Today I had my first real play with my new 50D. I starte with a 400D and kits lenses about 2 yrs ago, moved to some better glass - a Tamron 17-50 & 70-200L f/4 USM and on Thursday picked up my 50D.

The 50D has exceeded my expectation and I thought it may be of some interest to others considering an upgrade. To be honest, I really did under-estimate the difference I was to experience.

Initial observations after todays first play with the new fella:

1. The 50D appears for what ever reason to let in more light - I assume mostly sensor related. I first noticed this when I bolted on the 70-200L f/4 and it was obvious the lens perfromed better in the lower light.

2. The quality of ISO levels are outstanding - I did see some comments around noise and ISO when I fist looked at reviews, man, this things is leagues ahead of what I am used too.

3. It is obvious the 50D is more weighty than my 400D (durr) and you notice it after a while but I believe this aids to steady my hand as it did appear I suffered less camera shack at low shutter speeds with the 70-200L. Possible I was more consious of this due to the weight but did seem to be a factor. I actually really like the robust weighty feel of the 50D.

5. One spec that I completely over looked was the shutter speed, I have been pretty used to maxing out at 1/4000. Today playing with the ISO outside (Cloudy to fine) I suddenly noticed the shutter was at 1/5000 (max shutter is 1/8000)

6. High continuous shooting - man this took some getting used too. It is pretty easy to rattle away 10 frames. A lot of my photos are horses in action so I can see this will be a real asset. I have seen it demo-ed but when you have your finger on the trigger and blat away it is a new experience, luv it.

7. IQ is without a doubt a shed load better - even my wife went Wow, look at that.

So, hereI am, a babe in the woods again with a complex piece of photo equipment in my hands. This is another level of photography for me and I am glad I spent the time with the 400D with kit lens, it has given me a greater appreciation of the settings etc.

Ok, enough blurb - below are a couple of shots from my play time today. Now, I was not looking at keepers for these shots but more about how the camera performed for me as I am now nothing more than a beginner again. All Handheld:

104 mm,1/60, f/5, ISO 100

176mm, 1/3200, f/5, ISO 320

200mm, 1/1250, f/8, ISO 320

Cheers,

Mike