Following on from Magnus' thread http://www.ausphotography.net.au/for...ead.php?t=6262
about the amount of image critiquing that takes place. I have attended a 1/2 day seminar about judging and critiquing photographs about 6 months ago. Below is a quideline sheet we were given at the end of the session that has certainly helped me.

I hope members here find it useful. Some parts are related to judging "hard copy" photographs in a club competition setting, but the information is transferable to the web easily enough.

My favourite method is to score on a percentile basis.
1-60 somewhat below professional or advanced amateur standards- needs a whole lot of re-thinking- would probably not hang in a professional level print show- one or two pointers would not fix things up.

61-74 getting there but no cigar.

75-8O Professional level work.

81-85 Pretty Good Stuff.

86-90 Kick butt work

91-100 Masterful exemplary photography.

Criteria (what to look for)- here’s the list:
Visual impact.
Composition
Lighting
Posing (when applicable)
Treatment
Printing quality- contrast, density, colour balance etc.
Finishing- spotting and retouching (where applicable)
Surface finishing and cleanliness.
Presentation- mounting.

First look at the composition or content in the photograph. What is the center of interest in the picture? Where did the photographer place it in the frame? Did the photographer get close enough to the subject to include only what is important, or are there wasted parts of the picture with elements that do not add to the message of the photo?

Next, observe the background in the photograph. How did the photographer represent the background in regards to focus and depth of field? How does the background add or distract from the message of the photo?

Now take a look at the technical camera work involved in the photograph. Is the subjects sharp and clearly in focus? Is the photo exposed properly? A properly exposed photo will have some texture in the shadows. Are details missing because of over or under exposure?

Then look at the craftsmanship the photographer exhibits. Does the physical photo have spots, stains, or scratches? Is it placed nicely in a frame or elaborately displayed? Is there evidence that the photograph was made with care in the process?

Finally, offer your own personal feelings on the photograph. What do you like about the selected subject? Is it an emotional shot, a story, a statement, a humorous photo? What would you do differently if you had the chance to take the same photograph?