Thread: inbuilt flash on D90 will not lock down : SOLUTION

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Must see if this is similar to the mechanism on my D70S

Thanks

dieselpower
    CabanSail - almost without doubt! Most Nikon DSLRs with onboard flashes use the same (or similar) setup. I originally was tipped off that something like this may work based on something I read about a D70, so the odds are good!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had this problem and found the solution on Dieselpower`s blog, thanks dieselpower!, on the same blog there was a link to this community so here I am, just registered!

I had my D90 flash wrecked in a trip to the Grand Canyon (AR, USA) and for a full year just used 1" of ductape to keep it in place, Nikon service here in Chile charged me US$ 240 for taking a look at it plus any spare parts, no way!!!

I tried the Allen key first and fixed it, but as I ended with a small gap that would sure cause the flash to open when getting the camera into the bag I became ambitious and gave it a second chance...bad call, could not make it work again so I had to try the second choice: opening the flash, my comments:

- When you turn the Allen key it doesen´t matter if you do more than one turn, it will not brake as it only moves the catch (its a cylinder) without screwing or unscrewing, one turn will leave you just were you started.
    - As said before, DONT touch the cables inside, they give a very trong shock (personal experience )
    - Removing the catch and knowing what to do is very easy once you see it, no problem at all
    - The catch is a cylinder with the top side (where the plastic clip rest and holds the flash closed) cutted in an incline, thus turning it will give you more or less clearance for the clip to click in place.
    - Cutting will make the thinner side even thinner for the clip to click in place.

Hope it helps, it realy helped my camera and my finances

regards

dieselpower
    Glad it pointed you in the right direction Patagonia - and welcome!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just bought a D90 as a backup camera;
    So far no problems but its good to know it can be fixed.
    Thanks Dieselpower.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I believe that there is a small pin attached with a spring which is inside the top flash cover has lost its position. Probably due to a hit to the top flash unit.

It is better to send it to Nikon repair and they will fix it for you. Trying to fix this on your own will be dangerous due to high voltage connected to the top flash unit.

dieselpower
    Quote Originally Posted by Green View Post
    I believe that there is a small pin attached with a spring which is inside the top flash cover has lost its position. Probably due to a hit to the top flash unit.

It is better to send it to Nikon repair and they will fix it for you. Trying to fix this on your own will be dangerous due to high voltage connected to the top flash unit.
    You may be right, however I fail to see how this adjustment without opening the flash casing could be dangerous. By the feedback on my blog, the lug which you turn is plastic so non-conductive. I've also had reports there that the Nikon agents charge $180 for this to be fixed (granted, probably an overseas currency). Of 3500+ hits on this article on my blog, only 43 people have commented. Of the people that have commented, several have taken the flash apart to fix (and a few of them have trimmed the lug with a knife). Not one report of anyone getting a zap from the readers on my blog. The only person I know of who got a zap from the flash was "patagonia" in this thread!

As Patagonia said - the catch is a tapered cylinder to allow for adjustment, no springs/clips in the pop up head. There is in the pin protruding from the camera body I expect, but I wouldn't go pulling that to bits!

If you're facing the prospect of opening it, then sure - send to Nikon, but give it a go with the allen key first. It'll save you heaps of coin and by all accounts is safe.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dieselpower View Post
    You may be right, however I fail to see how this adjustment without opening the flash casing could be dangerous. By the feedback on my blog, the lug which you turn is plastic so non-conductive. I've also had reports there that the Nikon agents charge $180 for this to be fixed (granted, probably an overseas currency). Of 3500+ hits on this article on my blog, only 43 people have commented. Of the people that have commented, several have taken the flash apart to fix (and a few of them have trimmed the lug with a knife). Not one report of anyone getting a zap from the readers on my blog. The only person I know of who got a zap from the flash was "patagonia" in this thread!

As Patagonia said - the catch is a tapered cylinder to allow for adjustment, no springs/clips in the pop up head. There is in the pin protruding from the camera body I expect, but I wouldn't go pulling that to bits!

If you're facing the prospect of opening it, then sure - send to Nikon, but give it a go with the allen key first. It'll save you heaps of coin and by all accounts is safe.
    I have had opened several DSLR Cameras and all of them seems to have nearly the same design for flash unit.

The reason some people don't get zapped sometimes, because the flash unit was originally not working so capacitor is not charging. Therefore, they won't get zapped.

Furthermore, I believe that there are two things need to be repaired in order to fix this issue.

1- you have to open the whole top unit so you can see that the inside key (cylindrical key) is not positioned properly, it will seem it has received a push and lost its position. So what you do in this case, you just push this key back into its position.

2- secondly, you open the flash coverand on the side you will see the key that you just pushed in and next to it there is a small spring that has lost its position too. So what you do is, raise the small spring and put it on the top of the key. And FIXED.

However, when you open the flash cover ( usually screwed with two screws right under the flash light) you will see two wires one on the right side and the other on the left, these wires are dangerous to touch as the capacitor may be charged, so becarsefull. But anyway getting zapped is not a big deal, it might be strong but human body can take it and won't cause troubles unless you have heart problems.

Anyway, I am just giving some knowledge of how can this be fixed and what you may see inside.

As i said, i have not opened D90 before, but based on other DSLR Cameras they all come with nearly the same design.

Regards
    Last edited by Green; 31-10-2011 at 1:25am.

Moderately Underexposed
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Green, I think that you are missing the point of this thread entirely.

The thread is about the inbuilt flash on one particular model (D90) failing to lock into a closed position when manually lowered.
    It isn't about the flash failing to work.

It seems to be a reasonably common problem with the D90. Similar problems have been encountered on other Nikon models.
    The problem appears to be that the closing lock was not optimally adjusted at the time of manufacture or has moved out of adjustment during normal usage.
    The "cure" is a non invasive adjustment procedure by means of a screw that is accessed purely by having the flash in the open position.
    That screw is purposely put there to allow for easy latch adjustment without having to perform any internal work on the unit.

Rather obviously if the camera body has suffered damage from impact and the operation of the flash latch is compromised to the point of needing disassembly and parts replacement then a trip to the camera doctors may be in order but the details here are presented purely as a first step adjustment method to rule out further work. There have been plenty of people that have satisfactorily performed this step and saved themselves time and money and avoided any internal probings.
    Andrew
    Nikon, Fuji, Nikkor, Sigma, Tamron, Tokina and too many other bits and pieces to list.

dieselpower
    Quote Originally Posted by I @ M View Post
    The thread is about the inbuilt flash on one particular model (D90) failing to lock into a closed position when manually lowered.
    It isn't about the flash failing to work.
    I believe it applies to several other models too - but that may be beside the point.
    I recently came across a D50 service manual and the process I describe is clearly labelled as 'adjusting dial'. Now it does appear as though in the d50 there's a spring that holds the dial in position - but as I@M said, if no damage has been sustained and it just 'stops working', this is a good first step for troubleshooting. If it fixes it then it's potentially saved a few hundred bucks. If it doesn't fix it then there's no real need to disassemble, just send it back to Nikon!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12