Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  2

Thread: Opanda EXIF & Firefox

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Opanda EXIF & Firefox

This is driving me insane!

Running Firefox v3.6.8, Opanda IExif v2.3 w/plugin and I simply cannot get any photos on the net to show any EXIF data, even ones I know have the data.

Google doesn't bring up anyone with the same problem; the only cases I've seen have been people that have installed Opanda IExif but not the Firefox plug-in. I've installed and re-installed the plugin several times, but I simply do not get the EXIF option when I right-click on a photo. I've even tried dragging the picture into the IExif application, but it always shows "No EXIF data available".

Anyone else had this problem? Any ideas?

I know there are other EXIF plugins available for Firefox, but I want to know why this isn't working, and/or why I'm seemingly the only one on the planet who can't get it working!!!
    --
    Nikon D90
    Nikkor 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR II, Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G
    Nikon SB-700 Speedlight
    RRS BH-55 Ballhead & B2 AS II Clamp
    (no legs yet)

Moderately Underexposed
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just downloading it and going to try it.

What OS are you using, it doesn't specify that it is available for windows 7 ----
    Andrew
    Nikon, Fuji, Nikkor, Sigma, Tamron, Tokina and too many other bits and pieces to list.

Moderately Underexposed
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just downloading it and going to try it. ---------

Installed.

I am having the same result, the stand alone exif viewer works but absolutely no luck with the FF plug in in 3.6.8

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by I @ M View Post
    What OS are you using, it doesn't specify that it is available for windows 7 ----
    Win XP SP2

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've sent an email to Opanda technical support. Not sure if they answer queries about their free software though...

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm currently running firefox 3.6.8 and Opanda IExif 2.3 plugin - on win XP SP3. It runs fine. (Admittedly, Opanda was installed over an older firefox, whcih has subsequently been upgraded in place.) I doubt that SP3 would fix your problem, but it is the only version difference I can see.

Is it possible that an ad blocker or anti-virus software is getting in the way? (Also, have you rebooted the computer? You shouldn't need to, but I have found it sometimes fixes odd issues such as this.)
    Regards, Rob

D600, AF-S 35mm f1.8G DX, AF-S 50mm f1.8G, AF-S 24-85mm f3.5-4.5G ED VR, AF-S 70-300mm F4.5-5.6G VR, Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM
    Photos: geeoverbar.smugmug.com Software: CS6, Lightroom 4

Still in the Circle of Confusion Cage's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I downloaded and installed Firefox yesterday to use for this website.
    I also downloadad the ExifViewer Add-on which works fine.

Does Opanda give more info ?

Kevin
    Cheers
    Kev

Nikon D810: D600 (Astro Modded): D7200 and 'stuff', lots of 'stuff'

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by farmer_rob View Post
    I doubt that SP3 would fix your problem, but it is the only version difference I can see.

Is it possible that an ad blocker or anti-virus software is getting in the way? (Also, have you rebooted the computer? You shouldn't need to, but I have found it sometimes fixes odd issues such as this.)
    I don't have SP3 installed for other reasons, and don't intend installing it. That said, I very much doubt it is the cause of the problem.

I don't have any anti-virus software installed. I do have AdBlock+, and a few other add-ons in Firefox. I can't see how the ad blocker would cause I problem, but I could try disabling it. I did actually disable one of my other add-ons, which was a Web Developer tool, to no avail.

Thanks anyway. I'll play more with disabling add-ons...

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by trublubiker View Post
    Does Opanda give more info ?
    Nothing on the website in any of the FAQs. Yet to get a response from support...

Ausphotography Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tcdev View Post
    Nothing on the website in any of the FAQs. Yet to get a response from support...
    When you downloaded the stand alone and plugin, what format were they in?

Windows has a nasty habit these days of putting a "block" on downloaded zip, exe and msi files. Right click the downloaded file and choose "Properties". If there is an "Unblock" button at the bottom right of the resulting dialogue you should click that, then remove the old installation and install again.

I don't know why but this feature doesn't actually "block" an installation of software but it DOES block some components of the installation, so that may be what happened in your case. Just a suggestion.
    Waz
    Be who you are and say what you mean, because those who matter don't mind don't matter and those who mind don't matter - Dr. Seuss...
    D700 x 2 | Nikkor AF 50 f/1.8D | Nikkor AF 85 f/1.8D | Optex OPM2930 tripod/monopod | Enthusiasm ...

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WhoDo View Post
    I don't know why but this feature doesn't actually "block" an installation of software but it DOES block some components of the installation, so that may be what happened in your case. Just a suggestion.
    Thanks for the tip, but no, the plug-in appears to be successfully installed. I've just installed it at work (same OS, same Firefox version, mostly the same Firefox add-ons installed) and I get the same behavior. I just can't believe that I'm the only one that can't get it working?!?

EDIT: just found that typing "about: plugins" in the URL bar reveals that it isn't actually running. Tried downloading the .xpi to my hard disk and installing from there... still no luck. But at least now I know that the plugin isn't running, for what that's worth..
    Last edited by tcdev; 04-08-2010 at 2:26pm.

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't have SP3 installed for other reasons, and don't intend installing it. That said, I very much doubt it is the cause of the problem.

I don't have any anti-virus software installed. I do have AdBlock+, and a few other add-ons in Firefox. I can't see how the ad blocker would cause I problem, but I could try disabling it. I did actually disable one of my other add-ons, which was a Web Developer tool, to no avail.

Thanks anyway. I'll play more with disabling add-ons...
    I doubt SP3 would fix it too.

I run Ad Muncher and Avast anti virus, as well as Greasemonkey and NoScript. These are certainly not disrupting Opanda on my system.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, nothing in 24hrs from Opanda. Not surprising, I haven't actually purchased anything from them... and at this rate, won't be any time soon either...

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In case anyone stumbles across this thread in future looking for the solution - I've given up.

Nothing at all from Opanda. If they ever wanted me to upgrade from the free version, they've blown their chance. I'll be uninstalling their Exif viewer and looking elsewhere.

It's all about the Light!
    Tech Admin
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kym View Post
    Thanks! Would you recommend one over the other?

Ausphotography Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks! Would you recommend one over the other?
    I would. I prefer FxIF because it is simple and uncomplicated like me; just the facts you need and nothing more.

The others tend to provide much more data but IMHO a lot less information. Kym will appreciate that analogy.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WhoDo View Post
    I would. I prefer FxIF because it is simple and uncomplicated like me; just the facts you need and nothing more.
    Thanks! Just realised I can install both at the same time, and decide for myself, or even leave both enabled. I do see your point though!