User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  0

Thread: New camera for beginner

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

New camera for beginner

Hi guys, just love your site am getting new camera pls advice what would be good for beginner up to about $600. thanks.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can't suggest a camera in particular, but you have options of either:
    1. cheap second hand old DSLR (For up to $600 you probably won't be able to afford a DSLR, unless you find an older, second hand one for cheap.)
    2. Point & Shoot (Typical compact Digital Camera)
    3. Hybrid (Don't know if that's what they're called) but its kind of in between, they have similar functions to a DSLR (You can change speed, aperture, ISO etc) but are still in reality a point & shoot. I used a Fuji S5600 for a while before before getting my DSLR. It was still fun to use and gets you in to how a camera works, instead of jumping in the deep end with a DSLR if you have no idea what you're doing.
    Pentax K20D - Sigma 10-20mmf3.5 - Sigma 18-55mm & 50 - 200mm kits - Pentax A Series 50mm f1.7 - Hoya CPL Filter & Hoya ND8 Filter & Dodgy tripod that does the trick for now!
    CC of my photo's is welcome!
    http://www.wix.com/gavandheather/Web-page

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    If you want to get into photography seriously, keep saving. When you get to about 1000-1200, there are some good entry level kits available in DSLR at that price point.
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

It's all about the Light!
    Tech Admin
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    $600 is pushing it for a DSLR

a. Get a good point and shoot (with manual control capabilities) for $300-$400

b. 2nd hand DSLR

c. Pentax K-x http://www.staticice.com.au/cgi-bin/...tax+k-x&spos=3 for around $700 with a 18-125 kit lens (plus memory card and rechargeable batteries)

Check the New to Photography forum equipment guide before purchasing - lots of good advice.
    regards, Kym Gallery Honest & Direct Constructive Critique Appreciated! ©
    Digital & film, Bits of glass covering 10mm to 500mm, and other stuff

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you want to go a bit beyond point and shoot photography I would suggest you to get a second hand DSLR.

I got my Canon 20D luckily for $300 with lens and all I needed to start shooting. I am still very happy with it!
    And to start with you do not need the newest Canon entry level DSLR.
    Constructive criticism is most welcome!!!

Canon 40D, 100-300 5.6 L
    Sigma 17-70
    Manfrotto Tripod

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Deaks View Post
    Hi guys, just love your site am getting new camera pls advice what would be good for beginner up to about $600. thanks.
    You could also check out your friends and relatives who are knowledgeable on cameras. You'd be surprised you had a next of kin who is!
    Get reading on back issues of photography magazines at the library or buy a few current magazines at the newsagent, to get you up to date on the latest trends.
    It is good to walk up in a camera shop with a preference rather than be swayed by that nice looking chap with a necktie...
    Cheers and all the best!
    "The greatest camera in the world is the one you hold in your hands when shit happens." ©2007 Raoul Isidro