Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  0

Thread: Travel Laptop /w Mac osX

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question Travel Laptop /w Mac osX

Hi,

I am going to travel very soon and looking for a small portable laptop to carry with me.

I would not like to spend more than $500 as i only need it for the travel a bit of photo editing and putting online etc on the way.

I get a bit confused with all these different models out there.

I looked at:

• asus eee pc
    • samsung nc10
    • Acer Aspire One
    • 10" MSI wind Netbook

One of the main points i would like to ask you guys is, if any of you ever bought one of these and installed MAC OSX on it. I do not like windows at all anymore and would really like a mac os, but i know that there can be some compatibility problems with drivers/hardware etc....

Any experience with that...?

Apart from that, with what have you travelled and what are the pros and cons of your travel machine ?

Are the screens all the same or is there one with a significant better screen for photo editing?

Cheers,

Mirc
    Constructive criticism is most welcome!!!

Canon 40D, 100-300 5.6 L
    Sigma 17-70
    Manfrotto Tripod

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    MAC OSX is generally for Mac hardware only, however a quick google search shows it is possible to install Mac OSx onto PC hardware but it needs to be compatible. The other thing google showed is that you could use a virtualised environment (eg. VMWare / VirtualBox etc) to run a MAC OSX image on windows.

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi,

thanks for the answer.

It is possible, yes, but most of the solutions are really complicated and half of the laptop features do not work anymore.
    Thats why I asked if somebody actually did it and has some experience with it.

i did buy a Acer aspire one from ebay for $230. I think that was quite cheap....not sure if i should try to install mac on it and risk that nothing is working anymore...

Another question.....Is Windows 7 much better than Windows XP. Does it need much more memory? I dont now much about windows, only heard that vista is reall really bad....

Just thinking about if it would be worth puting windows 7 on the acer one, 1GB, 1.6Ghz laptop.....

Cheers,

Mirc

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I bought an Asus eepc 1005 to tour the UK in July, it was running a lite version Windows 7 and came able to dual boot to a Linux OS (never used that option)
    It was really good, I used Ifanview for quick editing for my blog and dhmped the camera card off go it each night also backed up to 500gb USB drive.
    Definatley money well spent
    My Goal in life is to be as good a person as my dog thinks I am