User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  0

Thread: Sigma 50-500 APO DG OS - First impressions

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sigma 50-500 APO DG OS - First impressions

I got this lens (Canon fit) on Friday night. I have not had much chance to get out with it as the weather is a bit disappointing for photography.
    The lens looks nice and feels good, but the first thing I noticed was the knob for the tripod ring. This ring can only be removed when the lens is NOT attached to a camera and the knob is annoying. It is close to the "grip" and gets in the road.
    This tripod grip is not as good as the splitting "new type" (with the longer 'foot') that I have on the 120-300 f/2.8. It is probably safer, and I shall learn to live with it.
    The zoom ring is stiff. However it does creep if the lens is pointed down. I did not thing it would, being that stiff. I guess it will loosen up a bit. It is a pity that the 'Lock" swith only works in the 50mm position - 500mm would be nice too.
    Focus is fast, and unlike my friend's 150-500 the OS motors are silent - literally silent! The image does jump when the OS kicks in - less than 1 second I reckon - and it can be difficult to get used to re-framing slightly. The image wants to stay where it was!
    The focus on this one is virtually spot on straight out of the box. I gave it a quick check and took a few pics without any microadjustment at all. The images in this post have been Photoshopped, but nothing extra-ordinary.
    http://www.ausphotography.net.au/for...ad.php?t=65042

It is dull and raining here again this morning, so I guess I will not get out today.

I shall add to this post as I get more experience with the lens, and find more likes and/or dislikes.
    Graham

Canon- EOS 7D with BG-E7 grip, 10-22 f/3.5-4.5, 24-105L f/4; Speedlites 580EX II, 550EX, 430EX.
    Sigma- 18-50 f/2.8, 50-150 f/2.8, 120-300 f/2.8, 50-500 f/4.5-6.3 APO DG OS, 30 f/1.4, 150 f/2.8 macro, Sigma APO 1.4x and 2x Teleconverters;
    Kenko Extension tubes; Benro- M-257 tripod & B-1 ballhead; Wimberley- Sidekick.
    Home made "bag" on wheels; heaps and heaps of other minor stuff!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    looks a good lens Graham. Hope you really enjoy it....when the weather finally fines up...
    Graeme
    "May the good Lord look down and smile upon your face"......Norman Gunston___________________________________________________
    Nikon: D7000, D80, 12-24 f4, 17-55 f2.8, 18-135, 70-300VR, 35f2, SB 400, SB 600, TC-201 2x converter. Tamron: 90 macro 2.8 Kenko ext. tubes. Photoshop CS2.