I have a 350d and the twin kits which I've been using for a few years now. I purchased the 50mm f1.8 which I rarely use as I never seem to be able to get things in focus. I do quite well with the 18-55kit but I find quite slow to focus, impossible in low light and soft images but I make do given my limited gear and budget and I've achieved some really nice results given it's considered trash .

I recently purchased an external flash. I use my SLR mostly for indoor shots of children/babies and portraits so now I'd like to buy a new cheap lens that will be a step up from the kit.

A friend once recommended the 24-85mm I think. I cant seem to see them anywhere online for sale. I have been keeping an eye on ebay and notice they go for around $200 when they come up. Is it reasonably safe to buy a second hand lens? Is there anything I need to look out for to make sure it fits my camera? I really have no experience buying lenses so appreciate some advice. I was hoping to pick up one from overseas or a grey import but cant find much.

Would anyone recommend an alternative lens which is good value for money (ie low budget). Any other advice?

edit .. omg I'm sorry, I'm new here and see I've poseted this in the wrong area. Can a mod please move it? So sorry.