0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by manic77 View Post
    Olympus the best compact camera with affordable bright lovely lens

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pentax

I always wondered why so many seem to gravitate to Canon & Nikon though - is it because there is just more stock in the shops?

For sure its a pain that there isnt so much Pentax glass to test out in your local store, but given about 95% of Canon/Nikon users i see out and about only have the kit lens, im kind of puzzled. Pentax lenses are exceptionally big in bang-for your buck, amazing primes, and cheap, very user friendly cameras that seem to cost more for same features/grade in Canon/Nikon.

Administrator
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JayR View Post
    Pentax

I always wondered why so many seem to gravitate to Canon & Nikon though - is it because there is just more stock in the shops?

For sure its a pain that there isnt so much Pentax glass to test out in your local store, but given about 95% of Canon/Nikon users i see out and about only have the kit lens, im kind of puzzled. Pentax lenses are exceptionally big in bang-for your buck, amazing primes, and cheap, very user friendly cameras that seem to cost more for same features/grade in Canon/Nikon.
    My thoughts on this is advertising. Ever seen Pentax advertise on the tv? Also grab one of the local camera magazines and have a browse. How many Canon/Nikon ads are there compared to Pentax? Canon and Nikon get their brand name out there, so much so that when someone walks into a camera store, those two brand names are already very well known to them.

Remember also that Canon also sell printers. photocopiers. scanners etc. Most people are exposed to the brand in some way every day, in their workplace, home printer etc. It is often seen as a reliable brand for electronic equipment. All of this goes to ensuring Canon stays at the top of the pile, in my opinion.
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Canon - (a very old one at that )
    Cheers,
    Scott
    ------------------------------
    Homepage : flickr : pBase

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This seems to confirm the popularity of Canon and Nikon.

For me the choice of Canon was determined much earlier on in the film days when a photographer friend recommended an EOS SLR . When digital came it was natural stick to Canon to be able to use the extant lenses.
    Last edited by andrask; 20-08-2010 at 6:48pm.
    Canon EOS 5D Mark II
    EF 50mm f/1.4 | EF 70-200 f/4L USM | EF 17-40mm f/4L USM | EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM | EF 28-70 f/3.5-4.5 II
    EF 25 II Extension Tube | Velbon Sherpa 250R tripod

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    From a Newbie perspective, I agree with Rick's comments.

When I was looking to purchase my first DSLR a few months ago, every shop was stocking Canon and Nikon. When I read photography magazines, to assist with my learning, there is a full page advertisment by either Canon or Nikon or both by very little from other brands.

Canon appears to be having a big push on the 550D and is offering one as a prize in a number of competions. This means that you get the Canon camera body and, unless you sell it, you will end up purchasing Canon lenses. Once you start purchasing Canon lenses the next camera that you purchase will probably also be a Canon as you alreay have the lenses to go with it.

I purchased the 450D, which I find to be a great camera for what I require, but not because I knew much about the difference in camera's but because I am a sucker for Advertising and a good sales pitch.

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Canon here, when only the best will do.

I picked canon due to the fact that, Good camera, a wider range of lenses and for the money not too bad on price.
    I am not saying cheap, as they are not, but are cheaper than the same focal length as a Nikon.

Must win money, get more lenses and a big one at that .

Peter
    Any comments and critique always welcome
    Canon 400d twin lens kit & 60d : Canon 580 EX II & 430 EX II Flash | Cokin filters NDG 2,4 & 8 ND 8. + CPL | Sigma APO 150-500 OS DG | Canon 400L Canon 17-40L & 60 mm Macro.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nikon x 2 here...

An honest C+C please!

"I started life with nothing and I still have most of it left"

Nikon D300
    Photoshop CS4 Extended

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Canon
    Julie

Site Rules Breach - Permanent Ban
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wonder if the people who don't have a Canon or Nikon wish that they had bought one now........or did you make initial informed buying decisions?

Ausphotography Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JimD View Post
    I wonder if the people who don't have a Canon or Nikon wish that they had bought one now........or did you make initial informed buying decisions?
    Informed buying decisions.

I had a couple of decent quality Sigma lenses with Pentax mounts and the relative who works for Nikon couldn't get me enough of a discount to make losing or adapting them worth the effort. The Pentax sold itself and no I don't regret buying a Pentax instead of a Canon or Nikon! Everything I've used the K-x for since its purchase has confirmed it was the right choice for me, especially for low light performance and value for money. JMHO, Jim. You did ask and no I am not trying to start a brouhaha!
    Last edited by WhoDo; 25-08-2010 at 1:51pm.
    Waz
    Be who you are and say what you mean, because those who matter don't mind don't matter and those who mind don't matter - Dr. Seuss...
    D700 x 2 | Nikkor AF 50 f/1.8D | Nikkor AF 85 f/1.8D | Optex OPM2930 tripod/monopod | Enthusiasm ...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No - I also had some old Pentax mount lenses courtesy of my Husband from his film slr days which influenced my decision somewhat. Although every review that I read of entry level Dslrs (doing research prior to buying a Dslr) rated the Pentax K-x as far superior than its Nikon and Canon counterparts. Image quality on the K-x is even thought to be comparable in some reviews with the 7D. I do wish that Pentax made a cheap nifty fifty (such as Canon does) but I think Pentax makes up for this by the backward compatibility of its lenses. So far I have been very happy indeed with the photos I have been taking.
    D800 Nikon 70-200 VR II, Nikon 105 2.8, Nikon 24-120 f4,
    Sigma 85mm 1.4, Sigma 50mm 1.4, Sigma 35mm 1.4 DG HSM

Site Rules Breach - Permanent Ban
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the replies. I was going to initially buy a Pentax as the reviews all gave it more stars than the Canon 50D I first purchased.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Canon 50D - only dropped once
    come on Nikon owners come over to the dark side

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nikon.

...I'm interested in the Pentax K5 however - but it would be huge big leap, as I've got sooo much money tied up in the Nikon system making a change would be very hard to do. I do love my D5000 and D90, but would consider a swap if something looked sufficiently tempting.

Please don't hesitate to provide me with CC! I'd love to hear your thoughts regarding any of my images. Thanks!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Canon- but have previously been rapt with Pentax film SLR's
    The Impressionists hoped to........" Capture the transient effect of light and colour"........ I wish I could!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Started with Sony.....but now and forever after Canon

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567