User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  1
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: PP: MAC (Desktop) vs PC (Laptop)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JM Tran View Post
    I wouldnt go as far as saying theyre amazing mate, theyre adequate......is the best word. The high reflections from lighting indoors makes it very annoying sometimes, and its inability to properly show deep shadows properly due to the high gloss can make it a bit unnerving for those wanting the best accuracy possible. But it is much better than the old and obsolete Apple 30 inch Cinema Display monitor.

the high res matte screen on my macbook pro is a lot better for photo representation whilst editing,compared to the glossy LED backlit screens from other macbooks or iMacs, albeit a lot smaller of course.
    Well, your hard to please mate! To much time at the computer looking for inadequacies. For the money I think they are amazing. I have a high res matt finish 17" MacBook Pro as well and I do agree it is better but way to small and annoying.

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BLWNHR View Post
    Why not, I'll throw my $0.02 in.

First up I'll start with a few questions:
    Why do you have the choice? Do you not own a computer now? Or are you looking to buy a new system?
    If you are looking to buy a new system make sure any peripherals (printers, scanners etc.) will work with your chosen platform (Mac or PC).
    What software do you currently use? Have you bought software to suit the flatform you currently use?
    What is your budget?

If you can answer those it will really help in giving you an informed opinion.

A couple of points to remember.
    Mac's are significantly more expensive to buy and repair. There are fewer options for service than there are for PC.
    Internet-based support for Mac is also more difficult to find (though the gap is beginning to close).
    Thanks for the replies. To answer some questions.
    I run a laptop (PC) for work and have a MAC desktop at home. So no, not buying a new system. If I go with using the laptop, I will invest in a secondary (Large) screen - this offsets the poor screen issue of a laptop.

I think I have some well rounded responses here - and some areas I need to look into further.

Thanks again,

JzB

A royal pain in the bum! arthurking83's Avatar
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nah! I wouldn't do that(use the laptop with a secondary screen!)

just use the Mac!... you already go it

if you ever think of updating one the machines in the future, then consider the options. For now, use what you have as you already have them.

Macs do tend to have better screens by default in the mid to upper end, from what I've seen, but I've never had any contact with the lower end(cheapest) Macs.. so I dunno.
    PC's you get what you pay for, and you need a minimum of $400ish for a high quality 22"LCD from a reputable vendor.

Sometimes tho, with having so much variety in the PC world in terms of both software and hardware, you can invariably choose the 'wrong setup'.. which I kind'a did with my current PC.
    (I build my own boxes) and I went for a more expensive physical box(tower) and cheaped out on the graphix card, where I bought a very low end single card($40) instead of the originally planned 2 x mid-high end cards(total approx $300-500) due to budget constraints.
    Nikon D800E, D300, D70s
    {Nikon}; -> 50/1.2 : 500/8 : 105/2.8VR Micro : 180/2.8 ais : 105mm f/1.8 ais : 24mm/2 ais
    {Sigma}; ->10-20/4-5.6 : 50/1.4 : 12-24/4.5-5.6II : 150-600mm|S
    {Tamron}; -> 17-50/2.8 : 28-75/2.8 : 70-200/2.8 : 300/2.8 SP MF : 24-70/2.8VC

{Yongnuo}; -> YN35/2N : YN50/1.8N

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12