Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: LENSES to buy new or used

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

LENSES to buy new or used

HI all new to purchasing gear and would like to know when buying used lens do you actualy save money or end up with some one elses junk they want to cash in on.Is it a better option to buy the imports new of ebay.Do lenes get damaged by postage.Should you buy lens made in Japan or Taiwan buy Canon.Thank you Scott.
    Last edited by Raptor Reptiles; 21-07-2010 at 12:56pm.

Ausphotography Site Sponsor/Advertiser kmaisch's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've purchased 3 second-hand lenses, 1 grey import lens, and 2 Australian-stocked lenses.

The second-hand lenses were all in reasonable condition and are actually some of my best lenses (eg: a $1200 prime lens for $500 second-hand, etc). You just need to ask all the right questions and make sure the person you are buying from is legit. Photographers are usually fairly honest people with pride in their equipment I think

The grey import lens I bought is a bit dodgy... it had back-focus problems, and the lens mount wasn't assembled very well. I've sent it back for twice for warranty repairs (back to the company that sold it to me) which has been fairly slow (I think the lens got sent back to Hong Kong). I ended up having it fixed in Australia a third time (paying rather than the hassle of international warranty). This was has been my only grey-market purchase - maybe I was just unlucky. It's actually needing to get fixed a fourth time at the moment - I think I'll just retire this lens, even though it's only 2 years old

The new lenses I've bought in Australia have been all good quality with no dramas. I have a feeling maybe we get better quality-control than grey imports, but I don't know that for sure.

Kim
    Free Camera Classifieds » http://www.cameramarket.com.au | Photography » http://www.kmaisch.com

50% Discount for Camera Market Feature Ads - use Club Code ausphotography50.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have purchased one second hand lens and all my others have been new. I was a bit hesitant buying a second hand lens but with plenty of good advice from the good people on Australian Photography I was well informed of what to look out for and what to be aware of. The lens turned out to be in excellent condition and I am very happy with it. You should be reasonably alright if you do the research prior to purchase and payment.
    Andrew

Mostly Canon gear

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I guess it's like buying anything second hand... I wouldn't say you're buying someone elses garbage, as people have all kinds of good reasons to sell lenses. The key is to know what questions to ask and to take whatever steps you can to build some trust in the seller.

The Commander
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bought a 2nd L and a new SP Tammy. My preference was to see the lens first hand but I think provided you have some guarantee the lens is looked after I think 2nd hand is a good option is you are cost restrained.
    I probably saved $600 on my L that was as good as new so there is some attraction in the 2nd market for my next L purchase.
    Please be honest with your Critique of my images. I may not always agree, but I will not be offended - CC assists my learning and is always appreciate

https://mikeathome.smugmug.com/

Canon 5D3 - Gripped, EF 70-200 L IS 2.8 MkII, , 24-105 L 4 IS MkI, 580 EX II Speedlite, 2x 430 Ex II Speedlite

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for your opinions i was only considering 2nd hand as i can get alot more lens,as my other hobby /job is quite costly and takes up most of my funds to keep it running in the off season.Thank you Scott.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    hmm interesting im looking for lens too (& camera) and tossing up the sec hd / new debate in my head. Not sure if better to sacrifice quality for new or other way round.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have 4 lenses bought new over the years.
    I have 11 I bought second hand, some in person, some off ebay.

I wasted money on the first 4
    The world is an AMAZING place . . .
    flickr :: panoramio

It's all about the Light!
    Tech Admin
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by clickclick View Post
    hmm interesting im looking for lens too (& camera) and tossing up the sec hd / new debate in my head. Not sure if better to sacrifice quality for new or other way round.
    I responded to your intro post... answer is there

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have bought 1 x 2nd hand lens but it wasn't a very expensive lens. It was a Pentax DA 55-300mm zoom and it cost me about $350. I figured if it was no good then I hadn't wasted too much money. I love the lens and use it heaps. I have also bought a brand new Zigma 10-20mm from Adorama and had it shipped. It arrived in a matter of days, no damage, all working perfectly well and I love it too.

