Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  0

Thread: CFL lighting

Account Closed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

CFL lighting

On eBay I came across this set for just about $ 200 (incl. shipping).

I wonder if there is anyone with experience with this particular seller and these lights.
    How would 2 x 4 x 50W CFL work out. I am not a professional and would like this as additional light for my small object photography (and maybe the odd portrait).

Account Closed
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No one?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    they will be very very weak in terms of lighting the subject and the lighting will be less appealing than using studio strobes against a back drop

but if you are using it primarily on a casual and fun basis, 200 bucks plus shipping is not bad!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    mmm .. for product stuff maybe, but people photography .. no, I wouldnt.

Youve already got a couple of nice flash options in your sig so Im a bit confused as to why youd be interested in spending money on these things.
    Hi Im Darren

www.darrengrayphotography.com

SONY A850 (FF)] + GRIP | SONY A350 (APS-C) + GRIP | SONY NEX-5 +16 2.8 + 18-55 E-MOUNT LENSES | CZ 85 1.4 | 50 1.4 | 28-75 2.8 | 70-200 2.8 | 2 x 42AMs | 24" imac | LR | CS4 | + loads of other junk

Ausphotography Site Sponsor/Advertiser OzzieTraveller's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    G'day Henk

From a qwik look at the ref site, I feel "a bit both ways" here

SO -
    2x lamp units is okay
    each lamp unit has 4 bulbs

As I understand it, these fluoro bulbs have an equivalent output equal to "double the old bulbs" ... so 4 x 50w here gives the same as 4 x 100w of the old bulbs ... therefore you are shooting with an equivalent of 2 light units each giving the equiv of 400watts of output

From experience, 400watts of light is okay for home use / small use, as to using ISO-400 for a decent exposure as well.
    Sure - flash is superb, quick & often quite powerful, but expensive when compared with this option

Your sig says that you have several flash guns available - okay for lots of things
    If you want some floodlights, go & get these and give them a good going over
    If the really don't suit you, then I'm sure that you can find another use for them

Go for it and have fun
    Regards, Phil
    Of all the stuff in a busy photographers kitbag, the ability to see photographically is the most important
    google me at Travelling School of Photography
    images.: flickr.com/photos/ozzie_traveller/sets/