User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  6

Thread: New Camera Advice - Sony NEX5?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

New Camera Advice - Sony NEX5?

Hi, I have just found this site whilst trying to research my next camera.

I currently have a Sony Cybershot point and shoot, which I am very happy with, but would like to move on a bit with my photography.

Whilst I would like to move on with my photography, I do not want the bulk of a SLR. I also would like something capable of taking video as I often record little snippets of my children.

I have been looking into the Sony NEX5 and it seems to have everything I require - video, compact size, some control over shots, good picture quality.

What do you think of this as a next-step-up-camera?

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    member bigdazzler has one of the NEX range. Not sure which one, but he has posted some shots taken with it and it looks quite an impressive bit of kit, in it class.
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    had a quick look to see what the sony nex5 was. You could also have a look at Olympus and panasonic they both make a camera very similar to this. Not sure what sony offer in the lens department but these other two have an established line up of lenses. Which may become important if you dedcide to expand. Something to consider - sony does not have in body stabilisation it it in the lens, this makes the lenses more expensive. Olympus has the IS in the body, not sure about the panasonic. Also have a look at what accessories are available eg. external mics, underwater housings, flashes etc. Good luck do lots of research.
    Website - McGoo Photography
    Sean | Olympus E5 | Olympus e620 | Zuiko 7-14 | Zuiko 35-100 SHG | Zuiko 14-54 | Zuiko 70-300 | OM 50mm | Panagor macro converter | CPL filter | FL-50R flash |

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    thanks! i'm trying to search for member now...

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks. I was looking at the Panasonic Lumix G5 but discounted it for some reason - can't remember why now! I think it may have been because from the reviews, the picture quality isn't as good as the Sony. Also, it is more expensive and I couldn't see the extra value in it. Maybe it's the lenses? I did look at the Olympus. It comes with the 200mm lens as part of kit, which the Sony doesn't. So that's a plus for it.

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    looked at a couple of sites, but can't get a clear indication of the sensor size. Is it a sensor similar in size to a nikon d300 or a canon 50D (1.5/1.6 crop factor)? i haven't paid much attention to this camera, but what turned me off of the panny and the olly was the 2x crop factor, but i could live with 1.5.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    the nex does look very impressive indeed! plus the advantage of attaching other manual focus lenses (with the suitable adapter) is a definite plus for me!

on the oly/pana set, like TOM mentioned, the 2x factor turned me away because if i were to attach any current lenses i have everything would be too tight cropped :/

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Moderately Underexposed
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Andrew
    Nikon, Fuji, Nikkor, Sigma, Tamron, Tokina and too many other bits and pieces to list.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    sensor size is not the be all and end all. As an Olympus user when I take photos I don't even think about what my sensor size is, I plan, compose and shoot just the same as everyone else, then i usually do it all again (because the owner failed not the gear). All I am saying is (to the OP) do your home work with a micro system, weigh up all pros and cons, all systems have both.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks heaps guys. I'm pretty sure I've made up my mind on the Nex5. I'm heading off to NZ in a few weeks, so will post pics when I get back. Hopefully I'll have it all figured out before I go so I get some good shots.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I picked up my new Nex5 tonight. I've had a little play and am impressed. Definitely a great camera for beginners or for when you don't want to lug around your SLR. Will post some pics when I'm allowed...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    it has no hotshoe on it, big big disadvantage for me when I looked at it

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just saw your thread ... Im happy with the camera. It will be my travel camera from now on. I find it quite nice in my hand, plenty of resolution at 14MP (for cropping, large prints etc.), kit lenses are above average with decent colour and contrast, and they are sharp enough (I have the pancake and the zoom). HD video looks fantastic. Perfect travel camera for me ..... except .....

I agree with JMT ... The absence of the hotshoe is a PITA, as i shoot lots of portraits and would like to be able to use triggers on it for off camera flash.

Other than that .. Im pleased with it and cant wait to take it to Europe with me in a few weeks.

TOM: The sensor is the same x1.5 APS-C sensor that is in the smaller entry level DSLRs in the Sony range.
    Hi Im Darren

www.darrengrayphotography.com

SONY A850 (FF)] + GRIP | SONY A350 (APS-C) + GRIP | SONY NEX-5 +16 2.8 + 18-55 E-MOUNT LENSES | CZ 85 1.4 | 50 1.4 | 28-75 2.8 | 70-200 2.8 | 2 x 42AMs | 24" imac | LR | CS4 | + loads of other junk

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ummm what is a hot shoe?? A hot shoe to me is a Louboutin but I don't think that's what you're referring to

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    the hotshoe is the area on top of the camera that the external flash/remote transmitter slides onto.

Sonys proprietory hotshoe on their DSLR cameras is unique and different (bred from the old Minolta hotshoe) to the standard ISO hotshoe used on other brands of cameras, and the NEX cameras dont have one at all. They have that silly little screw in accessory mount thing that you can attach the designated flash, viewfinder, or external mic to. If it were a standard Sony shoe you could use your Sony external flashguns or remote transmitters for off camera flash ... but as it is, you cant. PITA.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by bigdazzler; 07-08-2010 at 1:56pm.