Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  3

Thread: Critiquing Images

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think this should have been posted in the original thread rather than a new one?

Although Craigus has commented here with a link so I will leave it as is until futher notice.

I really think there has been "sticked" stuff posted here before in relation to both threads. I guess its not sticked in the right places or people just are not looking hard enough.

It's a bit like my canvas prints sticky!!
    Nikon D200
    Nikon D70
    Nikkor AF-S VR 70-200 2.8
    Nikkor 50mm 1.8
    Nikkor 18-70 kit lens
    Nikon SB800 Speedlite
    and other stuff

I view stupidity as a virtue.....well it works for me anyway!
    Australian Photography Competitions- Have you voted yet?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This could be good for POTW - as far as general threads, I'm not hear to judge

Just give advise if I can

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm with you Macheew

I've been in Toastmaster's (Public speaking group) for several years and one of the features of this group is Evaluation.
    There is a golden rule in Evaluation (critiquing) and that is
    Commend, Recommend, Commend.
    That way people will know what you liked and where they can improve.
    I'm only new but i've seen posts such as #1 is my pick #2 needs this this this.
    Say what's good about the image you like because that is just as important (from my point of view) as where an image can be improved.
    Question: nobody says or seems to critique POTW pictures. I would like to know sometimes why this one or the other one (sometimes it's just obvious there great shot's!!)
    was better than the others.
    Love the site, Love the honesty, love the diversity love the quality of pic's, and thanks for listening !!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffde View Post
    I'm with you Macheew

I've been in Toastmaster's (Public speaking group) for several years and one of the features of this group is Evaluation.
    There is a golden rule in Evaluation (critiquing) and that is
    Commend, Recommend, Commend.
    That way people will know what you liked and where they can improve.
    I'm only new but i've seen posts such as #1 is my pick #2 needs this this this.
    Say what's good about the image you like because that is just as important (from my point of view) as where an image can be improved.
    Question: nobody says or seems to critique POTW pictures. I would like to know sometimes why this one or the other one (sometimes it's just obvious there great shot's!!)
    was better than the others.
    Love the site, Love the honesty, love the diversity love the quality of pic's, and thanks for listening !!

My sentiments to a tee

Administrator
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    So you would like some critiquing on say the top five entries?

I am sure we can arrange something for after the poll is closed and winners announced. Or are you thinking that the critiques should go alongside the Poll?
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

Amor fati!
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    critiquing our weekly and monthyl comps might not be as easy as one might think. certainly having a one size fits all crit would be good if the winner was picked by one person... alas it is done by vote and not everyone would be comfortable or indeed be able even given training to crit a pic.

of course i have my own thoughts on the comps and the primary thought is that entries should be anon much like the monthly comps on ice in space... but thats beside the point.

I think that if someone puts an image up in the crit section it sould be critiqued as discussed here... or to the best of a persons ability including the fore mentioned "commend recommend commend" format. it easy to pick something to pieces but we like to hear the good points too.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ricktas View Post
    So you would like some critiquing on say the top five entries?

I am sure we can arrange something for after the poll is closed and winners announced. Or are you thinking that the critiques should go alongside the Poll?
    Hmmmm, not sure really....maybe not at all, or if one wishes to then critique in the congratulations thread that's always present after a winner is announced. Which entries get the critique. just the winner or all five finalists...maybe it tends to become a critique only to justify to others why you chose that picture, most of us seem to vote different pix for various reasons, not just on technical aspects.

Administrator
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    making them anon is an interesting idea. would mean submissions would have to be sent to me or the mods, then the whole thread created and each image numbered for initial top 5 etc, so a lot more work involved for an administation of the comps side.

Not sure it would change the outcome as people chat away from AP and they would vote for friends etc if they vote that way now..just by asking 'what number are you'. I don't believe there is a true way to make it completely anonymous at all.

maybe the winners thread would be good for ppl to say why they voted for it (if they did)?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I remember back in my university days my lecturers were quite harsh when they critiqued our works. One lecturer could even manage to bring adults to tears. It was a harsh reality but as we were being trained to be 'professionals' they wanted to see professional work from us (impossible when you're a first year student) but it at least showed us what we needed to aim for with our work.
    Although I really like Ricktas' idea and critiquing style, not everyone on here is looking to be a professional (I'm assuming) but I'm sure we're all looking to improve (even the oldies ).
    If you want to critique photos with the guidelines Ricktas has provided then great! Not sure of the benchmark? My advice is to look through magazines and photo books for examples of the benchmark. As, generally if it's made it into print then it's got the goods.
    If you don't feel up to critiquing like that or feel you're not that cold (joking) then you could try a much softer but effective critiquing style; the ol' ONE, TWO! That is, one negative feedback and two positive feedbacks (it's always a good idea to make the first and last comments the positive feedbacks). Example:

1. I really like the composition of the bla bla bla. Its position in the photo really strengthens the bla bla bla...
    2. The photo is a little under exposed, a wider aperture would have helped.
    3. The colours work really well in conveying the energy of the moment bla bla bla...

Try to cover artistic, technical and aesthetic areas during the critique.

This system doesn't always work as there are sometimes more bad than good but it might encourage more people to add comments and not all of the negative remarks would be coming from one person.

Just another idea.

Cheers
    Matt.

Nikon D700 and D200 with battery grips
    12-24mm F4.5-5.6, 24-70mm F2.8, 80-200mm F2.8D, 300mm F4,
    15mm F2.8 Fisheye, 50mm F1.4, 90mm F2.8 Macro,
    , 2 x SB600 Speedlights
    Velbon and Slik tripods
    Lots of little bits and pieces
    http://aimphoto.blogspot.com/