Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  0

Thread: Purchase a second camera

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Purchase a second camera

I currently have a Nikon D5000.

I have the opportunity to purchase a Nikon D90 (body only) as a second camera.

From what I understand, the D90 and D5000 are fairly similar.

If I do purchase a second camera, should I purchase something similar to what I have or look for something different?

Being somewhat of a hobbyist photographer at the moment, do I really need a second camera?

Perhaps an odd question, but not sure what to do.

Thanks!
    Nikon D5000 + Nikkor 18-55mm lens + Nikkor 55-200mm lens + Nikkor 60mm f/2.8 lens + UV Filter + Sherpa Tripod + 1 small bag

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    IMHO you would be better served to delay purchase of the 2nd camera and put your hard earned $ into a good quality lens which best fits your preferred genre of photography.
    (eg:- if your into macro consider a Tamron 90mm macro lens)

A good lens will serve you well for a long time.
    Cheers
    Darey

Nikon user, Thick skinned and wanting to improve, genuine C & C welcomed.

Photographs don't lie ! - Anonymous Liar

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    on the 2nd body, i dont think you would need it as it seems your d5000 is capable enough already. unless u are intending to get the d90 and sell off the d5000 is a feasible move imo.

money left out from the d5000 sale could be used for funding probably.. an ultra wide angle? 10-20mm? 12-24mm? to suit if you want to 'venture' into landscape photography.

orrrrrrrrrrrr.

just forget about the d90 and get some new lenses

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Why do you think you need a second camera ?

The d90 is a much superior body than the d5000 also if you look atthr specs
    Darren
    Gear : Nikon Goodness
    Please support Precious Hearts
    Constructive Critique of my images always appreciated

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The D90 is a logical choice because it opens up opportunities for you to extend your range of useable lenses that are not AF-S, and you will be able to purchase old AF Nikon lenses to use.
    The D5000 has no internal AF motor on board the camera, while the D90 has.
    You can now get older (and cheaper) lenses such as the D series to AF on the D90.
    A new model to replace the D90 is on the horizon, so great discounting is expected for it.
    Cheers!
    "The greatest camera in the world is the one you hold in your hands when shit happens." ©2007 Raoul Isidro

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As Kiwi said, Why do you need a second camera?

Having said that I have two cameras and am very thankful for that. I have a "Walk around" lens on one and a specific lens on the other and last weekend used both at the same location. I based my choice on advice I received from this forum and bought the same model body as I already had. The reasoning that decided it for me was a situation the advisor had recently found themselves in, in that they had grabbed one camera thinking it was one when it was in fact the other and missed a great opportunity because of disimilarities between the two bodies.
    Peter.

Some of my photo's are at www.peterking.id.au

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks everyone for your responses.

Why do I need a second camera? Well, I don't need it really. It's just that there was a camera coming up for sale at a reasonable price, so I thought I might consider purchasing it - hence my post on this forum for advice.

Besides, don't you think it would be handy having a second camera?

I would assume that as a professional photographer (which I am not) you would need more than one camera body - correct?

Anyhow, thanks again for your thoughts!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by airgirl View Post
    Why do I need a second camera? Well, I don't need it really.
    if you're asking questions like this, whether it be camera, lens, speedlight chances are you don't need it. You'll know when you need a second camera.

It's just that there was a camera coming up for sale at a reasonable price, so I thought I might consider purchasing it - hence my post on this forum for advice.
    As pointed out above, if you've reached the bounds of your d5000, then a d90 is a good step up. Might be a good opportunity to upgrade with a good price like this??

Besides, don't you think it would be handy having a second camera?

I would assume that as a professional photographer (which I am not) you would need more than one camera body - correct?
    I have 3 cameras (1 x D80, 2 x D300) these days, and I can tell you that unless you're doing a proper photo shoot where you need very quick access to (for example) wide and long lenses, two or more cameras can be a hassle. When I travel or just hang with friends doing day to day stuff, I usually take my point and shoot or maybe one of my dSLRs.

As for professionals having more then one camera, the bottom line is fairly simple - it's more often then not as a backup. Whilst I use 2 cameras "at a time" when shooting weddings/events to have that quick access to wide/long, my main reason for having multiples is because I wouldn't want to be telling the client, "sorry, my camera died and i can't take any more pics of your wedding cos I've only got one camera". That said, in addition to multiple camera bodies, most pros will carry multiple speedlights, multiple lenses, multiple batteries etc etc...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As a "professional photographer" (Im getting so sick of hearing that around here ...) you definitely need a second, and maybe even a third or fourth body too, sometimes for using more than one camera at a time, but probably more so for reliable backups. But as you say, youre not, so you dont ...

However .....

I would buy the D90 and sell the D5000 .... Isnt the D5000 one of those ones without the focusing motor ?? So you are limited in what lenses you use ... As someone said above, the D90 will open up a whole new world of useable lenses for you, and as kiwi said .. its simply a better camera spec wise.
    Last edited by bigdazzler; 03-08-2010 at 8:43am.
    Hi Im Darren

www.darrengrayphotography.com

SONY A850 (FF)] + GRIP | SONY A350 (APS-C) + GRIP | SONY NEX-5 +16 2.8 + 18-55 E-MOUNT LENSES | CZ 85 1.4 | 50 1.4 | 28-75 2.8 | 70-200 2.8 | 2 x 42AMs | 24" imac | LR | CS4 | + loads of other junk

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i disagree that, as an amatuer, that you won't benefit from a second camera. however I would think that another dslr would be a waste of time in your situation. if you do feel the need for another purchase, then try something different, like a compact for some nice macro type shots, or just as a smaller alternative to what you have, or a holga for some random creativeness. just something different to open up some new doors or ideas.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thats a good point as well .... Im loving my NEX-5 ... great fun to have a little camera that produces such outstanding photos.

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dazza, I thought of your NEX as I was typing. I want one of those.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ill be taking it to Europe with me in November mate. So compact, kit lenses are very good, high ISO is great (perfectly usable to 3200) and HD video looks fantastic. I wont even be taking the big camera, or my HDD camcorder.

Sorry to hijack your thread airgirl ... I still say buy the D90 and get rid of the other camera if I were you though, particularly if its a good price ...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thought I might weigh into this as I am considering purchasing a second body as well. My main reason is that I can have one set up with the zoom and the other with the wide angle, saving on swapping lenses over in harsh environments. Also wanting better coverage, eg storm chasing, having one camera facing one way and the other to capture a different part of the storm. Well thats my justification for it anyhow
    C&C most welcome, please if reworks are made post what adjustments etc have been made so I can learn from them

Thanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thought I'ld add my perspective on this-
    I was thinking of getting another camera at some stage for my wife so I don't have to share! We both like going to places like the zoo and 'shooting' animals.
    I would give here the nimblest camera with a nice super zoom and mine set up to the settings I like and change between lenses as required. I am also thinking of getting a film body but that is a whole OTHER discussion