Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  1

Thread: Firefox and Internet Security

Still in the Circle of Confusion Cage's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Firefox and Internet Security

I have just downloaded and installed Firefox 3.6.8 to use with this website.

Do I need another anti-virus program, ie a stand-alone program for Firefox, or will my current program (Microsoft Security Essentials) also check Firefox.

Thanks

Kevin
    Cheers
    Kev

Nikon D810: D600 (Astro Modded): D7200 and 'stuff', lots of 'stuff'

Moderately Underexposed
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Kevin, there are quite a few capable free anti virus programs out there and we use AVG as it seems to do the job and doesn't consume a ton of resources. It does slow the pc down a bit when performing a scheduled scan but hardly noticeable.

In the 12 months or so that I have had it on this machine it has detected two viruses and "dealt" with them and I can't say as I know of any that have slipped through. It has also "warned" about dodgy sites that contain malicious code on a few occasions.

Also consider using Mozilla Thunderbird as your email program, it seems to do an effective job of blocking unwanted garbage.

AVG can be downloaded at ------- http://download.cnet.com/AVG-Anti-Vi...-10320142.html
    Andrew
    Nikon, Fuji, Nikkor, Sigma, Tamron, Tokina and too many other bits and pieces to list.

Amor fati!
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    also consider Avast AV. I have been using it for a while now and its practically non-intrusive. that said i cant imagine that you'd need another AV proggy if you already have one and asking you to change would just be showing anti-MS sentiment.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Kevin,

Your current software should do the trick. We have recently rolled out MS Scurity Essentials for all our work laptops (Gov Organisation) that aren't on our network often and it seems to do the trick.

In saying that I use AVG at home and have never had an issue with it..

One piece of advise though as it sounds your a little bit new with Anti Virus, DON'T install two different brands of AV software. Some people seem to think it creates more protection, but they will more than likely end up detecting each other as virus', causing a world of headaches!!
    Cheers, Brad

Still in the Circle of Confusion
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks all.

Brad, the question did sound a little newbie didn't it. I also have IE8 and the thought crossed my mind that MSE may only check it's own browser. I also used AVG for many years up until I installed Windows 7 Pro 64bit and from memory there was a compatibility gliche.

Cheers

Kevin

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by trublubiker View Post
    Thanks all.

Brad, the question did sound a little newbie didn't it. I also have IE8 and the thought crossed my mind that MSE may only check it's own browser. I also used AVG for many years up until I installed Windows 7 Pro 64bit and from memory there was a compatibility gliche.

Cheers

Kevin
    No worries, sorry didn't mean to offend, its just that I have seen it done a few times

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    MSE will be fine.
    Also consider dloading CCleaner (free) & get into the habit of running that once a week.

I use to have AVG.
    MSE seems to do a better job IMO
    Simone

"If you're good at something, never do it for free." -- The Joker.

dieselpower
    Firefox scans its downloads with microsoft security essentials just fine. I've been using it since it was in beta over 12 months ago and am very happy with it.