Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: PS - Lightroom

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

PS - Lightroom

Hey,

i just got photoshop cs4. Before I was only using lightroom 3.

It seems that there are a lot of functions which are similar in these two programs.

I was wondering which of the adjustments you do in lightroom and which you go to ps to.

For instance all the basic adjustments in Lightroom. I am not sure at what point I should swap to PS, or if I should at all. Or is it better to use PS just for special adjustments for specific photos?

Would be really interested how you guys use these 2 programs in conjunction.

Cheers,

Mirc
    Constructive criticism is most welcome!!!

Canon 40D, 100-300 5.6 L
    Sigma 17-70
    Manfrotto Tripod

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I do 99% in Lightroom and only go to Photoshop if I have something specific to do that Lightroom can't.
    Mic

Photography is the art of telling stories with light.

www.michaelgoulding.com

dieselpower
    Quote Originally Posted by etherial View Post
    I do 99% in Lightroom and only go to Photoshop if I have something specific to do that Lightroom can't.
    Same here.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For me it depends what I am doing, Id echo that I do as much in LR as I can then only take to PS if there are things that LR is not that good at and i need to use layers, some plug-ins that I like, add texr etc
    Darren
    Gear : Nikon Goodness
    Please support Precious Hearts
    Constructive Critique of my images always appreciated

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Think of LR as PS for photographers. It does 99.9% of things a photographer requires during pp. PS is used when the artist needs to come out. Before people start to shout, I am generalizing.

I catalog and process all my images in LR to make them as close a documentary image as possible to what I saw. Then and only then, will I work on them further, sometimes in LR or I'll use PS to add textures, cloning, composites, etc. I also use other plug-ins like nik software which can also be started from LR.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very interesting. Thanks for the comments. I am just thinking if it is worse learning photoshop. It is sooo much to learn and would probably take a lot of time.

And 1% is not really much i guess.

On the other hand i would assume that most of the images who win any competitions for instance were somehow processed in ps, or?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    no, not at all

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm the same, 99% Lightroom 3, And in CS5 (Photoshop) I like the new "Content Aware" feature for cleaning up the Image,Also if you want to add a Digital frame , No you don't have to have PS to win Comps
    Canon : 30D, and sometimes the 5D mkIII , Sigma 10-20, 50mm 1.8, Canon 24-105 f4 L , On loan Sigma 120-400 DG and Canon 17 - 40 f4 L , Cokin Filters

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    well fair enough, maybe i overrated the photoshop thing a bit. Should probably just stick to Lightroom and learn all its features instead of trying to to teach myself ps.

Thanks for the responses and would be interesting how other people use their lr and ps.....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am in the minority here - I PS every image, generally to dodge and burn and adjust contrast levels and curve tweaks. I use LR to catalog and edit down, and also to batch apply colour corrections. I use a select few Totally Rad actions as well - subtly I hope!

I would kinda like to do more in LR, but I have been using PS for so long I have it customized exactly to my liking - almost everything has a tweakable action assigned to a function key.

LR is great for exporting images for print or web display though.

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you for all the comments. very informative. I might not need to get into photoshop so much afterall

Any more comments would be great !

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lightroom has been designed to "do it all". Now with the image noise reduction built in, i notice i never have the need for the PS software any more. LR3 is more than sufficient.

However, if you are looking at adding masks and layers to your images for effects such as lights, smoky scenes and foggy conditions then PS CS4 is great for all that.
    Daniel Thompson

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Canon 7D & 5D Mark II : 24-70mm f2.8L : 70-200mm f2.8L IS II : 17-40mm f4L : CANON EF 100MM F2.8 MACRO L IS USM: 10-22mm f3.5-4.5 USM : 18-135mm f3.5-5.6 IS : 50mm f1.8 : 430EX II & 580EX II External Speedlites : Manfrotto 190X PROB + 804RC2 head : Lee CPL, ND and GND filter system : Lee Big Stopper : CS6 Photoshop : PS Elements 11 : PS Lightroom 5 Tightly packed into a Lowepro Pro Runner 450

Follow me on FACEBOOK http://www.facebook.com/GreenOrchardPhotography

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    been reading through the lightroom threads...and I'm torn...If one was to have the opportunity to purchase cs5 or lr3, what would one go for. I have cs2 installed, but it doesn't support NEF, so I was thinking about keeping it for the fun stuff and buying lightroom for the majority of PP, whats yer thoughts? I can get both programs at a student price...my degree finishes at the end of the year!
    J e f f

D90: with optional noob skills.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, they are complimentary products. I do most of my work on lr but if I need to do cloning, masking, layers, text, composites, etc I use Photoshop

Lr can't do any of that really, but you may not need to either

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    thanks kiwi...think I might go ahead with lR and keep the old cs2 for playing..
    Last edited by jjhtt; 03-10-2010 at 9:30pm.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes

Yiu can trial lr3 for 90 days, see how you go without using cs2

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jjhtt View Post
    been reading through the lightroom threads...and I'm torn...If one was to have the opportunity to purchase cs5 or lr3, what would one go for. I have cs2 installed, but it doesn't support NEF, so I was thinking about keeping it for the fun stuff and buying lightroom for the majority of PP, whats yer thoughts? I can get both programs at a student price...my degree finishes at the end of the year!
    Although not a Nikon user, CS2, if its a legit version, should be able to be updated to support NEF files ?
    William

www.longshots.com.au

I am the PhotoWatchDog

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jjhtt View Post
    Be careful dropping a lot of cash on Adobe products if your student days are coming to a close. They are very protective of their student licenses now and you may find that your license is only good for the period of time for which you hold the student ID. You will need to supply copies of your ID to Adobe and they will then issue you a product key code. You might want to look into that a little more.

LR3 trial is only for 30 days, I'm using it at the moment. Its pretty powerful and can do a lot of stuff pretty quickly. I get the impression that the guys using just PS can skin the same cat in a different way, but the layers and cloning stuff for PS is in a different league.
    I'm getting a LR3 in a weeks time from a crowd in the states and its only around $250Au. Look for them on eBay.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great thread

I have been torn on this issue too, Lightroom 3 is actually affordable but CS5 is affordable for Students and Pro Photographers who can make a living from it, ohh and teachers - lord only knows why they get a blanket discount as only a small% teach arts, but for the average guy in the street over $2k for software is insane.

My mind is made up finally after reading this thread, it's Lightroom 3 and what i save i can spend on other bits.

Thanks to all for a very informative discussion.
    My Goal in life is to be as good a person as my dog thinks I am

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    just spoke with adobe....license is valid for as long as you own the software.....happy days.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast