of plastic but is the thing that could make the biggest difference to your photography and speedy development - plus if you are still enthusiastic in 2 years I bet it is the only piece of the kit you haven't replaced. It will get you plenty of shots inside (imp in Europe) and at night that would not be possible with the zooms mentioned.

Good luck with it.
    Check out my new site - www.wattsgallery.com - feedback welcome

Gear - Canon 5D, 40D, 10-22, 24-70 2.8L, 200 2.8L, 50 1.8, 430EXII

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great kit to start with I think. The 17-85 is a good lens, and the 450D is a good camera that does me well enough that I will only upgrade to a 5D or better.
    Canon EOS450D+battery grip, 16GB SD, EF-S 18-200mm IS, EF-S 10-22mm, EF50mm1.8II, 2x Manfrotto tripods, LowePro Flipside 300

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by npssmphs View Post
    Hello,

I am considering purchasing the Canon EOS 450D Enthusiast Kit (450DB & EF-S 17 - 85mm IS USM).

I plan to primarily focus on landscapes and would like something to "walkaround" with in Europe next year.

I don't wish to spend more than about $1500 to start with.

The 450D Enthusiast Kit seems like a decent introductory package, but I would appreciate a sanity check prior to purchasing.

Thanks for your help, any suggestions/comments would be great.

Cheers,

npssmphs

With the budget you have in mind, I think this will be a great place to start your hobby into the DSLR world
    Steve

Equipment: A couple of Canons with some lenses and a heap of enthusiasm

Ausphotography Site Sponsor/Advertiser OzzieTraveller's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    G'day fellas

Last week I was in my local [canberra] Ted's camera shop [hope it's okay to name it here] and they had several Canon, Nikon, Pentax 'entry systems' + the Sigma 18-125 HSM selling for $750 ... so I reckon you are well within your budget

Hope this helps...
    Regards, Phil

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think that you are looking in the right direction, it's always a good idea to get a better lens rather than a kit one. The 450D is a great camera!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by vk2gwk View Post
    It depends a bit on how enthousiast you are....

So I bought a 50D body and got some other new glass as well. After another year I upgraded to the 5DMkII.

So, ask yourself how passionate you think you are going to be (or are you already passionate with a P&S right now?). It might be worth your while to save just a bit longer and start with a 50D or something like that - or get the 450D body with better glass (like the 24-105 IS USM L ). Otherwise you'll have to go through the process of selling the "starter stuff" on eBay after upgrading to better gear like I had to....
    I totally agree with vk2gwk, if you are serious then skip the starter kits and get the decent body and lens that way you will skip the process of trying to off load the kit lenes to fund better glass and body. Even I went through the same process and now looking back I would have taken vk2gwk advice if I had come across it when starting out and actually saved money in the process.
    Good luck
    The fastest way to a man's heart is through his chest with a sharp knife
    Canon 50D,
    Tamron 70-200 f/2.8, A very bright light, EF 50 f1.8, Tamron 17-50 f2.8