Thread: Panasonic Lumix FZ Lenses

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Panasonic Lumix FZ Lenses

I'm thinking of getting the close-up lens DMW-LC55

& telephoto conversion lens DMW-LT55

for the Lumix FZ series. I thought I'd ask here first, if anyone here knows them/has tried them, and what sort of quality they give?

cheers, Diogen3s/Jeff
    Homer says, "It's funny, because it's true."

Ausphotography Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'll be interested too, Jeff. I have the FZ-35, but have not gone into close up lenses yet. Thinking of upgrading it to the G2, as it is now my main backup camera
    Odille

“Can't keep my eyes from the circling sky”

My Blog | Canon 1DsMkII | 60D | Tokina 20-35mm f/2.8 AF AT-X PRO | EF50mm f/1.8| Sigma 150-500mm F5-6.3 APO DG OS HSM | Fujifilm X-T1 & X-M1 | Fujinon XC 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 OIS | Fujinon XC 50-230mm F3.5-5.6 OIS | Fujinon XF 18-55mm F2.8-4R LM OIS | tripods, flashes, filters etc ||

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'll do a search and see if anyone has done a review of them somewhere.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Reviews

Amazon reviews kept cropping up - Here's some on the telephoto. They're sounding like they're worth getting. There's a big price difference between buying overseas and here. Problem is, amazon shops only ship to US addresses. If you know of any alternatives, Odille, I'd love to hear 'em.

50 of 50 people found the following review helpful:
    Surprisingly good tele converter, September 12, 2006
    By Jerry Saperstein (Evanston, IL USA) - See all my reviews
    Amazon Verified Purchase(What's this?)
    This review is from: Panasonic DMW-LT55 55mm Tele Conversion Lens for Panasonic FZ7, FZ30, FZ18, and FZ50 Digital Cameras (Electronics)
    Conversion lenses have always had a poor reputation. Typically generalizations like fuzzy, corner falloff and so on. The Panasonic DMW-LT55 Tele Conversion Lens appears to be the exception. Mounted on a Lumix FZ50, it produces images that are sharper than expected. Not as sharp as those that would be produced by a Nikkor or Canon, but sharp and detailed enough.

There is no noticeable falloff at the edges or corners. No vignetting either. Contrast is excellent.

On the FZ50, the LT55 can be used handheld with the camera's Optical Image Stabilization system activated. That is, frankly, astonishing.

A neat trick on the FZ50 is being able to reduce the resolution of the image from 10 megapixels down to 3 megapixels (just using the center of the sensor) and effectively increasing the power of the tele converter to that of a 1,137 mm lens. The images aren't bad.

The converter is lighweight and easily attached to the FZ50. Any filter on the lens must be removed first. No adapter is required.

Overall, the FZ50 is a nice knockaround and travel camera. It's light, has an incredible 12x Leica design approved lens, a 10 Megapixel sensor and just about every feature you could want. Adding the LT55 to your kit gives you that extra-long telephoto you've always wanted to carry without doing damage to your back. Neat product.

Jerry
    and the rest here
    http://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-DMW-...owViewpoints=0

and the close up lens

5 of 5 people found the following review helpful:
    great ! totally recommend, December 2, 2009
    By Reinhard Latzke (Melissochori Griechenland) - See all my reviews

Amazon Verified Purchase(What's this?)
    This review is from: Panasonic DMW-LC55 55mm Close Up Lens for Panasonic FZ7, FZ30, FZ18, and FZ50 Digital Cameras (Electronics)
    Finally i got the lens.
    The review of the other reviewer is misleading.
    The magnifictication increase you can get is mind blowing.

Instead of the closest shooting distance of 1.00m of the Panasonic FZ7's standard macro zoom position (432mm) you can now get as close as 33 cm with this lens.
    Have a look at my photo samples and you will understand was is going on.

I did not buy the orignal (expensive) adapter for the FZ7 .... i used a step up ring 52 - 55 mm for 2.00-3.00 $

With another step down ring 58 - 55 mm i use the phantastic lens on my Canons 20D/40D and the Canon EF-S 55-250mm IS lens with great test results.
    As with the Panasonic, also here the minimum shooting distance decreased a big deal (see the sample)

all sample pictures i reduced to the half Pana 2816 > 1408 Canon 3888 > 1944

if you are in macro / close up photography and you don't want to buy an expensive macro lenses get this one.

You will not regret it

see some of my photos (copy the link in your browers address field) at [...]
    http://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-DMW-...owViewpoints=1

Ausphotography Site Sponsor/Advertiser OzzieTraveller's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    G'day Jeff & Odille

I have some limited experience here ...
    As a bit of optical fun, I have tested several of the "cheap & very cheap" offerings in this marketplace
    and as such ...
    I cannot recommend the non-Pany, non-big-name-company offerings

Okay more info
    As to close up lenses - the 2-element Pany or Canon +2 or +3 dioptre lenses for about $140 are good value - much better edge sharpness & lack of colour aberrations than the 'standard' single-element CU lens for about $50 as sold in most shops

