Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  1
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Tragedy!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tragedy!

Tragedy has struck tonight. While shooting with my 5D MkII (which I've had for just over a month), the shutter button failed. I felt it go.

AF still occurs when the button is partially depressed, but the shutter does not release when the button is fully depressed. Although I'm certain it's a hardware failure, I removed batteries, re-seated the lens, changed settings etc., but to no avail.

Has anyone had a similar failure? Any idea how long it will take to fix it? We have some family functions coming up in the next couple of weeks and I hope the 5D is fixed and returned by then, but I'm not sure that will happen.

Not a good end to what was already a bad day.

/End Tale of Woe.
    Canon DSLRs & lenses | Fuji X series & lenses | Ricoh GR

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Considering the Queensland Canon repair centre is now closed and camera's have to be sent to NSW for repair, unfortunately me thinks you will be lucky to get in back in two weeks. But I hope you can point out it is only a month old and get some 'priority service'.
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ricktas View Post
    Considering the Queensland Canon repair centre is now closed and camera's have to be sent to NSW for repair, unfortunately me thinks you will be lucky to get in back in two weeks. But I hope you can point out it is only a month old and get some 'priority service'.
    Funny, but it was only on the weekend that I read David's thread about the Qld centre closing down. Drat.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ricktas View Post

Only a month, you should hint very strongly for a swap for new.

Scotty
    Canon 7D : Canon EF 70-200mm f:2.8 L IS II USM - Canon EF 24-105 f:4 L IS USM - Canon EF 50mm f:1.8 - Canon EF-s 18-55mm f:3.5-5.6
    Sigma APO 150-500mm f:5-6.3 DG OS HSM
    - Sigma 10-20mm f:3.5 EX DC HSM
    Speedlite 580 EX II - Nissin Di866 II - Yongnuo 460-II x2 - Kenko extension tube set - Canon Extender EF 1.4x II
    Manfroto monopod - SILK 700DX Pro tripod - Remote release - Cokin Z-Pro filter box + Various filters

Current Social Experiment: CAPRIL - Wearing a cape for the month of April to support Beyond Blue
    Visit me on Flickr

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Scotty72 View Post
    Only a month, you should hint very strongly for a swap for new.

Scotty
    Trust me, I will!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    arrrggghhh one month old. You cant be happy about that.

Ima just gonna run and test my shutter button now...
    Canon 5d MkII
    EF 24-105 f4L IS USM
    EF 100 f2.8 Macro USM
    EF 17-40 f4L USM
    EF 50 f1.8
    Canon 580ex II

Still in the Circle of Confusion Cage's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bumma Jules.

I feel your pain.

Kevin
    Cheers
    Kev

Nikon D810: D600 (Astro Modded): D7200 and 'stuff', lots of 'stuff'

The Commander
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The first I have heard of the Qld service centre closing. That makes sense now, I was in teds yesterday and they commented about just bring the camera back to us and we will look after warranty repair. I am pretty certain it was only about 4 weeks ago they would did not provide that service.
    Please be honest with your Critique of my images. I may not always agree, but I will not be offended - CC assists my learning and is always appreciate

https://mikeathome.smugmug.com/

Canon 5D3 - Gripped, EF 70-200 L IS 2.8 MkII, , 24-105 L 4 IS MkI, 580 EX II Speedlite, 2x 430 Ex II Speedlite

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Harsh.

Have you been in touch with the retailer you bought it from? They have a degree of obligation to resolve the issue as it would be clearly under warranty regardless of what they say about it being canon's problem.
    Regards, Rob

D600, AF-S 35mm f1.8G DX, AF-S 50mm f1.8G, AF-S 24-85mm f3.5-4.5G ED VR, AF-S 70-300mm F4.5-5.6G VR, Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM
    Photos: geeoverbar.smugmug.com Software: CS6, Lightroom 4

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It only just failed tonight Rob, so haven't been in touch with the retailer yet, but will definitely call them tomorrow.

Ausphotography Veteran
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry to hear of your misfortune. It never makes for pleasing reading.

Irrespective of whether Canon has a repair centre in Queensland (which, as Rick said, it no longer does), you'll still be lucky to see it back within a fortnight.

You can either take it back to the retailer or contact Canon HQ in North Ryde (Sydney) and ship it there.

If you bought your camera from a retailer and it is Australian stock, it may be easier to take it back to the retailer, as then you won't need to worry about shipping.

Please keep us posted on how things go.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just keep in mind that the contract for goods is between yourself and the retailer (not Canon). So, lean as heavily as you can on the retailer. I would be at least demanding a loan camera for the duration.

I remember a few years back, mug me buys a laptop from a well known electronics retailer. Two weeks later, internal speakers die.

Retailer estimates 4-6 weeks repair time. Well, I, after trying to be reasonable, made an a**e of myself; trying to scare off customers until they agreed that they in fact had obligations as the retailer.

Within 2 days, I had a brand new replacement. They needed the 2 days to sent it back to HP to assess the problem (ie, I hadn't taken it into the shower).

5D IIs aren't a cheap item and you would have a very reasonable case to argue that the $3000+ you paid for it entitles you to more than 4 weeks trouble free service.

Good luck!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    it took nearly 2 months to get my camera back from repairs.

the hold up - the insurance company. They took their sweet time! I was furious with them cause they never gave me any updates with what was going on with the claim.

if you are happy to pay it out yourself then you are looking at about 2 weeks. If it is new though it should be covered under warranty.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would be going to the retailer and pushing for a replacement, insistently and vigorously. Good luck Jules ..
    Hi Im Darren

www.darrengrayphotography.com

SONY A850 (FF)] + GRIP | SONY A350 (APS-C) + GRIP | SONY NEX-5 +16 2.8 + 18-55 E-MOUNT LENSES | CZ 85 1.4 | 50 1.4 | 28-75 2.8 | 70-200 2.8 | 2 x 42AMs | 24" imac | LR | CS4 | + loads of other junk

dieselpower
    Good luck Jules. As others have said, the retailer track might be a good option - you may get a straight out swap over.

Account Closed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bigdazzler View Post
    I would be going to the retailer and pushing for a replacement, insistently and vigorously. Good luck Jules ..
    Indeed, if the camera is faulty they have to comply with YOUR choice of... Refund, Repair or Replace.

Good luck with your replacement

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree, put loads and loads of pressure on the retailer.... as a licensed dealer they have an obligation to the customer..... just as the manufacturer has an obligation to them!
    Living the dream...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lets hope we hear a good outcome....Go Jules. Give it to them.
    Thanks for looking....Cheers,
    Julie-Anne / Julie / Jules / Julesy / JAS

MY ..... MY BLOG..... Feel free to look.
    Canon 40D / 24-105mm L IS / 70-200mm L IS / 75-300mm / 50mm 1.8 / Sigma 10-20mm / Manfrotto tripod / Bits and pieces to fill the bag.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fantasyphoto View Post
    Indeed, if the camera is faulty they have to comply with YOUR choice of... Refund, Repair or Replace.
    Im no retail expert but doesnt the store have the right to go through the process .. repair, replace, refund ... in that order ?? I recall someone telling me that once, but they can also exercise discretion and do any one of those off the bat as well.

Account Closed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bigdazzler View Post
    Im no retail expert but doesnt the store have the right to go through the process .. repair, replace, refund ... in that order ?? I recall someone telling me that once, but they can also exercise discretion and do any one of those off the bat as well.
    Nope, it is consumers choice provided the goods are proven faulty.

Retailers will often try and bluff their way thru a repair as that way they are passing the problem onto the distributor.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast