Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Photography Career Advice

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by farmmax View Post
    If you are interested in trying to generate some income from photography, reach out and go for it.

Not so much for all the reasons given by everyone else, but simply because being on even a part disability pension and dealing with Centrelink is soul destroying. Even seeking the dream of being a full or part time photographer will probably have enormous mental benefits.

Wring every bit of support out of Centrelink you can - courses in particular.

Good luck, and many good wishes.
    I couldn't agree more farmmax and steve
    Last edited by Duane Pipe; 06-08-2010 at 9:39am.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gremlin View Post
    Along with what Raoul said above I can totally relate, I have a pillar fractured C6 in my neck and nerve damage in shoulders, and cannot hold a camera without a vertical grip on it my arm above cam for 5-10mins gives me hell, if I want to go take pics for a few hours I have to ensure Im suitably "pain killered up" before hand. I know Ill never be able to be reliable due to weekly migraines and the car accident (not my fault!!) a month ago stuffed me even further. Not trying to tread on toes here, but just keep that in mind with your injuries that I can TOTALLY sympathise with, so going for paid work, keep in mind the reliability factor, one fallen thru job can stuff your reputation. Id love to be able to do studio work one day but my plan is not for at least 24more mths, well thats if the insurance company stop screwing me around getting me treated for a w/cover related injury sighhhhh So ive given up on the idea of tog as a career path. Just a obsessive hobby that maybe one day I can if my levels improve properly I could make a few bucks on but only if I get that good So Im still partially at my day job, but I wont give up just yet, theres a mad scientist surgeon out there somewhere for me!!
    Best of luck to you, I wish you well and just remember to enjoy your photography too!
    Gremlin...
    Gday gremlin im sorry to hear about your situation I know exactly how you feel, But where there's a will there's a way. I have an interest in photography so why not have a go. When you find that scientist let me know! you take care Gremlin

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kiwi View Post
    Here's the thing, doing photography professionally is quite physical...,lots of gear and very heavy pro grade cameras and lenses around your neck. Lots of crouching, kneeling etc

For event work I strap 4kg on one shoulder and 8kg on another shoulder

It may not be the physically soft job option unfortunately

You also will need to be damn good at business and artistically gifted also

Good luck
    Hi Kiwi I could get some type of harness made up to carry the gear that way it would distribute the load more evenly, My lower back is ok so no prob there. Cheers Mate

Account Closed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Duane Pipe View Post
    Hi Kiwi I could get some type of harness made up to carry the gear that way it would distribute the load more evenly, My lower back is ok so no prob there. Cheers Mate
    A harness system is already available in the Lowpro range.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Longshots View Post
    Dave - in all honesty, there's little point in people talking about what can be achieved in relation to how much someone can potentially earn. This is a little bit like putting money on the horse and cart race, before anyone's seen the horse. What would be far more helpful for you - prior to discussing heading off into an industry with great ambitions on earning potentials and the like - is to show some examples of your photography first.
    * Comment removed- innapropriate - Admin *. Duane's need is to establish his business credentials first and foremost. He needs to know if he can earn enough money to pay for all the gear he needs plus feed his family. Whether he takes good photos or not is important down the track but out of the realm of this forum to make judgement. You rarely see a commercial photo displayed here and I say that with all due reverence.
    Personally, I know the photographic industry is highly competitive and even without a handicap survival is tenuous. Let's not fool anyone that may need to spend large amounts of money to pursue their dream.
    Duane, spend a $100 and go and get professional advice on business before you do anything.
    Last edited by ricktas; 06-08-2010 at 7:08pm.
    Photojournalist | Filmmaker | Writer | National Geographic | Royal Geographic

D3x and other gear.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    speaking of harnesses what about those harness shoulder things you can buy for using dslrs as a film camera(video) they might work for distributing load, I have a cheaper version of a steadycam unit, it has a full upper body harness with the springy doodat(back when i was into video work which Ive had to give up, another thing ) but I did find that unit allowed me to work longer as the harness and springy thing worked well. Theres another cheaper version that basically hangs from your shoulder.

One day I'll take some serious photos, just not today
    Canon 50D | 450D Gripped | 50mm 1.8| 18-55 | 100-300 | Tamron 17-50 f2.8 | 85mm f1.8 | Manfrotto Tripod | Studio Flashies | 430EX | Loads of useless gadgets | All this gear and still no idea.....

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Redgum View Post
    I'm sorry William, that's so far from the truth. Duane's need is to establish his business credentials first and foremost. He needs to know if he can earn enough money to pay for all the gear he needs plus feed his family. Whether he takes good photos or not is important down the track but out of the realm of this forum to make judgement. You rarely see a commercial photo displayed here and I say that with all due reverence.
    Personally, I know the photographic industry is highly competitive and even without a handicap survival is tenuous. Let's not fool anyone that may need to spend large amounts of money to pursue their dream.
    Duane, spend a $100 and go and get professional advice on business before you do anything.
    Yeah I might make arrangements to see my accountant, Thanks Redgum

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dave
    There is some fantastic and inspiring advice on this thread. I think it is great that instead of mopping about your injuries you are looking at alternatives. I guess I am a risk averse person and have convinced myself that I could never replicate my salary by turning my passion into a business (but it is a decision that I question everyday I put on a tie and head to the office).

