Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  1

Thread: Nikon D200 Settings Help:::

Account Closed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nikon D200 Settings Help:::

Hi evryone im a newbie i have a NIKON D200 with a 18-200mm VR lens, i was wondering if anyone knows any settings like Sport, Point and Shoot, Wedding and more if there is any. Like said im new to DSLR and learnig everyday... Cheers BURLIN.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I found reading the manual for my camera very informative. I was also able to download a manual in PDF format for my camera as well after doing a google search. I have had my camera for 3 months now and I am still reading the manual as I learn more about its features.

Have a look on youtube and the Nikon web sites. They have video tutorials and reviews on how to use your camera.

Also have a look at the excellent learning program right here at this very site:

http://www.ausphotography.net.au/for...play.php?f=104

Account Closed
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cheers Brownie ill give them a try

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    There is no 'perfect' setting to use with a DSLR. Welcome to the world of the camera that doesn't work like a point and shoot.

You have a big learning curve ahead of you. Read the New To Photography learning centre guides here on Ausphotography. As Brownie says, read your manual. Post photos and learn.

And finally. Get out and practice. Take shots, adjust the settings, learn what each feature does. The more you use the camera, the more you will understand about how it operates.

If you really want to just take some shots, set it to full auto and fire away, but you will not be using the D200 at anywhere near its full potential if you do.

Most of all : HAVE FUN while you learn
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

A royal pain in the bum! arthurking83's Avatar
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BURLIN View Post
    ..... i was wondering if anyone knows any settings like Sport, Point and Shoot, Wedding and more if there is any. Like said im new to DSLR and learnig everyday... Cheers BURLIN.
    NOPE!

nothing like that, in any way..and once you take an hour or two to learn some of the settings you should be using, you'll soon realise that these 'program' settings are superfluous!

For sports, use [S]hutter Priority mode as a rule.
    Using the rear thumbwheel, set shutter to approximately 1/XXXs, where XXX = a decent shutter speed for the occasion. Each event is likely to require different shutter speeds, where the higher the XXX number(eg 1/400s, 1/800s..etc) the more you stop the action. Slower XXX numbers, such as 1/60s, 1/200s ...etc) will cause more subject blur if the subject is moving really fast, such as people doing karate..etc).

For all other circumstances [A]perture Priority is the best setting to get used too, where you then adjust the front 'forefinger' wheel(called the sub command dial) and this controls the aperture in the lens to vary the depth of field you want in the image. The camera then adjusts itself for the amount of light available.

A super duper excellent start to all of the very basic concepts of using a DSLR is to read the NTP section for an hour or two.. and have the camera at hand and playing with the different controls.
    Nikon D800E, D300, D70s
    {Nikon}; -> 50/1.2 : 500/8 : 105/2.8VR Micro : 180/2.8 ais : 105mm f/1.8 ais : 24mm/2 ais
    {Sigma}; ->10-20/4-5.6 : 50/1.4 : 12-24/4.5-5.6II : 150-600mm|S
    {Tamron}; -> 17-50/2.8 : 28-75/2.8 : 70-200/2.8 : 300/2.8 SP MF : 24-70/2.8VC

{Yongnuo}; -> YN35/2N : YN50/1.8N

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can provide you with a spreadsheet (on my other computer) which shows you custom functions saved in each bank on the camera or both the Shooting Menu and Custom Settings Menu. It gives a good start on customising the 4 banks for portrait, landscaping, sport and general. When I get to work tomorrow I can pm it to you, or post it if others are interested.
    Vince

Space; The Final Frontier

C & C encouraged on all images

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    BURLIN, time to do some reading on the basics. There are lots of great resources, and I would start with your local library. You can get a lot of good info on the net, but you do need some basic knowledge to be able to sort the good info from the bad. Essentially, you can use your camera exactly like a point & shoot, in full manual mode, or anywhere in between. The D200 is a great camera, enjoy the ride.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I may be totally ignorant but I can't see a way to post or pm an excel file. PM me an email address and I will forward it to you.

I got the spreadsheet originally from Nikonians. If you have access to the forum try it there.

Cheers

Account Closed
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks everyone i appreciate the feedback...

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Regards
    John
    Nikon D750, Sigma 105mm OS Macro, Tokina 16-28 F2.8, Sigma 24-105 Art, Sigma 150-600C,
    Benro Tripod and Monopod with Arca plates

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi,

Thanks for the links to the setup guides they are a great idea.

I notice that in the Portrait and Wedding photography setup the chosen Image Quality is JPG Fine. I am curious about this selection as I have always been advised to use RAW and ensure that you have plenty of Cards especially when shooting a Wedding.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cheers for the headsup on the Setup Guide j.davis. Extremely handy. BTW... are there any tips, products that folks could recommend for cleaning the D200 internal reflector? It can be a nuisance let alone costly if it is done wrongly.
    Last edited by snapperoo; 30-07-2010 at 1:29pm.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Probably been said before, a good book to to get when you are new to DSLR is "Understanding Exposure" by Bryan Peterson. Also by using the great resources here you can get your head around the basics. Use your D200 in "P" (program) mode until you get you head around the basics - then have a go in "A" and "S" modes.

Steve01 - You can use JPEG fine + RAW or RAW only - as long as you are comfortable editing the raw images yourself.
    Dave

NIKON D200, 24-85G, 80-200 2.8D, 50mm 1.8G, Kenko PRO 300DG 1.4X TC

Account Closed
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by J.davis View Post
    Thanks for the Highlights J.davis that is excellent Cheers.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    to the O.P. ken rockwell does a great guide on how to get more colour out of your D200 as well. I've set my settings to this and haven't looked back, absolutely fantastic and I don't know why they didn't ship them like this. Scroll down to "OPTIMIZE IMAGE" http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/d20...uide/index.htm and follow the prompts. Enjoy! The D200 is an awesome camera!
    Nikon Devotee: D200, F, F75 (N75), Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8 + 55-200mm VR + 50mm 1.8D + 35mm 2.8 Ai-S
    Other bits and pieces: Crumpler 7 Million Dollar Home, Velbon CX480 tripod, Lowepro bag, Hoya filters.
    Slow shutter speed and low light lover, landscapes and distant subjects also favoured.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you can track down a book called "Nikon D200 Digital Field Guide" by David D. Busch, it's well worth it. It has a lot of good reading and tips and goes into lots more detail than the D200 manual.

It was published by Wiley Publishing Inc in the US in 2006 but I know this copy was purchased in Australia for about $30. (It has a blue and white cover with a front-on pic of the D200.)

www.wiley.com/compbooks

EDIT: Just found the direct link...
    http://au.wiley.com/WileyCDA/WileyTi...470037482.html
    Last edited by Paul G; 13-08-2010 at 3:55pm.
    Attitude is everything!

Cheers, Paul

Nikon

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here you go. Available at QBD in Australia for $28.

http://www.qbd.com.au/product/978047...id_D_Busch.htm