8 8.42%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Camera Breakdowns Of DSLRs

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    compact cameras have an astonishing failure rate, as high as 6.2% (Canon), however I'm not sure how those figures stack up in the SFDSLR market.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ricktas View Post
    Ummm. what number of breakdowns? I personally know of one photographer who had one camera with a shutter issue. And I know a lot of photographers. This is not the ones on AP, just the ones I personally know.

As for flicking the shutter 1000 times on a good day, that depends on genre. I often can go out for hour and come back with less than 100 photos, sometimes only 30 or so.

I think you might be creating an issue re shutter failure that isn't really an issue.

I think you have missed the OP's orginal point.

Sure, he seemed to be implying that shutters might fail more regularly but, then appeared to concead that even if they do, it is due to the fact that we expect far, far more from a shutter mechanism these days.

Regardless of the genre you shoot mostly, most of us would take many more photos with a digital camera than a film camera.

Last Sunday, I took 250 odd shots of my girl's hockey game.
    The Sunday before, I took about 100 frames at the AP dawn met at Narrabeen.
    On Cockatoo Is, last Saturday, I took 70 odd.
    ... most of which end up under the delete button.

There is no way ever, in the universe , I would ever do that with film. I would probably take one 24 or 36 roll (maybe two to the hockey) and make do.

At probably $1 per shutter press (very approx as I am so out of that loop), very few of us would ever dream of going nuts with the shutter. My last week would have cost over $400 in photos alone (my wife would be very cross).

So, yes, shutters prob do fail more often but, we probably actuate them at least 10x as often as in the old days.

I reckon, and I think the OP does as well, that the manufacturers have improved shutters very well.

Scotty
    Canon 7D : Canon EF 70-200mm f:2.8 L IS II USM - Canon EF 24-105 f:4 L IS USM - Canon EF 50mm f:1.8 - Canon EF-s 18-55mm f:3.5-5.6
    Sigma APO 150-500mm f:5-6.3 DG OS HSM
    - Sigma 10-20mm f:3.5 EX DC HSM
    Speedlite 580 EX II - Nissin Di866 II - Yongnuo 460-II x2 - Kenko extension tube set - Canon Extender EF 1.4x II
    Manfroto monopod - SILK 700DX Pro tripod - Remote release - Cokin Z-Pro filter box + Various filters

Current Social Experiment: CAPRIL - Wearing a cape for the month of April to support Beyond Blue
    Visit me on Flickr

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Scotty72 View Post
    I think you have missed the OP's orginal point.

Sure, he seemed to be implying that shutters might fail more regularly but, then appeared to concead that even if they do, it is due to the fact that we expect far, far more from a shutter mechanism these days.
    Sure, but when you look at the current DSLR, many have shutter mechanisms rated to 300,000 activations, whereas a few years back it was 50,000 or 100,000. The OP stated "these camera manufacturers have failed to develop further the number one bread and butter of a DSLR: The Shutter Mechanism". However the camera manufacturers are obviously working on improving this aspect of camera design, as with all other aspects or we wouldn't have seen this jump in rated actuations. So I questioned the accuracy of his statements, and stand by that.

The OP stated "The amount of breakdowns involving modern DSLRs, specifically the shutter and reflex mirror box..", which is what I disagreed with., I do not think modern DSLR breakdown any more than their predecessors. In fact considering all the electronics etc in a modern DSLR they are quite reliable. Especially when you open up an old film slr that is completely mechanical, no silicon chip to be seen, no batteries!

My post was purely to point out that I thought he was making what is an issue for very few DSLR users, into a bigger one than what the reality is.
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

It's all about the Light!
    Tech Admin
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    +1 ^^^

Quote Originally Posted by RaoulIsidro View Post
    The amount of breakdowns involving modern DSLRs, specifically the shutter and reflex mirror box, made me realise that despite <snip and spelling corrected>
    The whole tone of the OP says there is a problem when clearly there is not.
    As I indicated earlier the issue is: does the shutter actuations meet or exceed the manufacturers spec in most cases?
    Not that they don't break down at all.

Equipment reliability today is actually very good compared with camera's made in the 80's and 90's.
    (Eg. my 1977 MX has metal gears etc. later models went to plastics and had a lower life.)

