User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  0

Thread: Entry Level dSLR - Movie Mode important - D5000?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Entry Level dSLR - Movie Mode important - D5000?

Hi all,

I'm looking to get an entry level DSLR.. but the difference is, I MUST have a movie mode that
    a) Looks and works well
    b) Handles low light well (in movie mode)

I'm one that uses as much video as I would for taking shots.
    I'm not a great photographer, been using a Pentax K100D and I haven't been able to produce anything good, but would like to keep trying, maybe with a Nikon or Canon.

Can anyone make any recommendations on a good movie SLR?

The only 2 i can think of are, Canon 500D, Nikon D5000 .. maybe the Panasonic GH1 if that counts as an SLR?

Thanks..

* Comment removed - Breaches site rules - Admin *
    Last edited by ricktas; 25-07-2010 at 8:40am.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    If you want one that handles low light well, and cost is not a factor, look at some of the full-frame sensor cameras rather than a crop sensor camera.

But you want an entry level one so the Canon 500D/Nikon D5000 is a reasonable choice. I am not sure I get why you want one that 'looks' good? Surely as long as it a DSLR it has the same basic shape?

Considering you say you take as much video as you do shots, maybe you should be looking the other way, a video camera that takes still shots?

You have also been a member for over 2 years, and have 7 posts. Everyone of them being spread out to get your access back to the site when you go inactive and not once have you helped another member, all of your posts are wanting us to help you. May I suggest you join in more frequently or your account access might be further restricted.
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

Ausphotography Veteran
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would also suggest the Canon 550d, it is a bit dearer than the 500 but I have heard that the 500 does not auto focus in movie mode and I have the 550 so I know it does. I have not used the 500 so don't know definitely but probably worth checking out if you want to be able to auto focus.

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks guys.

Rickas - Sorry for not contributing more before posting.. but seeing as I've not taken a decent photo in 2 years of SLR ownership, I'm not sure how much I can contribute.
    Any help I'd offer others would probably be more detrimental than anything else, but hey i'll try

re: the 550d, yes it is more pricy I guess. When we are talking autofocus during movies, would that not cause alot of noise with the motor constantly trying to move.

The thing I just noticed about the D5000 is the movies are about half the size of 500d movies, given that it does not to 1080p, but 720p is more than enough

thanks

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by li21 View Post
    Thanks guys.

Rickas - Sorry for not contributing more before posting.. but seeing as I've not taken a decent photo in 2 years of SLR ownership, I'm not sure how much I can contribute.
    Any help I'd offer others would probably be more detrimental than anything else, but hey i'll try
    That's the whole point of the site, to teach you to improve, if you posted some photos for critique you would learn to take decent photos! The only thing stopping you improving is you!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wait a while and buy the 550D. The Video mode is great (the 640 Crop at 7 times magnification can easily produce some very pleasing results). There are some very helpful videos on You Tube that may be useful.
    Canon 550D EF-S 18-55mm and 55-250 IS

It's all about the Light!
    Tech Admin
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm not a great photographer, been using a Pentax K100D and I haven't been able to produce anything good, but would like to keep trying, maybe with a Nikon or Canon.
    Ignoring the brand issue, what makes you think the K100D (or a Canon 300D, or a Nikon D40 - all 6.x mega-pixel DSLRs) is a hindrance in taking good photos?

Using the D40 as an example... (thanks ving)
    http://www.ausphotography.net.au/for...ad.php?t=59574
    http://www.ausphotography.net.au/for...ad.php?t=60489
    http://www.ausphotography.net.au/for...ad.php?t=60179
    regards, Kym Gallery Honest & Direct Constructive Critique Appreciated! ©
    Digital & film, Bits of glass covering 10mm to 500mm, and other stuff

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kym View Post
    Ignoring the brand issue, what makes you think the K100D (or a Canon 300D, or a Nikon D40 - all 6.x mega-pixel DSLRs) is a hindrance in taking good photos?

Using the D40 as an example... (thanks ving)
    http://www.ausphotography.net.au/for...ad.php?t=59574
    http://www.ausphotography.net.au/for...ad.php?t=60489
    http://www.ausphotography.net.au/for...ad.php?t=60179
    I definately dont think its a hinderance ..
    In fact its a great camera... I want to get serious, but im thinking if im going to get a HD video capable one, i might as well start builing a kit and skills around the new one.

I actually bought the Pentax K100D from a forum member here (i dont know where the for sale forum went..) but he had won a few comps on Ausphotography with the shots he took with the K100D.. very impressive.

It's all about the Light!
    Tech Admin
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The classifieds are now only visible to members with 50 posts and 30 days membership.

I would work on my skills with what I have...
    Maybe have a look at the New to Photography forum and the Learning Plan.

Then don't rush into buying gear just yet.
    HD video on a DSLR is not the same as a dedicated vid-cam.
    That said there are good benefits with the lenses on a DSLR.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I actually bought the Pentax K100D from a forum member here (i dont know where the for sale forum went..) but he had won a few comps on Ausphotography with the shots he took with the K100D.. very impressive.
    The camera is just a tool. It is the photographer who wins the competitions. A good photographer could get great shots with a phone camera, the skills come from the photographer, not the camera. Join in, post some photos for critique and you will learn.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ricktas View Post
    Considering you say you take as much video as you do shots, maybe you should be looking the other way, a video camera that takes still shots?
    As the old saying goes if you want to take good pics you don't use a phone. The same thing goes for video. Find yourself a good HD camcorder if it is video that grabs you more.

Keep the K100D for your stills or look at upgrading (if needed) as you know it can take good (winning) shots.

anyway that's my 1/2 a cent worth... Good luck with your descision.
    Mat.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] K-x, Sigma 18 - 125, Vivitar 100 - 300, RICOH KR10Super & KR10M (film), Filters, Tubes
    Flickr, RedBubble, Facebook

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree Ricktas...

Any thanks Kym for those links.. Ive actually read something similar.
    I've gotten to know my K100D pretty well over the last 2 years as well as all the principles such as DoF, lighting, rule of thirds etc or so but never taken much that i'm proud off.. except maybe one or 2 when I was overseas last year.

I might post them for critque in the newbies section.

But back to the topic.. I think the D5000 is the way to go for videos due to smaller file sizes. I think i have GBs of video ive taken on Digital Cameras over the years

Reason why i want it in a DSLR is to make use of lens and also handier to have 1 device when on holidays etc.

I'm not a big fan of cam corders i guess.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I might post them for critque in the newbies section.
    Sorry, but the newbies section is NOT for posting photos, all members are equal, you have to post in the member photos forums. This is done on purpose as we do not want newbies segregating themselves from the other members.

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry, but the newbies section is NOT for posting photos, all members are equal, you have to post in the member photos forums. This is done on purpose as we do not want newbies segregating themselves from the other members.
    Oops no worries, ill put with members
    Last edited by li21; 25-07-2010 at 7:41pm.

Account Closed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you want to wait a couple of months, there's a very strong rumour that Nikon will be releasing a D3100 which will have movie mode along with autofocus (which current DSLR's lack while recording movies).

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JazzXP View Post
    If you want to wait a couple of months, there's a very strong rumour that Nikon will be releasing a D3100 which will have movie mode along with autofocus (which current DSLR's lack while recording movies).
    Yeh i've read about that one just the other day.
    Be interesting see how it stacks up to it's big brother.

In the mean time i'm going make the best of my Pentax while it still works

Ausphotography Veteran
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The camera is just a tool.
    So are some photographers!!

However ... as the owner of a 500D which I bought just for travel, I can vouch for its movie capability which is great. However, if you take as much video as you suggest, then I doubt that trying to do it all in one is yet a viable option. The video on the 500D is great for what it does, but you don't have anywhere near the same capabilities as a dedicated video camera.

I needed a video record of where I was, and took a total of only around an hour - but much more than that would have been a right pain given that its first priority is taking still photos. I have no idea what the current quality of still from video cameras is so cannot comment on going down the reverse road.