User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  16
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: NSW Speed Camera

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I thought that they were all white too. Thanks for the colour profile.. (Won't normally matter I usually keep within the limits)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Derek-C View Post
    Our tax $ at work

Black spot I dont think so.

Taken with my mobile phone on Sunday.

Attachment 56102

Derek
    Derek, in all fairness there's been 3 fatalities within 500m of where that speed camera sets up.
    Check all the crosses on the side of the road north bound just before the 70kph zone.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    My thoughts!

If governments were not getting their $M's from speed camera fines, they would be getting them from somewhere else, cause it is all about getting money from every available source to add more to the budget (usually so they can waste $M on studies etc), but I would rather they book those breaking the law for speeding, than increase my taxes I have to pay on income etc.
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

Ausphotography Veteran
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ricktas View Post
    If governments were not getting their $M's from speed camera fines, they would be getting them from somewhere else, cause it is all about getting money from every available source to add more to the budget (usually so they can waste $M on studies etc), but I would rather they book those breaking the law for speeding, than increase my taxes I have to pay on income etc.
    If speed cameras really are about revenue raising, then that's fine.

If that's the case, the government should admit it and stop lying to the public with its claims that speed cameras are about road safety.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just an observation, but does this thread perhaps suggest again that a photo need not be technically perfect (no offence Derek-c) to generate significant emotions, discussion and interest?
    Always willing to sacrifice my artistic integrity for cash

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Xenedis View Post
    If speed cameras really are about revenue raising, then that's fine.

Very good, quite funny

Scotty
    Canon 7D : Canon EF 70-200mm f:2.8 L IS II USM - Canon EF 24-105 f:4 L IS USM - Canon EF 50mm f:1.8 - Canon EF-s 18-55mm f:3.5-5.6
    Sigma APO 150-500mm f:5-6.3 DG OS HSM
    - Sigma 10-20mm f:3.5 EX DC HSM
    Speedlite 580 EX II - Nissin Di866 II - Yongnuo 460-II x2 - Kenko extension tube set - Canon Extender EF 1.4x II
    Manfroto monopod - SILK 700DX Pro tripod - Remote release - Cokin Z-Pro filter box + Various filters

Current Social Experiment: CAPRIL - Wearing a cape for the month of April to support Beyond Blue
    Visit me on Flickr

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    On And On it goes. I drove Taxis for two years in the Latrobe valley and what a eye opener that was, I was on the road 12 hours a day and to see the amount of drivers that had no idea on the road laws made me sick! say no more
    Canon 7d efs 15-85mm, Sigma 150-500mm. Nicon coolpix 5400

Ausphotography Veteran
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Scotty72 View Post
    Very good, quite funny
    Pun wasn't intended.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Xenedis, I'm gonna try to get to your club tomorrow - have a squizzzzz

Ausphotography Veteran
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Scott:

That's great -- hope you enjoy the night.

Tomorrow night is our print comp, so you'll get to see a very high standard of colour and mono prints, as well as hear how an experienced judge critiques the images.

If you can get there by about 7, join Fantasy, Leanne and myself for dinner.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have no qualms paying when I am caught speeding as long as i am pulled over. Fixed and mobile cameras don't change driving habits, just raise revenue. I have two policies here:
    1: drive as little as possible (easy for me to bus & train to/from work)
    2: know where to and where not to speed.
    Last time I was seriously speeding (130 in an 80 zone in rural vic) the car coming toward me (other side of the road) as the local police-person. They flashed their lights, indicated to me to slow down, which I did immediately, and then they let me be. That has had a greater impact on my driving than any fine ever will.
    End game - cameras raise revenue; police presence changes behaviour.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Xenedis View Post
    Scott:

That's great -- hope you enjoy the night.

Tomorrow night is our print comp, so you'll get to see a very high standard of colour and mono prints, as well as hear how an experienced judge critiques the images.

If you can get there by about 7, join Fantasy, Leanne and myself for dinner.

Where is the club do you eat?

Can u PM your number to me?

Scotty

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GerryK View Post
    Last time I was seriously speeding (130 in an 80 zone in rural vic) the car coming toward me (other side of the road) as the local police-person. They flashed their lights, indicated to me to slow down, which I did immediately, and then they let me be. That has had a greater impact on my driving than any fine ever will.
    End game - cameras raise revenue; police presence changes behaviour.
    Politicians have enough brains to understand this and most likely accept this fact as well, but greed overcomes common sense and we get hit with the usual sewage from their mouth.
    "The cameras are there to save lives not make the government money"
    When I go to bed tonight I will kneel beside my bed and in my prays I will read out their names in appreciation for their great efforts they have done to keep me alive.
    I just can't imagine the carnage on our roads if those cameras weren't clicking away
    God bless our politicians and the RTA
    The fastest way to a man's heart is through his chest with a sharp knife
    Canon 50D,
    Tamron 70-200 f/2.8, A very bright light, EF 50 f1.8, Tamron 17-50 f2.8

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ving View Post
    if you speed you pay... simple.
    i have allways been a believer of that statement, if i want to speed i will pay the fines and not whine when i get them...

simple...

what erks me though is the differences in the "gray area" that speeding fines are dished out...

being booked for 103 in a 100 zone in Vic but not at 109 in a 100 zone in SA? just makes no sense...

worse still we have been paying registration and fuel (taxes, levies, fees) for years, and we then have to have Toll roads because the gov cant afford to build infrastructure... and then they say that the fines they collect will go back into the roads...

obvioulsy those people aint driven outside of canberra...