I think the comments about the focus on business and the physically demanding nature of the work seem pretty accurate from seeing friends follow this path. One area you might consider is your interest in the post capture photography process. To have a photography business (at least to begin with) you will need to get a good grasp not only on the taking of the photo but also the processing, printing, internet selling, and marketing. In fact this side of the work can take more time than the shoots in my limited experience.

While the shooting is physically demanding there is a lot of other areas of the work that you could try and excell in (if you have an interest for it) that could be a focus for your business. You may not be interested in these aspects at all (which is a bit of a worry to begin with) but if you are then it could be an answer to the concerns about the physical nature of photography.

Sorry my post is a bit convoluted but I hope you get what I mean.

Wish you all the best
    Josh
    Last edited by wattsgallery; 06-08-2010 at 4:36pm.
    Check out my new site - www.wattsgallery.com - feedback welcome

Gear - Canon 5D, 40D, 10-22, 24-70 2.8L, 200 2.8L, 50 1.8, 430EXII

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Josh I have recently got hold of Photoshop-CS5, Its a Big learning curve but I will master it!. If i do decide to head down this path (Photography) By the time i have a business plan and a marketing strategy worked out, I should also have my photography and editing skills up to scratch or thereabouts....
    In the mean time why not try to sell on line, For example a Stock photography site, there would be a few members of AP that have tried ,surely. PS Should I start this in a new thread. Thanks Josh...

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Stock libraries... Do not expect to get rich of them, have a look at these threads:

http://www.ausphotography.net.au/for...ad.php?t=34063
    http://www.ausphotography.net.au/for...ad.php?t=58640
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Redgum View Post
    *comment removed - innpropriate - Admin* Duane's need is to establish his business credentials first and foremost. He needs to know if he can earn enough money to pay for all the gear he needs plus feed his family. Whether he takes good photos or not is important down the track but out of the realm of this forum to make judgement. You rarely see a commercial photo displayed here and I say that with all due reverence.
    I cant understand why you think that view is so far from the truth ? To me its just so glaringly obvious. You clearly dont agree with it. Which is fine, good healthy discussion and views. But these are all views. Not something you differentiate between truth and lies.

Think of those American/Australian Idol entrants. Plenty of talent out there, sometimes exceptional, but sometimes there are a poor few who (the production loves and raises the ratings) who have never met with honest feedback, and thats the point. As a photographer of 35 years, speaker, and educator, I've seen some great talent, and I've seen plenty of people who have bought the "professional" camera, and the "professional" accompanying equipment and unfortunately they have had no grasp at all.

Now I'm not saying that Dave doesnt have any, but I'm suggesting hey if you want some good advice, some honest advice, then the 10 or 20% of effort in taking pics, which its already been suggested to be a "photographer" is still an important 10 or 20% - then its probably going to be more helpful to put up a few images to demonstrate what could be his full time career.

Considering that two other significant members thanked my comment, I dont think I'm alone in saying that could be a good starting point.
    Last edited by Longshots; 06-08-2010 at 7:55pm.
    William

www.longshots.com.au

I am the PhotoWatchDog

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree with William, big difference between running a photography business and being a photographer and I think the latter comes before the former, or at least I think it should

Duane, hate to be a party pooper all the time but stock is not going to help, you need high quality high volume to earn even a meager amount
    Darren
    Gear : Nikon Goodness
    Please support Precious Hearts
    Constructive Critique of my images always appreciated

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very informative, Thanks for them links Rick. I think Sheila has summed it up in one. You also said there is over 20 million images on Alamy" and that's just one site! It sounds like a very time consuming job, down loading ten thousand images just to make a buck or two, No thanks. Remember when we were kids" you could go to the local tip on your bike and fill up your bags with bottles and then take them to the milkbar around the corner' Those were the days, You could buy a pack of fags, fish & chips and even play the pinnies, sorry where am I That was a great way to earn pocket money Sorry its a bit off topic, but I often think about that due to having a son of 7.. I would like to thank everybody that has replied to this thread ......

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Duane, not sure why you'd spend so much on cs5?

Best to start off simple, ps elements a much better choice, see if you can get a refund and do a swap

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kiwi View Post
    Duane, not sure why you'd spend so much on cs5?

Best to start off simple, ps elements a much better choice, see if you can get a refund and do a swap
    Thanks for the advice Kiwi but I will keep it as I have also been experimenting with Maya and 3ds max for a while now and they incorporates the features of Photoshop, Just another learning curve to add to my list hay!, I suppose its an inexpensive way to kill time in between looking for work, Although since getting involved in AP I have been concentrating on photography. I formatted my computer a few weeks ago and the only major programs that are on there are paint shop pro 7, Photoshop cs5 and Digital Photo Professional which came with the Canon.Cheers Bro

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Inexpensive ? CS5 is not inexpensive....$1000+ more than your camera and lenses are worth probably ...just seems an odd investment to make for a new photographer

Never heard of Maya and 3ds max

It's all about the Light!
    Tech Admin
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    CS5 is cheap(ish) if your a student

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kym View Post
    gotta scan your student ID and/or timetable proof and email Adobe and wait for them to approve and activate it

its for full time students only, I dont think Duane is one hehe

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    im sure it is cheaper, still exe though

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kym View Post
    It's also not licensed for commercial use.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast