User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  0

Thread: imac specs questions - help

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

imac specs questions - help

I don't wish to start a PC v imac fiasco so please don't let this thread go that way.

So, lets say I was giving thought to the purchase of an imac to replace a PC laptop. I don't have the experience or wish to go down the custom build process either so that option has been ruled out for a number of reasons.

What is the minimum or even ideal specs in terms of processor.
    Does Duo Core do the trick (currently on special as being replaced by i3) or is quad i5 necessary. I do not plan on gaming as far too much to do to spend time gaming.

Probably only use Elements and/or Lightroom

Interested to read some thoughts...

thanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    what's your budget?
    Calxoddity
    Concert Pianist, Test Pilot, Pathological Liar

Nikon D40, Sigma 17-70 F2.8-4.5 HSM, Nikkor AF-D 50mm f1.8
    Post Processing: Aperture 3 & Photoshop Elements 6

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Was probably looking around the 2k mark.....that seemed to buy a reasonable setup 27'' screen,1 TB HDD, 4 GB RAM etc with Duo Core for 2.2K which can be had on special this past few weeks now that been replaced with i3 and quad versions. Faster processors and more dedicated graphics memory but necessary, useful?

A royal pain in the bum! arthurking83's Avatar
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BUGSnBIRDS View Post
    I don't wish to start a PC v imac fiasco so please don't let this thread go that way.....
    We won't let this thread go down that path, and any non conforming replies will be deleted promptly as per the wishes of the OP.
    All replies have to be related to the OP's question.

Sorry dunno a thing about Macs, but if you're near Knox City(way, way out in the eastern Melb suburbs), my cousin's son works there.

He seemed to get a decent deal for my sister's step daughter on her new 27" iMac thingy.

and apologies that I can't remember a single spec and price of the system my niece-in-law recently got... my brain doesn't retain non vital info. (brain!?... what brain )
    All I can remember, because we both seemed to get a new computer going in the same week, and I remember being surprised at how cheap her system sounded(for a Mac!.. being traditionally over priced).
    Nikon D800E, D300, D70s
    {Nikon}; -> 50/1.2 : 500/8 : 105/2.8VR Micro : 180/2.8 ais : 105mm f/1.8 ais : 24mm/2 ais
    {Sigma}; ->10-20/4-5.6 : 50/1.4 : 12-24/4.5-5.6II : 150-600mm|S
    {Tamron}; -> 17-50/2.8 : 28-75/2.8 : 70-200/2.8 : 300/2.8 SP MF : 24-70/2.8VC

{Yongnuo}; -> YN35/2N : YN50/1.8N

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't wish to start a PC v imac fiasco so please don't let this thread go that way.

So, lets say I was giving thought to the purchase of an imac to replace a PC laptop. I don't have the experience or wish to go down the custom build process either so that option has been ruled out for a number of reasons.

What is the minimum or even ideal specs in terms of processor.
    Does Duo Core do the trick (currently on special as being replaced by i3) or is quad i5 necessary. I do not plan on gaming as far too much to do to spend time gaming.

Probably only use Elements and/or Lightroom

Interested to read some thoughts...

thanks
    I currently run a 27in 3.06GHz Core 2 Duo with 4GB RAM, running Lightroom 2.5 and Elements 8 with no problems. The only thing I want to do is up the RAM. I would love to take it to 16GB but will move shortly to 8GB. Depending on where you are this can be very cheap after your purchase.
    Peter.

Some of my photo's are at www.peterking.id.au

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    another thing to note is to find out which version your programs are running, if it can be used at 64 bit or only 32 bit

theres a few programs and important plugins for CS5 on my Macbook Pro that I cannot run due to my OSX running at 64 bit and CS5 at 64 bit........very annoying, at least the plugins on Aperture 3 will switch to 32 bit automatically when I use the filters and plugins

reason being is that if you decide to chuck in 8GB of RAM but your programs are still 32 bit capable, it will be a bit of a waste having more RAM for nothing

a Duo Core iMac is still very good and fast at handling photo conversion and editing, provided you dont try to run multiple memory intensive programs at once such as a game with high-end requirements, whilst editing on PS or Lightroom etc.

Account Closed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I run an iMac with 4 gig 3.06 GHz Intel Core Duo, using PSCS 3 suite, NX2 and other programs. All very happy working together. Some of the work I do would be very graphic and very large files....... with what you have out lined there should be no problems

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi again,
    For your budget, that's a nice unit. Echoing some previous comments, more RAM would be a useful addition in the longer term.

Just make sure if you're buying refurb units, that you're picking the right one. Sometimes there'll be different discounts on very similar models.

Regards,
    Calx

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Was probably looking around the 2k mark.....that seemed to buy a reasonable setup 27'' screen,1 TB HDD, 4 GB RAM etc with Duo Core for 2.2K which can be had on special this past few weeks now that been replaced with i3 and quad versions. Faster processors and more dedicated graphics memory but necessary, useful?
    This is the set up I have have, which I use for uni. I'm doing a Bachelor of Visual Communication, which is graphic design, video design, web design etc. Therefore I'm running Adobe Master collection on it, and have no problems with having more than one program of Adobe open and running tasks. Quite often I'll have Photoshop, After Effects, Premiere and Soundbooth open and be working with all four at the same time. Plus I normally work with iTunes running and Facebook going in the background [Typical Uni student!]

Canon 400D | 60mm f2.8 | 18-55mm | 75-300mm| 50mm f1.8 | 430EXII | Photoshop CS4
    Helpful & Honest Critique/Advice appreciated

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Was probably looking around the 2k mark.....that seemed to buy a reasonable setup 27'' screen,1 TB HDD, 4 GB RAM etc with Duo Core for 2.2K
    this is the setup I have and it works perfectly at the moment.

Your should definitely have a look at the refurbished models. I have a couple of friends who have pick up refurbs with 25 - 35% off the retail price. best way to go in my opinion.

try.... http://store.apple.com/au/product/FB...co=MTM3NDc1NzM

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just found out they changed the displayport on the new iMacs so it no longer INPUTS this is a deal breaker for me as it was a very cool feature of the iMac range.
    As stated above go the Dual Core with 4gb ram - up it with more RAM if you go with 64bit programs later on

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

refurbs

Quote Originally Posted by Tonto View Post
    I just found out they changed the displayport on the new iMacs so it no longer INPUTS this is a deal breaker for me as it was a very cool feature of the iMac range.
    As stated above go the Dual Core with 4gb ram - up it with more RAM if you go with 64bit programs later on
    I didn't know that! link?

OP, I'd get the i5 refurb if I was you. Pretty much exactly $2K, powerful (especially if you have to deal with large files) and perfect for your uses. I've had mine since December and I couldn't be happier. It also has a better graphics card which would help if you're using any programs that take advantage of OpenCL (similar to CUDA but not tied to Nvidia).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    27'' screen,1 TB HDD, 4 GB RAM etc with Duo Core for 2.2K which can be had on special this past few weeks now that been replaced with i3 and quad versions.
    This is what I have and it's a wonderful machine! Have had it since November and no regrets so far
    Sam.
    Kiddy Paparazzi, Wife and Mum of 4. Not always in that order!

Nikon F60 & Nikkor 35-80mm, Nikon D700 & Nikkor 50mm 1.4, 24 - 70 f/2.8G, 105mm micro f/2.8G Nikon SB800 speedlight, Casio Exilim P&S and other assorted paraphernalia that takes up too much room in my study!

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks very much to everyone that has taken the time to reply to my thread. Some very helpful confirmation on required 'average/standard' specs for an imac. Won't get too swayed by the sales people saying...really need i7 to view photo's and use the www.

Will also look further at the refurbished options. Was a bit weary about them but Apple says that, cosmetically, they are as new and carry the same warranty, according to the site....so food for thought.

thanks

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tonto View Post
    Without sounding too thick...may I ask what you refer to when you comment no inputs on display port?
    Is this a specific port type on the back of the machine where the firewire and USB ports are etc?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Without sounding too thick...may I ask what you refer to when you comment no inputs on display port?
    Is this a specific port type on the back of the machine where the firewire and USB ports are etc?
    It means that you can no longer hook a laptop up to the iMac to use the iMac as just the screen for another device.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    looking for a similar rig too..
    may be a bit dumb to apple but cant you input via the display port.
    Says the 27 can input on the apple page, but is this not suitable for your needs..

from the apple page..
    "Mini DisplayPort output with support for DVI, VGA, and dual-link DVI (adapters sold separately); 27-inch models also support input from external DisplayPort sources (adapters sold separately) "

Looking at a 27 myself....
    its hard to decide when to stop spending
    feel your pain...

Just waiting for a 10% off sale sometime

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They are on special now so think I will just get an older generation Core Duo 2 and accept the speed isn't quite as fast as the replacement i3 imac but heck the i7 and even i5 are overkill for my requirements. I could get refurbished but I need to be home to accept the parcel and that's difficult when delivery date with the apple store is vague. So shopping trip tomorrow in the big smoke perhaps.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am using a 24" imac with a dual core 2.8 and 2gb of ram and run Aperture 3 Elements 8 and find it runs very well although I would recommend 4gb of ram to speed things up when running some programs,have not run Photoshop on this spec only because I cant afford to buy a mac version (still have a pc version gathering dust now).
    Mike
    Canon 5DmkII, Canon 1DmkIIN, EF 24-105 f4LIS, EF 70-200 f2.8LIS, EF 135 f2L,EF 300 f4LIS, EF 17-40 f4L, EF 100 f2.8 Macro USM, Sigma 50 f1.4 EXDG, 580EX & 420EX,Cokin P filters.
    Tamrac Ultra Pro 17 bag,Lowpro Toploader 75AW,Lowpro Outback 200 belt pack,Black Rapid RS-5 and R-3,Aperture 3,Elements 8.
    Wacom Intuos 4 tablet.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Got an imac on Friday and all fired up now. Can also access ADSL2 which makes loading web pages like a speeding bullet in comparison to the tortoise.

A lot to learn with the Mac OS and then some ediing programmes. Hopefully I'll then be brave enough to put up some photos for CC/feedback.

Thanks to all the contributors to this thread. Very helpful to know/be reassured what specs people were happy with as far as using an iMac for their photography.