Thread: Shooting Wedding in 6 wks, Recommend Great Lens to use, pls

Site Rules Breach - Permanent Ban
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by virgal_tracy View Post
    In terms of lenses I agree with the prime option of 50mm and possibly 85mm also. Not knowing what type of photogrpahy you are really into I would also suggest the sigma 10-20 especially if you plan on doing some sightseeing while you are in NT.

Have a great time.
    Thanks Virgal tracy, l'll might pick up the canon 50mm f1.8 II lens, being very cheap and very sharp lens would be great
    l have the tokina 12-24mm Lens and landscape shots are great, but when using as a walk-around lens with people moving around, l seem to get blurry shots? can't be the lens, right? must be me!?

Quote Originally Posted by kiwi View Post
    Do they have an official photographer - makes a big difference

If they do, dont waste money on new lenses you dont actually possibly need

If they don't, and youre not getting paid (and I think that you shouldnt charge anyway if this is new to you) then I still wouldnt waste mney on lenses you dont possibly need
    l know what your saying don't go out spending a fortune and getting no monetary funds in return. not sure if there got a pro tog attending, either way, just Happy to help out and have Fun

Quote Originally Posted by james derek View Post
    I did a wedding with a D40 and 18-200. The people loved the shots. I did another wedding with a d300 , 1:4 prime lens's and a 70 - 200 2:8 VR. ...... Get the best gear you can lay your hands on and be very well prepared for ANYTHING!!
    Thanks James Derek, the 70-200 2.8 would be nice, but can't afford it right now but would be good to have .. one day! do you use 2 bodies? or one body and change the lenses? also was the 18-200 good for in the church, or just not fast enough?

Cheers Guys
    Robert

Ausphotography Site Sponsor/Advertiser DAdeGroot's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As someone else mentioned, really look at hiring some lenses. It'll cost your around $140 per lens for a week's hire, but given you can hire fast primes or even relatively fast zooms, it's the way to go.

I've used http://www.rentalens.com.au/ before and am extremely happy with their service, prices and condition of their equipment.

For a wedding, I find the 70-200/2.8L IS is extremely handy on one of the cameras, and a fast prime on the other. The zoom gives you that added flexibility for those times when you spot something and haven't got time to run over closer with a prime, whereas the prime will give you shutter speed in low light.

Biggest tip of all - do not point your flash directly at your subject (if you're intending to use flash). They are not deer-in-the-headlights, and shouldn't be made to look like them ;-)
    Dave

http://www.degrootphotography.com.au/
    Canon EOS 1D MkIV | Canon EOS 5D MkII | Canon EOS 30D | Canon EF 400mm f/5.6L USM | Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM | Canon EF 17-40mm f/4L USM | Canon EF 85mm f/1.2L II USM | Canon EF 35mm f/1.4L USM | Canon TS-E 17mm f/4L & some non-L lenses.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by PerfectPicture View Post

can l ask Please why l see both of these (above) .. l'm not stepping on anybody's toes, it's my Cousins Wedding l'm shooting and NOT even as the offical photogrpher. In fact she doesnt even know that l'm into photography as l'm am ... so anything produced .. would be a BONUS for her and Husband and Families attending as well
    Mate, if you wanna shoot a wedding, professionally or otherwise, and the parties know about you, your experience etc. -- good on ya, go for it etc. None of anyone's business.

However, I am sure you've read countless other threads where people have sought advice on wedding photography and have been met with almost hostile repsonses that suggest the OP has no right to do it without X degrees / certificate and Y years of experience and Z $$$$$ of pro equipment.

I was just waiting for the torrents to begin
    Canon 7D : Canon EF 70-200mm f:2.8 L IS II USM - Canon EF 24-105 f:4 L IS USM - Canon EF 50mm f:1.8 - Canon EF-s 18-55mm f:3.5-5.6
    Sigma APO 150-500mm f:5-6.3 DG OS HSM
    - Sigma 10-20mm f:3.5 EX DC HSM
    Speedlite 580 EX II - Nissin Di866 II - Yongnuo 460-II x2 - Kenko extension tube set - Canon Extender EF 1.4x II
    Manfroto monopod - SILK 700DX Pro tripod - Remote release - Cokin Z-Pro filter box + Various filters

Current Social Experiment: CAPRIL - Wearing a cape for the month of April to support Beyond Blue
    Visit me on Flickr

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Robert,
    You can rent a Canon EF 85mm f/1.2L II for $150/week

As for places in Darwin. Bicentennial Park, Darwin Botanical Gardens, East point reserve (sunset), Mindal beach (sunset) Government House.
    Kakadu and Litchfield are too far way for a weeding day. Where is the wedding/reception going to be held, so I can narrow down your choices?
    Jase

Comments and critique always welcome.

Flickr

Stuff Canon 5D MK II, Canon 30d, Canon 24-105L, Canon 100mm Macro, Canon 50mm f/1.8, Sigma 17-70mm

Site Rules Breach - Permanent Ban james derek's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks James Derek, the 70-200 2.8 would be nice, but can't afford it right now but would be good to have .. one day! do you use 2 bodies? or one body and change the lenses? also was the 18-200 good for in the church, or just not fast enough?

Hi Robert
    Using two bodies is almost a must. The 18 - 200 not really good enough for church photos. I had the 18-200 on one body and 24-70 and 70-200 on the d300, sigma 10-20 for groups. I use the 24-70 most of the time but the 70-200 is the most fun lens. I don't see on your flicker any people shots. Do you have any to show?
    If you can get a 50 1:8 go for it. As for simple advice, get the sharpest photos you can and 'get in close'. You say it's for your cousin as a 'gift' , then use this as a great experience.
    Jim

Site Rules Breach - Permanent Ban james derek's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just looking at your original post. I would probably go for the 17-50 . 2:8 This is a very versatile lens.
    Jim

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi! If you are thinking of the Tamron 17-50 can I suggest that you save some money and get the non VC version. It is supposed to be sharper than the VC version (I'm very happy with mine), and it will take nice pictures. I'd also suggest something longer for candid shots - a zoom telephoto, say 70-200mm.
    pod3009
    Canon 50D, Canon 40D, Canon EF-S 17-85, Canon 70-200 f4 IS USM, Canon EF-S 10-22, Tamron 90 mm f2.8, Sigma 150-500mm, Speedlite 430EXII

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ^^^^ The OP was shooting the wedding around late Aug 2010.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Did we see the result ?
    Darren
    Gear : Nikon Goodness
    Please support Precious Hearts
    Constructive Critique of my images always appreciated

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12