Thread: Lee BIG Stopper

Ausphotography Veteran
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by peterb666 View Post
    The HiTech Pro 10-stopper comes with it's own cheat sheet that fits perfectly in the window on the front of the Lee 10-filter case.
    Handy to know; thanks.

I'll see if it suits my needs, and if not, I'll update my chart.

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ricktas View Post
    I use mine with the Cokin Z-Pro system, as long as you have a 100mm filter system it should fit! It comes with spongey material stuck to the edges to cut light leak in around the sides of the filter and holder.

I got an interesting purple cast from one photo out of a set I took recently. BUT as I and a few others alluded to quite some time ago in a thread, we think the colour cast issue is a white balance one. That the cameras are reading the white balance incorrectly when ND filters are in place. I have seen it corrected by a simple white balance adjustment in RAW conversion. The purple cast is not seen all the time, even with the Cokin filters, if the filter was the cause, it should be. We surmised that under certain light conditions the camera reads a faulty white balance and the purple cast is not caused by the filter as such, but the camera in combination with ND filters and certain light conditions.
    Hi Rick,

I'm considering a 9 or 10 stop filter and though do prefer the convenience of the screw on type, may go for the Lee Big Stopper.

Thus placing the camera in a set WB mode (cloud, sunlight, tungsten etc) may remedy the issue?

Now that time has passed, how do you view the Lee Big Stopper and why did you choose it over the other higher end filters?
    "Nature photography is about choosing a location, crawling through dirt, being bitten by insects and occasionally taking a great image". - Wayne Eddy.

Canon 5D MkIII, Canon 7D, 17-40mm f/4L,
    24-105mm f/4L
    + Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L IS +400mm f/5.6L + Canon 1.4xTC + Canon 100 EF f2.8 USM + 430-EX

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There is one of these available on Camera Market at the moment (not mine... I just saw this thread and remembered that I saw it)
    Australian Nature Photography

Nikon D7000
    Nikkor 12-24, Nikkor 28-70/2.8, Nikkor 50/1.8, Tamron 60/2, Sigma 100-300/4, Sigma 180/3.5 macro, Nikkor 500/4, 1.4x TC, 1.7x TC

(Comments And Critique On My Images Most Welcome)

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by enduro View Post
    Hi Rick,

I'm considering a 9 or 10 stop filter and though do prefer the convenience of the screw on type, may go for the Lee Big Stopper.

Thus placing the camera in a set WB mode (cloud, sunlight, tungsten etc) may remedy the issue?

Now that time has passed, how do you view the Lee Big Stopper and why did you choose it over the other higher end filters?
    Yes re white balance. I tend to set mine for the scene (if its cloudy, I use cloudy), and then tweak it in PP if needed. I rarely see the magenta cast anyway. We did surmise at the time this was discussed that it seemed that Canon camera's were more susceptible, so maybe shooting Nikon is an advantage after all.

I really enjoy shooting with the big stopper. But I also like shooting without it too. It creates drama to a shot, with long swept clouds, and silky smooth water. Sometimes though the waves etc are what I want to get. Why I chose the Lee was that at the time it was available, and Lee have a good reputation, and that it fits in my Cokin Z-Pro holder.
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Maybe someone can help me out, I use the Cokin Z Pro filter holder, but I can't work out whether I need the Hitech 1.5mm or the 3mm gasket big stopper (or did I miss it when I read through the pages here) Hitech's website only tells you which size for Lee or Hitech holders.

Thanks...Jo
    Cheers
    Jo

Canon 7D user on P Plates

CC is encouraged: No need to be gentle
    Don't be offended by my CC

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The answer is ... 1.5mm gasket
    for anyone else that may need to know

Ausphotography Veteran
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My Hitech ten-stop ND filter arrived today.

It's nice and dark!

Looking forward to using it this weekend.

I am older than I look.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Xenedis View Post
    My Hitech ten-stop ND filter arrived today.

It's nice and dark!

Looking forward to using it this weekend.
    Congratulations. It is fun and a bit of a challenge.
    Cheers

PeterB666

Olympus Pen F with Metabones Speed Booster and Laowa 12mm f/2.8 or Voigtlander 10.5mm f/0.95 or Nikon D800 with the Laowa 12mm f/2.8. The need to keep in touch with the past is a Nikon Photomic FTn or Nikon F2A and a Nikkor 25-50mm f/4 AI

Ausphotography Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The HiTech Pro 10-stopper comes with it's own cheat sheet that fits perfectly in the window on the front of the Lee 10-filter case.
    does it fit the Lee filter holder too?

Answered my own question - see the good review.

Silkdiver, this answers your question too re Cokin.
    Last edited by Analog6; 02-02-2012 at 9:47am.
    Odille

“Can't keep my eyes from the circling sky”

My Blog | Canon 1DsMkII | 60D | Tokina 20-35mm f/2.8 AF AT-X PRO | EF50mm f/1.8| Sigma 150-500mm F5-6.3 APO DG OS HSM | Fujifilm X-T1 & X-M1 | Fujinon XC 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 OIS | Fujinon XC 50-230mm F3.5-5.6 OIS | Fujinon XF 18-55mm F2.8-4R LM OIS | tripods, flashes, filters etc ||

Ausphotography Veteran
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Congratulations. It is fun and a bit of a challenge.
    Until now I've been stacking two three-stop ND filters, so I'm not too worried. :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Analog6 View Post
    does it fit the Lee filter holder too?
    It sure does.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123