As to either the wide-angle OR tele attachments ... expect to pay $200 for a half-decent one, either from Pany or Canon but don't get caught with the wrong size for the camera. Certainly if you buy the Pany one off the Pany website you will be okay, but if you start web-seeking for one that "seems to be right" it may not be so. You will need to ask direct Qs of the seller - coz they won't take it back again if it is not exactly what you want. The Canon one I bought some time ago for the Canon SX-1 I had, cost damn-near $200, fitted the 55mm dia thread but didn't fit the UZ lens - gave huge image cutoff, and the Canon dealer refused point-blank to accept it back for a swap. Soured my thoughts about Canon but that's another matter

Jeff - you also mention "in-camera digital zoom"
    Wonderful feature not available to dSLR users ... and something I use weekly
    To be able to utilise a bit [tho not too much] in-camera digital zoom before mr-jpeg gets to it is really, really nifty. I generally use 1.4-1.8x digital zoom and no more, even tho allegedly, the camera can do more.
    Use it wisely and you will enjoy the results

Hope this helps a bit
    Regards, Phil
    Of all the stuff in a busy photographers kitbag, the ability to see photographically is the most important
    google me at Travelling School of Photography
    images.: flickr.com/photos/ozzie_traveller/sets/

Arch-Σigmoid Ausphotography Regular ameerat42's Avatar
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Diogen. Just a point as I looked at your query. How close are you expecting to be able to get to your subject with even a +3 CU lens? With a 3 dioptre lens attached and your main lens set to "infinity", the closest you will focus is 1/3 metre. If you then focus to the main lens minimum distance, what will that allow you to approach? One more thing: is the lens optically corrected for minimum focus setting? You may see chromatic aberration (and other image defects). So you'd want to check that it is a CA corrected doublet.

But the other question is: doesn't the camera have a pretty good macro setting? What might you be able to achieve with just the telephoto attachment and macro setting?

Just wonderbaring. Am.

Just edited in this PS: Agree with Ozzie about the dearer CU lenses.
    CC, Image editing OK.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    G'day Jeff & Odille
    ...As to either the wide-angle OR tele attachments ... expect to pay $200 for a half-decent one, either from Pany or Canon but don't get caught with the wrong size for the camera. Certainly if you buy the Pany one off the Pany website you will be okay, but if you start web-seeking for one that "seems to be right" it may not be so.
    I'm only looking at the proprietary lenses - $350 for the tele and $120 for the CU - the only ones that fit the fz35 lens adapter. They're $199 & $66 US on Amazon.com, but for some reason the US sellers won't ship to OS addresses?

Jeff - you also mention "in-camera digital zoom"
    Wonderful feature not available to dSLR users ... and something I use weekly
    To be able to utilise a bit [tho not too much] in-camera digital zoom before mr-jpeg gets to it is really, really nifty. I generally use 1.4-1.8x digital zoom and no more, even tho allegedly, the camera can do more....
    I'm not sure what you're talking about here. I get a zoom/magnification 'window inside a window' when using manual focus. Otherwise, it's all optical zoom, and the digital zoom I use just when reviewing a shot I've taken.

ameerat42 - Hi Diogen. Just a point as I looked at your query. How close are you expecting to be able to get to your subject with even a +3 CU lens?
    Close enough to get this sort of shot in good focus, without getting dust residue on the lens

With a 3 dioptre lens attached and your main lens set to "infinity", the closest you will focus is 1/3 metre. If you then focus to the main lens minimum distance, what will that allow you to approach?
    from the above review -Instead of the closest shooting distance of 1.00m of the Panasonic FZ7's standard macro zoom position (432mm) you can now get as close as 33 cm with this lens.
    I'm assuming he means 3.3cms there, but he's using the lens on an earlier/lesser model than mine.. In any case, it should be better than this best effort with the current lens.

One more thing: is the lens optically corrected for minimum focus setting? You may see chromatic aberration (and other image defects). So you'd want to check that it is a CA corrected doublet..
    From what I've read, the lens is effectively corrected to this camera. I don't know much about these intsy wintsy tech bits though.

But the other question is: doesn't the camera have a pretty good macro setting? What might you be able to achieve with just the telephoto attachment and macro setting?
    Just wonderbaring. Am.
    I don't know. I'm really going on the reviews on each individual lens' capability, as I can understand it. I'll find a use for them in any case, I have no doubt.

Thanks to you, ameerat42 and OzzieTravler/Phil for your interest and input.
    Last edited by Diogen3s; 11-08-2010 at 8:26pm.

Arch-Σigmoid Ausphotography Regular ameerat42's Avatar
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OK, thanks for your reply Diogen. Your quotes have answered my queries. Now, be very aware that the distance of 33 cm you quoted above is correct. The author does not mean 3.3 cm! The 3 dioptre lens will get you as close as "only" 33 cm, though even a bit closer at closest camera focus. If you want to do a rough run, grab a magnifier glass or a pair of reading glasses, where you know the focal length. Put them in front of your camera lens and see how close you can get. OK, don't holler about the less-than-optimal image quality, but it's a good guide to what you can expect to get.

I mean I could be (slightly) wrong, but I think you may be expecting rather optimistic results from especially the CU lens.

Hope it helps. Am.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ameerat42, I'm a born optimist. I've decided against the CU lens for the time being. But I like the reviews of the telephoto, so I 'll see what that can do first. I appreciate your discernment though.

cheers, Diogen3s/Jeff