Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Help - Indoor Sports Lens

Hi everyone.

Hope you can help me. A friend has asked me to help her with photographing a basketball tournament in the next couple of months. To prepare myself for this job, I was wondering if you can advise me on the best lens to use for this. Budget is a little tight or is there a place in Sydney that I could possibly hire the lens I need. I currently use a D300 Nikon.

Thankyou for your help.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ideally I would use 2 bodies, with a 24-70 2.8 and a 70-200 2.8

Hire here
    Last edited by bigdazzler; 28-07-2010 at 1:01am.
    Hi Im Darren

www.darrengrayphotography.com

SONY A850 (FF)] + GRIP | SONY A350 (APS-C) + GRIP | SONY NEX-5 +16 2.8 + 18-55 E-MOUNT LENSES | CZ 85 1.4 | 50 1.4 | 28-75 2.8 | 70-200 2.8 | 2 x 42AMs | 24" imac | LR | CS4 | + loads of other junk

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would be inclined to use 50/f1.8, will cover most of the court on DX. Depending upon where you shoot from. If the light is ordinary in the stadium, then even f2.8 on the 24-70 & 70-200 is a challenge, you will need to crank the ISO right up. This is where the 200/F2 VR shines, but too long on DX for basketball.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ive shot 2.8, 800/1600 in my local basketball stadium without breaking a sweat, but in saying that it is very well lit with massive (albeit incredibly ugly) flouros overhead.

Of course, it all depends on the light source.

If you are constrained to one spot, and dont have free run of the sidelines etc. 50, even on a crop body, wont be long enough for the far end of the court, particular if you want close up basket shots. Youll get a nice wide perspective easily, but the pictures will just end up looking like snap shots from the sideline. You need 200 IMO.

I would suggest, if possible, the OP should go down to the stadium, take a look around, and fire some test exposures.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bigdazzler View Post
    I would suggest, if possible, the OP should go down to the stadium, take a look around, and fire some test exposures.

That is certainly the best thing to do. The local bush stadium here, is woeful for lighting and that is being kind. Using my 70-200 /f2.8 VR on either the D3 or D700 means cranking ISO to 3200/6400 to get + 1/250 SS. I wanted to try strobe it, but they wouldn't let me.

I find the best shooting spot is from the floor slightly to one end of the court, getting good basket shots at one end and mediocre at the other end, because you can't get both baskets well from one spot. I don't like using 2 bodies, because our stadium has almost no spar floor space around the court, and someone running over or dropping the ball on my gear is not something I want to risk

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    [
    I would suggest, if possible, the OP should go down to the stadium, take a look around, and fire some test exposures.[/QUOTE]

Bigdazzler, Excellent advise and I will be going to the stadium next week to do some test shots and also thanks for the Hire Link.

Thanks so much everyone for your advise and suggestions. Very much appreciated.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    50 1.4 AF-S Id pick
    Darren
    Gear : Nikon Goodness
    Please support Precious Hearts
    Constructive Critique of my images always appreciated

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Also keep in mind that you will want at least 1/500 shutter speed while they are playing. And that's the minimum. Anything higher than that is a bonus.
    Good luck.
    Cheers Peter
    Canon 7D...Canon 40D...Canon 24-70L 2.8...Canon 70-200L 2.8...Canon 17-85...Canon 50mm...Speedlights....Tripods...Filters... Battery grips.... And heaps of other stuff

There are always two people in every picture.. the photographer and the viewer.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome mate

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Also keep in mind that you will want at least 1/500 shutter speed
    that's going to freeze the action, however if you want something a little different, a slower speed with a pan might be worth a try. all that said, not a fan of slow speed lenses for sport, so for me, that means a prime, and f1.4. you may find yourself shooting at 2.8, but you have the flexibility with the faster glass.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've tried the ole panning trick for people, it just doesn't work as all the bits don't travel at the same speed in the same plane

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yeah, you're not going to get a nice crisp subject like a V8 touring car, but i like the effect.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ive tried it at a rugby league match too ... managed to get heads nice and sharp but arms and legs were usually blurred. Not very nice results overall.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TOM View Post
    yeah, you're not going to get a nice crisp subject like a V8 touring car, but i like the effect.
    Got any examples, I'm always up for something that works

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    sorry mate, don't keep my sports photos (haven't done it for a while), i'll try to dig up something similar from a wedding or similar.