Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  0

Thread: Sigma 100-300F4 or Canon 300F4L IS

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sigma 100-300F4 or Canon 300F4L IS

Dilemma...

Decided that for my use the Sigma 150-500 is too long for the 7D as I almost always shoot handheld.
    Choices to replace it are Sigma 100-300F4 or Canon 300F4L IS. Similar dollars, similar IQ

Sigma pros:
    One of Sigmas best lenses
    Its a zoom

Canon pros:
    Has IS
    L quality

Interested in peoples thoughts, particularly with the Sigma. Im leaning towards the Canon as with an Effective Focal length of 480mm the IS will be pretty handy.
    Canon 1D, 5D, 7D & D2000 plus lotsa extras
    See here for gear list: http://www.ausphotography.net.au/for...d.php?p=151869

My photo website http://www.touring4x4.com/
    Travel & photography blog: http://www.touring4x4.com/blog/

PP & CC is OK

Moderately Underexposed
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No Dilemma to me at all really.

I assume that you want the reach a 300mm lens gives?

If you intend to shoot mainly at that focal length then consider the reviews of both lenses and settle on the one that suits your needs best.

If you want the convenience of a zoom lens then I guess the Sigma probably does the job better.

If you want to hand hold the camera and lens then the Canon is a vastly superior piece of gear courtesy of IS, (whether it is 1, 2 or 3 stops of stabilisation).

Sorry, L quality and lens designation don't do much for me, a lens with a reputation rather than a badge will win me over every time.

I am happy with the performance of the Sigma even when combined with a 1.4 x converter wide open to have a lens that Nikon don't seem to want to make. Canon do it all ready with the 100-400 which is a fantastic lens, have you thought about that as a zoom?
    Andrew
    Nikon, Fuji, Nikkor, Sigma, Tamron, Tokina and too many other bits and pieces to list.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by I @ M View Post
    No Dilemma to me at all really.

I assume that you want the reach a 300mm lens gives?

If you intend to shoot mainly at that focal length then consider the reviews of both lenses and settle on the one that suits your needs best.

If you want the convenience of a zoom lens then I guess the Sigma probably does the job better.

If you want to hand hold the camera and lens then the Canon is a vastly superior piece of gear courtesy of IS, (whether it is 1, 2 or 3 stops of stabilisation).

Sorry, L quality and lens designation don't do much for me, a lens with a reputation rather than a badge will win me over every time.

I am happy with the performance of the Sigma even when combined with a 1.4 x converter wide open to have a lens that Nikon don't seem to want to make. Canon do it all ready with the 100-400 which is a fantastic lens, have you thought about that as a zoom?
    Agree. I have a mix of Sigma and Canon lenses (L and non-L) so not really a brand snob. Hence my interest in peoples experience using the Sigma handheld on a crop camera. If the Sigma had their OS it would be an easy decision. Canon 100-400 didnt really float my boat when I bought the 150-500 so unlikely to do so now. 300F4 = 480F4 on a 7D which would be ideal.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm in the same boat as you Andrew, I just sold my 100-400, while it's a great lens for hand holding, had great IQ and loved the extra reach over my 70-200, but the 5.6 aperture was a bit too slow for shooting the kids footy when the light was low, even on an overcast day I was having to bump up the ISO more than I wanted, but if a put my 70-200 to f4 in those same situations, I was getting a SS that I was happy with, without having to bump up the ISO.

Stabilisation would be good, but I'll be using a monopod most of the time, I don't mind hand holding when I'm on my knee, as I'll usually put my elbow on top of my thigh, but when I'm standing, it's nice to use a monopod or tripond, even when I'm getting a very fast SS.

ATM, I'm leaning towards the sigma, seems to get great reviews, and the convenience of a zoom would be nice.

Be sure to keep us up to date if you do go the sigma, I'd be very interested in hearing you comments, and virsa versa if I get one before you.
    Jayde

Honest CC whether good or bad, is much appreciated.
    Love and enjoy photography, but won't be giving up my day job.

Flickr

Ausphotography Veteran
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I used to own the Canon EF 300mm f/4L IS USM, and it was a fantastic lens. Very sharp, fast to focus, and delivered me some very pleasing images.

I cannot comment about the Sigma, but the Canon is excellent and I'd recommend it to anyone who wants a good, relatively fast 300mm lens. It is also compatible with the 1.4x TC, and produces good results.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Got the Canon.
    Already have a 70-200 so decided I didnt really need the zoom of the Sigma and so went with the one with IS.
    First impressions are very good. Super sharp and the AF is lightning quick. Seems to bring out the best in the 7D and its extra AF points. Effectively getting 480mm F4 lens with 18Mpx & 8fps. Noice

Also got sick of juggling 3 camera backpacks on trips so got a Lowepro ProRoller2 that holds 3 bodies, 8lenses and and some of the other junk. Backpacks will still have their uses but for quick access to everything this case rocks. Damned heavy though.

Ausphotography Veteran
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew View Post
    Got the Canon.
    Nice choice.

You will enjoy that lens; it is very sharp.

It's often lost in the shadow of its f/2.8 brother, but one advantage (besides significantly reduced cost, size and weight) it has over the f/2.8 is a much shorter minimum focus distance of 1.5m.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think its a great lens. I had to decide between it and my 180L. Im happy with my choice but every now and then I do wonder.
    Using a 7d or a s95
    Advice and Edits welcome
    http://adamrose.wordpress.com/ [/CENTER]