User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  5
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: 5D Mk ii vs D700

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How's this for an idea? (to be taken with a grain of salt).

Keep the D80.

Take your $7k, and buy a 70-200 2.8, 24-70 2.8 and a 14-24 and a TC-20III. Keep the 28-105 as a walkaround / travel lens.

Wait a year, save some money, and buy whatever replaces the D700.

You will then have the "perfect" kit, and be able to take plenty of fine shots in the meantime with that glass.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i have not used anything nikon in my life so I can't help you with that side of the debate.
    What I can tell you though, is that we have been printing reasonably large (20"x30") from files generated from our old 40D (10+ MP) and from the 5dmkII.
    You'd be kidding yourself if you said you couldn't tell the difference in resolution between the two from up close viewing (ie gallery situations). The D700 is undoubtedly better than the 40D in other ways so I guess the differences aren't entirely due to MP count - but that is my anecdote to share.

the 5dmkII 's low light capabilities in terms of image quality are fantastic (eg wedding receptions) - but once again, I cannot give you a nikon comparator.

I can tell you that if you want to go taking your 5dmkII out in harsh conditions - be very very careful with it - mine has died to moisture that wasn't even direct contact. (iceland - cold, high humidity , waterfall spray etc). It is not known for its weather sealing.
    Call me Dylan! www.everlookphotography.com | www.everlookphotography.wordpress.com | www.flickr.com/photos/dmtoh
    Canon EOS R5, : 16-35mm F4 L, 70-200F4 canon L, 24-70mm 2.8IIcanon L, Sirui tripod + K20D ballhead + RRS ballhead. |Sony A7r2 + Laowa 12mm F2.8, Nisi 15mm F4
    Various NiSi systems : Currently using switch filter and predominantly 6 stop ND, 10 stop ND, 3 stop medium GND
    Post : Adobe lightroom classic CC : Photoshop CC. Various actions for processing and web export

Account Closed
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by maccaroneski View Post
    How's this for an idea? (to be taken with a grain of salt).

Keep the D80.

Take your $7k, and buy a 70-200 2.8, 24-70 2.8 and a 14-24 and a TC-20III. Keep the 28-105 as a walkaround / travel lens.

Wait a year, save some money, and buy whatever replaces the D700.

You will then have the "perfect" kit, and be able to take plenty of fine shots in the meantime with that glass.
    I have considered that idea, however with bodies its always the case that something better will soon be out and if you waited then you'd never buy. I think/hope the current D700 specs will do the trick for at least a few years.

Account Closed
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dtoh View Post
    I can tell you that if you want to go taking your 5dmkII out in harsh conditions - be very very careful with it - mine has died to moisture that wasn't even direct contact. (iceland - cold, high humidity , waterfall spray etc). It is not known for its weather sealing.
    I had read similar things anecdotally and it was one of the reasons for preferring the Nikon.

Thanks for the help.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bb45pz View Post
    I have considered that idea, however with bodies its always the case that something better will soon be out and if you waited then you'd never buy. I think/hope the current D700 specs will do the trick for at least a few years.
    I was thinking more along the lines that right now, you'd get better bang for your buck with some great glass (which will last forever) whereas bodies come and go, and that it might be a happy coincidence that if it took you a while longer to save for the body, then it might be a happy coincidence if the new version was out.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by maccaroneski View Post
    I was thinking more along the lines that right now, you'd get better bang for your buck with some great glass (which will last forever) whereas bodies come and go, and that it might be a happy coincidence that if it took you a while longer to save for the body, then it might be a happy coincidence if the new version was out.
    But then again we could/will get some great new glass too. Simply buy what you need and be consistent. I think if you're sharing make it one brand otherwise you may need two of everything and that does no one good except the manufacturers.
    Photojournalist | Filmmaker | Writer | National Geographic | Royal Geographic

D3x and other gear.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Redgum View Post
    But then again we could/will get some great new glass too. Simply buy what you need and be consistent. I think if you're sharing make it one brand otherwise you may need two of everything and that does no one good except the manufacturers.
    I wasn't really suggesting waiting for the better product - it was more that if something had to wait, then a D80 and great glass will get better shots than a D700 and average glass, so invest in the lenses now, and the body when you can.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Both the 5DII and the D700 are excellent cameras held in very high regard.

My advice? Pick one, go out, take photos.
    Last edited by Jules; 27-07-2010 at 1:40pm.
    Canon DSLRs & lenses | Fuji X series & lenses | Ricoh GR

Account Closed
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ended up getting the D700 (arrives tomorrow hopefully) and Nikon 16-35 VR.

Would have liked the Nikon 14-24 but the filter anguish and extra cost wasn't worth it IMO.

Thanks again to everyone for their help.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Let the fun begin.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234