Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Apple 'Mousetrap'

Could this be the beginning of the end for little mousey

http://www.cnbc.com/id/38537235/

There aren’t many sacred cows left in computing – the beige box, CRT and floppy drive are dead. But the mouse has remained. Until now.

Apple calls it the Magic TrackPad.

And if you use a Mac, for USD$69, with a pinch and a swipe, it might just kill your computer mouse.

OK, maybe that's a bit extreme — even the folks at Apple who invented the thing aren't saying this will replace the old mouse entirely.

But the smooth silvery surface, about the size of a CD jewel case, is probably the first mainstream peripheral that credibly could. This wireless, battery-controlled surface will feel familiar to users of Apple’s laptops, iPhones and iPad: Two fingers scroll, three roll, and four clear the screen.

It’s a big change from moving your wrist and clicking buttons. But just because Steve Jobs likes it, don’t assume it’ll change the world: Apple has occasionally made mice people hated. Hockey puck, anyone?

For what it’s worth, though, I like it.

Even though I don't own one of Apple's newer laptops that use the same gestures as the Magic TrackPad, after just a couple of minutes I had the hang of it.

The best thing about it is that it made quick work of functions that are otherwise assigned to obscure keyboard shortcuts, and allowed me to use simple motions to switch between apps, view all of my open windows or flip through photos. Plus, my wrist didn't get the usual mouse treatment of having to move at awkward angles to make the cursor hit the far corners of the screen.

Will it replace the mouse overnight? Not a chance. The gestures work with Macs only, and that's just a sliver of the market. But I do think this could signal the beginning of the end for the old-fashioned pointing device. In an age where touch is a hit, it might be time for the good old mouse to go.
    Attitude is everything!

Cheers, Paul

Nikon

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think that the mouse will still be used for a long time to come. More precision for jobs that need it and for gaming.
    Having said that, when software starts being written to take advantage of multitouch surfaces then gaming will change.
    Canon 550D, Tamron 2.8 17-50 VC

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul G View Post
    Could this be the beginning of the end for little mousey
    Never.

I'm a draftsman and could never use one of those. Look at how the hand 'cranes' over the touch pad. This is no good for joints or tendens, and will promote RSI.

A good quality, large mouse that the hand lays over in a natural position will be better any day.
    Adam.

AGSPhotos.com

Using Nikon & PS CS5.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BLWNHR View Post
    Never.

I'm a draftsman and could never use one of those. Look at how the hand 'cranes' over the touch pad. This is no good for joints or tendens, and will promote RSI.
    Personally I much prefer a pad & stylus for cad

Quote Originally Posted by colinbm View Post
    Mouse Rules !

This is still a mouse .....the only killer will come when a device is able to track reflections off the retina. Icon will track where you look...then Blinking left eye twice for a click blink right eye twice for right click options.... ""

Can you really inagine blinking & winking all day long ???????

Col
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EXuRgfjlXTs

That you tube video is of eldest son & three of his mates final year Electrical Engineering project from 3 years ago - computer control by eeg

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah no thanks for me as well. Will definitely take a mouse over that any day.

I like where it's going though. If they could have something like that but the size of a keyboard and would respond to stylus as well. Perhaps.

Amor fati!
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    wat tha!!!

I CANT FRAG OUT WITH THAT, MAN!

no the mouse aint gunna die, but for general internet, WP etc this coudl easily replace the mouse.

Site Rules Breach - Permanent Ban
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mouse Rules !
    Touch Pad & Tablet are OK in there right place, but the Mouse is everything.
    I like the last comment in the article.

""matteroner | Aug 5, 2010 07:24 PM ET
    This is still a mouse .....the only killer will come when a device is able to track reflections off the retina. Icon will track where you look...then Blinking left eye twice for a click blink right eye twice for right click options.... ""

Cheers
    Col

Amor fati!
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cheers
    Col
    we do it as an involuntary action all day anyhow

Site Rules Breach - Permanent Ban
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The improvement I would love to see is an extra ENTER button on the left hand side of the keyboard, as well.
    Because everytime you are using the mouse you have to let go of it to press ENTER with your right hand, while your left hand sits idle.
    Cheers
    Col

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The improvement I would love to see is an extra ENTER button on the left hand side of the keyboard, as well.
    Because everytime you are using the mouse you have to let go of it to press ENTER with your right hand, while your left hand sits idle.
    Cheers
    Col
    You could try remapping one of the keys, say the Windows key, to be another Enter
    http://www.ehow.com/how_4516455_map-keyboard-keys.html

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd prefer this:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fVhggGSjXVg

A headset that reads your thoughts

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Track Ball

Give me a track ball mouse any day of the week.

Account Closed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    omg apple has invented the trackpad.. just j/k

Don't like multi-touch trackpads on laptops myself, even with addon apps to support gestures, they just aren't as natural to use as a mouse..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think the apple track pads are good, but I agree with the guys above. I do a lot of drafting work and track pads are terrible for that kind of work. You still need something like a traditional mouse.

Boo53: Do you use CAD or Revit with your stylus? I was thinking that one of those would be better for drafting but not too sure how they'd navigate in a 3D environment which my work flow requires.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use an Apple Magic Mouse with my iMac and would be very reluctant to use anything else now.
    It has the benefit of tracking accurately, like a standard mouse, but can scroll any which way just with finger movement on its smooth surface, like the trackpad. It can also be configured to recognise and act on different finger movements and taps to do a heap of things not available to an ordinary mouse.
    It took me literally 5 minutes to get really comfortable and now it just seems so natural.
    Mike

The real voyage of discovery consists not in seeking new landscapes, but in having new eyes.
    Marcel Proust

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by blissful View Post
    I use an Apple Magic Mouse with my iMac and would be very reluctant to use anything else now.
    It has the benefit of tracking accurately, like a standard mouse, but can scroll any which way just with finger movement on its smooth surface, like the trackpad. It can also be configured to recognise and act on different finger movements and taps to do a heap of things not available to an ordinary mouse.
    It took me literally 5 minutes to get really comfortable and now it just seems so natural.
    Yep I've got one of those too, great little mouse. Bit of an adjustment when working in Windows and need a middle bottom but its fine.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For CAD (3D) I couldnt go without a spaceball.