So do the arithmetic ... $2,000 body @ 100,000 actuations = $0.02 per shot, and it can be repaired for $500 - $1,000 .
    Compare HP5 @ $8 per 24 shot roll = $0.33 / shot; plus developing and printing.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kym View Post
    +1 ^^^

The whole tone of the OP says there is a problem when clearly there is not.
    There is certainly not (for most people anyway).

And sure, he asked if their was a problem but, he said...

It was then that I answered my own question:
    ... and then went on to pretty well dismiss his own question as silly.

So, I am not sure that he has brought up a complaint that is a non-issue...

In fact, it seems to me that HE is the one identifying shutter reliability as a non-issue; so, I am confused as to why there is intense discussion (bordering on criticism of the OP) about a topic that everyone seems to agree with the OP, wholeheartedly.

Scotty

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Scotty72 View Post
    (bordering on criticism of the OP) about a topic that everyone seems to agree with the OP, wholeheartedly.

Scotty
    I criticised particular comments, as did other members. There is a big difference between commenting and criticising a sentence, to criticising the member!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Never had a problem or know of anybody that has. Doesn't mean it doesn't happen though, sounds like a good reason for me to tell hubby i should start thinking about an upgrade
    Julie

Canon 6D,Fuji X100
    l Canon 50mm f1.8 MK l l Canon 85mm f1.8 l Canon 100mm f2.8L Macro l Canon 24-70IS f4L l LR4/CS6

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Maybe a good reason not to buy a second hand body!

Who me?
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    all good here, fingers crossed
    Cheers David.

Canon 40D/EF-S 17-85 mm IS/Kenko Extenson Tubes/Canon EF 50mm F/1.8 II (nifty fifty)
    Sigma 10-20mm 4-5.6 /Sigma 70-200/ Sigma 1.4 teleconverter/ some Conkin filters | Adobe Photoshop CS6

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I hope this doesn't jinx me!
    Thanks for looking....Cheers,
    Julie-Anne / Julie / Jules / Julesy / JAS

MY ..... MY BLOG..... Feel free to look.
    Canon 40D / 24-105mm L IS / 70-200mm L IS / 75-300mm / 50mm 1.8 / Sigma 10-20mm / Manfrotto tripod / Bits and pieces to fill the bag.

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As I've previously mentioned on AP, my 40D's shutter mechanism failed after 13k actuations... Luck of the draw...
    Richard
    Canon 5D4 & 7D2 | 11-24 f/4 L | 24-105 f/4 L | 100-400 L II | 85 f/1.2 L | 35 f/1.4 L II | 100 f/2.8 L macro | MP-E 65 f/2.8 macro | 1.4x | 580EX2 | MT-24 Twin Lite | Manfrotto

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i haven't had shutter failure on a DSLR, fingers crossed. But failures in general seem to way above what should be expected I think.............

6a00df351e888f88340133eca9182a970b-800wi.jpg

Haven't found the figures for DSLR's, but wouldn't imagine there'd be much difference, perhaps even higher if anything.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We don't talk about tyre or break pad failure when they wear out after appropriate time. Camera shutters are no different are they? After long enough any camera shutter will wear out I expect.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have had 2.5 shutter failures. First, the half failure: that was my second 20D, and it failed after I sold it. It had done quite a lot of work.

The other two:

My first 20D had a shutter fail after a lot of work. This really shouldn't count as a failure as it was really just worn out after many, many actuations. If they all lasted as long as this one, there wouldn't be a problem. I paid Canon to put a new shutter in the old 20D and I still have the camera, and l use it every day.

My second 40D had a shutter fail after hardly any work at all. Very poor run. But then, the 40D was a dud model, with more reliability complaints than any of the similar ones before and after (20D, 30D, 50D). Lots of people had shutter problems with 40Ds. As I recall, it was a new design, not like the 10D/20D/30D unit, and presumably it took them a while to get it right. But get it right they have - we are not hearing lots of shutter problems with 50D and up, only the 40D.

By the way, on my my other 40D, the shutter has been OK. Pity about the three other problems this camera has had.

Is shutter failure a big issue? No.

Does it happen often enough to be of some concern? Yes.

Is it worth having a failed shutter replaced? It depends: how much do you like the camera? If you are fond of it and not so keen on the idea of a new one, go ahead.
    Tony

It's a poor sort of memory that only works backwards.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12