M
    www.pbase.com/mcphotographics loooots of pictures!
    hmmm Eq list... 1D II, 5D II, 7D, 100-400 LIS F4.5-5.6, 70-200 F2.8L, 135 F2, 85 F1.8, 24-70 F2.8L, 16-35 F2.8L, 420EX, 580EX II x2 ST-E2 Cir polar filters and much much more all in a neat back pack that kills my back!

Adobe CS5
    Week 16 Sheep Winner
    If you have a question about car / action / sports photography or Canon Cameras PM me...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Clubmanmc View Post
    obvioulsy those people aint driven outside of canberra...
    how does canberra fit in sorry? camera revenue goes to state government coffers, not federal.

Canberra also has its fair share of revenue raising with plenty of cameras being located at the bottom of hills on 4 lane, freeway quality roads signposted at 60/70/80kph. Having learnt to drive in country Qld, it's hard top stomach a single lane bi-directional road can can have a limit of 100kph whilst 4 lane roads here are 60kph...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The whole speed camera thing drives me nuts.

The error on the radar devices used has been proven to be of the order of +-3km/hr at best, the error on most speedometers is around the same, and add to this, that most speedometers come with scales to the nearest 5 (if you are lucky) which means that there is great difficulty in getting precisely to the speed that they advise you to drive (and btw, if you drive to slow in a driver test you can be failed, or indeed on the road you can also be fined...).

And then of course, speed camera proponents neglect the fact that numerous accidents are caused because people are spending so much time watching their speedometers that they arent concerntrating on the road. This is why in Germany, in Europe that limitless roads work, people drive at a comfortable pace, arent watching their speedos so much that they can drive at whatever speed they feel they can control the vehicle at.

Its also stupid that we have variances in tolerances between the states...but then again, we have 6 different education systems, 7 different sets of licensing requirements, 8 useless state and territory governments, and infinitely too many public servants getting paid for doing squat. So I suppose we can understand why there is a problem. The amusing thing is that we wouldnt need so many speed cameras if we didnt have so many public servants.
    John
    Nikon D800, D700, Nikkor 14-24 F2.8, 24-70mm F2.8, 50mm F1.8D, 70-200mm F2.8 VRII, Manfrotto 190XB with Q5 PM Head,
    SB-900,600, portable strobist setup & Editing on an Alienware M14x with LR4 and CS5 and a Samsung XL2370 Monitor.

Stormchasing isn't a hobby...its an obsession.
    For my gallery and photography: www.emanatephotography.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Xebadir View Post
    (and btw, if you drive to slow in a driver test you can be failed, or indeed on the road you can also be fined...).

A
    I would like to see a reference to even one eg of that (getting a 'non-speeding' ticket) ever happening. Just one. Unless you are making a deliberate blockade etc, it just wouldn't happen.

Also, if you can't glance at your speedo every 10 secs or so without it being a dangerous distraction - mate - hand in your licence.

I just love the imagery some people like to portray - of drivers staring, eyes glued open, with their focus totally gripped to a single point of the road - their gaze never blinking - else that momentary glance in the mirror etc prove horrifically fatal.

How funny is that excuse? I imagine that these people, when photographing, walk around with their eye attached to the view finder - never looking outside that box in case something, somewhere is missed.

As for the 'I pays me rego... and me fuel taxes... blah."

These old chestnuts amuse me - they don't come even close to paying for roads, associated infrastructure etc. not even close.

So, to use this argument is really saying to the governments, please increase all these charges to a level they will pay for it all - so, I can justify my silly excuse.

So, let's all rejoice when we are forced to pay the true cost of motoring.

Geez, us Aussies have found another sport we can beat those Poms at - whinging until the brain bleeds.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here you go Scotty someone driving too slowly got booked:- http://www.theleader.com.au/news/loc...ng/456549.aspx

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not so long ago I followed a slow driver in the right lane for approximately 25ks, Between Moe and Traralgon, he was doing 80k all the way and this was in a 110k zone to a 100k zone. I also followed another driver talking on his mobile phone, He was also doing 80k but in the slow lane, he was all over the road as if he was DUI. I wonder if the police could keep up with the amount of complaints if i was to report the violations that I see. As for speed cameras Its nothing but revenue raising. A friend of mine was recently fined for doing 3k over the limit. OK a new set of tyres on the car so what do we have to do get our Speedos recalibrated every time?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hus View Post
    Here you go Scotty someone driving too slowly got booked:- http://www.theleader.com.au/news/loc...ng/456549.aspx

Ah! I remember this beat up...

Does it state anywhere in this article WHAT Ossington's actual infringement was?

No! I wonder why... hmm. Could this be because, as every journo hell bent on a beat-up appreciates, you should never let the actual facts of the matter get in the way of a good story?

It actually emerges that our hero was charged with (and the story even gives the slightest hint of the truth) failure to keep left. Quite a different matter to 'Non-speeding'.

Note the line.

A police spokesman said motorists on all multi-lane roads with a speed limit of 80kmh or over were required to keep left unless overtaking, with or without signage to this effect.
    I see that this little fact, highly inconvenient to the story, was buried deeply within the story so that the readership would be too WOWED OUT to actually notice that - even if they got that far.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast