User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  0

Thread: Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM repalcement due?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM repalcement due?

Hi Guys,

I wondered if anyone can shed some light on whether an EF 100-400mm replacement is due anytime soon? I have made the decision to purcahse this as my first "L" lens, mainly for outdoor sports (equestrian, motorsports) and wildlife. What has me concerned is the fact that this lens has been out for some time now. This can be looked at in a few ways I guess (eg It cannot be improved any further, They are still selling well so no need to invest R&D into a new model, etc). The 70-200mm f/2.8 has gone through a few upgrades since its relese and I'd be a bit disappointed if I forked out the cash with a refreshed/upgraded model on the horizon.

Any feedback welcome.

Thanks,

JP.

Ausphotography Veteran
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If Canon has a replacement in the works, that generally will not be known to the public.

Canon tends to keep a tight lid on its developments, and while people on the Internet love to speculate and feed the rumour mill, such comments are generally to be regarded as wishful thinking rather than actual knowledge of upcoming product announcements.

The 70-200/2.8L IS has only received one upgrade. While Canon in the past has had mark III and even mark IV versions of some of its entry-level lenses, it's not common for a lens to be upgraded beyond a mark II, and there have been no L-series lenses to have attained mark III status.

Account Closed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have one and would not worry about any replacement. This is a great lens for birding, sports and the like. Good image quality and sturdy. For recent examples have a look at my Flickr site where I put some recent surfing shots - most of which are 25% crops.