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    2nd hand lenses are fine providing you ask plenty of questions - the more I spend the more I ask - including getting more photos etc from the seller.

I have been burnt once or twice and I now no longer will buy a lens from QLD because of mould issues - but even then if the seller is a trusted seller then I may take a chance. I only have 1 new lens, a Siggy 10-20 bought from B&H recently through Forum link - very happy. 2 of my 3 camera purchases were new - local retailers, the 3rd from a Pentax Forum member who I got to trust.

If you are buying on Ebay make sure you use Paypal - there are plenty of links on this site & elsewhere why you should, although I'm sure someone will disagree.
    Regards
    Kevin

Nikon D500 D7200. nikkor 200-500 f5.6, Tamron 100-400, Nikkor 70-200 f4 plus other glass.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/kevpride/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    second-hand lenses are fine, most ppl upgrade lenses anyway. You should try it out, and of course if it's in good nick it won't be much off the new price.

Don't Ebay, Paypal doesn't protect. ANyone who says it does just hasn't had an issue. Search online for info.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i always try to look for second hand lenses in the AP classifieds. as i only have two lenses at the moment, i frequent that page.. i don't think AP'ers will try to rip off other AP'ers...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've bought most of my lenses 2nd Hand. Rarely, very rarely from E-bay. Usually from B & H. Never a problem. I've purchased from other US vendors as well.

I only buy from e-bay if I have to.

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks people for the response,i have been looking on ebay and im the sort of person who only buys something if he gets it when he hands over the money.This applies to every thing i do not just ebay.The misses seems to think things on ebay are ok and safe to purchase.
    Im only new to the dslr (own a new 50d)and have had it for 4 days but still only switched it on to look at the menu.Plan to use it this weekend when i have put the software on the computer.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've been wondering this too. I really want to upgrade my kit and have been looking at the Canon 24-85mm as they come up from time to time on Ebay but I really dont know much about buying second hand lenses or what to look for. Most dont even mention quality. There is an auction ending in a few hours. Tempted but scared

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by coffeegal View Post
    I've been wondering this too. I really want to upgrade my kit and have been looking at the Canon 24-85mm as they come up from time to time on Ebay but I really dont know much about buying second hand lenses or what to look for. Most dont even mention quality. There is an auction ending in a few hours. Tempted but scared
    That lens is a gem. Get one if you could.
    I have one very nice copy.
    If I'm lazy to use the heavy 24-70mm f2.8, this one gets the slot.
    The lens is f3.5-4.5 which is good compared to other lenses starting at f4
    Discountinued line, so a bit rare this one.
    "The greatest camera in the world is the one you hold in your hands when shit happens." ©2007 Raoul Isidro

Amor fati!
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    its safe to buy secondhand, just make sure they are in good condition... particularly the glass. look for sctratches ,chips, excessive dust inside and anything growing in there. if all is clear and they are mechanically good then i guess it'd be safe...

grey inports might not come with an australian warranty. its best to check that out. greys are good to but too tho

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    if u buy a Canon L lens from grey import, it is covered by Australian warranty.

I have 5 lenses, and only 1 was bought new from a retail store in Aus, the rest are 2nd hand from ebay, forums and from friends, and 1 overseas

make sure u know the history and condition of a lens - a 70-200 IS lens which has seen service by a combat photojournalist in Afghanistan will be quite abused compared to a photo-hobbyist that keeps their lens in spotless condition - thus the IS could see a shorter lifespan than the latter, you wouldnt want to pay for repairs later etc.

Ausphotography Regular Brian500au's Avatar
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have bought all my gear second hand but by the look of it you would think it was all new. I have found you need to know your gear - or know someone who knows gear.

I have bought my gear from ebay, and two different forums in the US. So far so good, but if buying on ebay make sure you insist on paying via paypal - I have been burned but paypal came to the rescue.
    www.kjbphotography.com.au

1DxII, EOS R, 200-400 f4L Ext, 100-400 f4.5-5.6L II, 70-200 F4IS, 24-70 F2.8 II, 16-35 F4IS

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast