User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  0

Thread: Canon 7D OOF issues

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Canon 7D OOF issues

Hi all, recently purchased a 7D, 24-105mmL F4 & 50mm F1.8II prime lens. Have read the manual and started shooting pics in "Full Auto" mode just to get started.. Well I was dissapointed with results as almost all had OOF issues.. Must add that I shooting indoor subjects at 2-4m range and sometimes closer. Progressed to shooting in the other modes with Single Point AF and results were better but still not what I was expecting. Ultimately move on to using One Shot Single Point AF. Results were now good. I get the same outcomes no matter which lens I use. With the setup I purchased I was expecting better results. My question is - do othere have similiar experiences? Why would Canon provide an Auto feature that does not appear to work in my shooting environment? I know that I should not be using the Auto mode, but at times it is just easier to set to auto and get those quick happy snaps.

If it's not normal should I consider sending it in to Canon for a check up...

Feedback appreciated.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Can you post some of the photos so we can see what you mean. We are able to more accurately diagnose and advise if we can see examples.
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi, Three pics attached
    IMG_2559_s : Shooting Mode Auto
    IMG_2560_s : Shooting Mode Manual
    IMG_2561_s : Shooting Mode Program
    Attached Images Attached Images

Ausphotography Veteran
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Prado, the gear you have bought is first class stuff, your shot #2 is the one to look at. Canon put the "auto" mode on most if not all their cameras for wealthy P/S shooters who want to "upstage" their friends with a new DSLR.
    You don't want that type of thing I imagine so use either Av (aperture) mode or Tv (shutter speed) mode to begin with. You need to check-out the excellent tutorials on this website for more info on how to use high-end DSLR's, to summarise try this:-

Set your ISO (top of camera right side) at ISO 100.

Set the program dial to Av and roll the top dial to f8 or f11 to begin with.

Compose your shot by pressing the shutter button half way down and then take the shot.

If it's too dark you can either increase yor ISO to 200 or open the aperture to f5.6

This is just for starters, there are thousands of other things you can do but I don't want to confuse you with too much jargon, all these things come with practice and there is absolutely NO substitute for practice...keep going and have patience
    Richard
    I've been wrong before!! Happy to have constructive criticism though.Gear used Canon 50D, 7D & 5DMkII plus expensive things hanging off their fronts and of course a "nifty fifty".

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The first image has the narrow depth of field way in front of the flat surface as can be seen by the detail of the table.
    The second and third image has the flat surface of the radio in focus.
    Full automode allows your camera choose the focus points for you and is indicated by the flashing red squares. If it flashed over the table, it would choose to focus on that. If you don't like the focus points, just repeat the half press technique and the camera will choose another set of focus points you might be happy with.
    With the manual setting, you choose the focus point and have control of the camera.
    "The greatest camera in the world is the one you hold in your hands when shit happens." ©2007 Raoul Isidro

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The focus point and the depth of field (apeture) is going influence your outcomes above anything else with L series lenses at least, you know it is not the lens that is at fault, it is probably things like focal length, depth of field, shutter speed and focus point selection and movement of the camera in the shooting process that you need to look at.
    Comments and CC welcome..

Gear: Canon 6D & 1Ds Cameras l Canon EF 17-40mm F 4.0 L USM l Canon EF 24-105mm F4.0 L IS USM l Canon EF 70 - 200 F4.0 L USM Lenses I Manfrotto Tripods I Adobe Photoshop CS6 l Lightroom 3.0 I Lee Filters

"The real voyage of discovery consists not in seeking new landscapes but in having new eyes." Marcel Proust 1871 - 1922

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    youre not going to get sharp shots with handholding at 1/50s with a 105mm lens with an object that is not perpendicular from top to bottom and left to right with your lens
    Darren
    Gear : Nikon Goodness
    Please support Precious Hearts
    Constructive Critique of my images always appreciated

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the feedback. Have attached the first pic "Auto" with AF points showing... Clearly shows them on the dial face of the radio... Correct it is 1/60 F4 but so is the last shot taken in "Program" mode.
    In program mode it is possible to sync the flash @ 1/250th via the menu setting. However it does not appear as an option in "Auto" mode... Regardless of the light light conditions the OOF issue is still there in auto mode indoors or outdoors.
    I choose this camera for its ability to shoot low light.... Just not happy with any pics taken in "auto" mode. Would be interested to hear / see results from others when pics are taken in "auto mode...

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi,
    Have tried to sort out my issues with my camera and finally came to the conclusion that I need to contact Canon. So I called them today. After giving them the details of my camera setup and OOF issues I'm having, they immediately told me to send in the camera and lenses for calibration. This I will do ASAP... Will post the finding here when I get the camera back. Cheers Prado.

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi,
    My camera and lens came back from Canon and everything is OK... Did some focus tests and it shows the body and lens to be spot on... even cross referenced the focus test using my lens on another camera body. This was spot on also. Very happy now... Cheers

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Prado. I'm glad you were able to sort your set up out with Canon. I'm also curious to see a few more shots (maybe of the same radio) so that we can also see the difference.
    Cheers
    Cheers Peter
    Canon 7D...Canon 40D...Canon 24-70L 2.8...Canon 70-200L 2.8...Canon 17-85...Canon 50mm...Speedlights....Tripods...Filters... Battery grips.... And heaps of other stuff

There are always two people in every picture.. the photographer and the viewer.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Prado, I was very interested to hear how you got on with your camera and lens. Can you tell me how long it took to get it all fixed up and was there any cost involved?

Pleased to hear you had a good result
    Carole

Canon 550D|Canon 15-85mm|Canon 70-300mm|Canon 100mm f2.8 macro|50mm f1.8 II|
    Sony NEX 6|Sony 16-50mm| Sony 55-210mm|Sony RX100
    www.carolelloydphotography.com

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi,
    Recent pic attached taken after the lens was fixed up..
    Took about 10 days to get the camera, lens looked at.... all costs covered under warranty... Was most impressed with the Canon Service centre...

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lots of posts about a soft focus issue if you google canon 7d soft focus. Could this be an example?