Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  3
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Teleconverters

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Kenko 1.4 Pro DG works great on the 70-200, I have that combo

Not much point showing pics here as the iq on a posted photo will not show you anything
    Darren
    Gear : Nikon Goodness
    Please support Precious Hearts
    Constructive Critique of my images always appreciated

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @kiwi, thanks and I agree. I've also read lots of good reviews with the 1.4x but i think the the extra range it gives is too small. I'm actually leaning towards a 1.7x or 2x.
    Nikon User
    Nikon D300
    Walk-around lens:Nikkor 70-200 f/2.8 AF-S G VR1; Nikkor 24-70 f/2.8 AF-S G
    Macro (the lazy type): Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 (kitlens); reverse ring adaptor
    Strobing: SB900; Flashwave trigger III, generic gorilla pod

FLICKR http://www.flickr.com/photos/joeyvaldezjr/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    what are you going to use it for (in general) ?

Adding 40% is quite a lot really (a 1.4 TC) esp if you have a crop camera as well

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    planning to use it's birds. And by the way, it is possible to shoot macro-like shots with a tc?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Irrespective of whether you can tell and mainly because I love posting this shot (D90 + Kenko Pro 300 DG + 70-200 2.8 VRII at f4):

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by joeyvaldezjr View Post
    planning to use it's birds. And by the way, it is possible to shoot macro-like shots with a tc?
    If you want birds you want maximum length

I think the 2x TC is the go

No, will not really help with macros.

Kenko Extension tubes will though.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wouldn't extension tubes and a TC for the purposes of macro kind of have opposite effects? i.e. tubes would allow you a closer focussing distance (and thus increase magnification) while a TC would allow you a greater focussing distance whilst retaining the same magnification? If that even makes sense?

I'll have to give it a go with the TC and see what happens.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    All a TC does is change the effective focal length and minimum apperture - Ill have to think about whether it effects the minimum focus distance ? hmmmmm ?

The extension tubes allow you to focus closer, they do not magnify the image per se

In combination they would work too...hmmmm....depending on the answer to point #1

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kiwi View Post
    The extension tubes allow you to focus closer, they do not magnify the image per se
    It wasn't so much the focusing distances that I was getting at, it was more the effect.

With tubes you can get a larger image onto your sensor by moving in closer (?)

Leaving aside the issue of focusing distance with the TC am I right in (assuming) that from the same physical distance (i.e. between tog and subject) you would get a larger image size on your sensor, and then by extension, you can stand further away from your subject whilst getting the same image size on your sensor than without the TC?

Basically was just wondering whether I should bother with trying the TC on the macro lens - the one time that I thought it might come in useful is having the ability to not have to get so close to a dangerous subject like a wasp or spider, yet get an equivalent image size than without the TC.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, Ive seen it used that way for that reason

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    All teleconverters degrade image quality somewhat... as well as dropping your aperture. Given that in most circumstances you'll get as good results simply by cropping a wider image.
    So why does the TC degrade IQ and does it depend on the lens how much it degrades it?
    How come it has an affect on the aperture as well and is that lens dependent?

Would it be possible to mount a TC on a normal zoom lens as the 28-105 for instance?

Cheers,

Mirc
    Constructive criticism is most welcome!!!

Canon 40D, 100-300 5.6 L
    Sigma 17-70
    Manfrotto Tripod

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So why does the TC degrade IQ and does it depend on the lens how much it degrades it?

>> because you are putting an additional few layers of glass between the lens and camera, so, like any filter, some degradation depending on the optical quality of the glass and TC is inevitable. The only question is by how much.

How come it has an affect on the aperture as well and is that lens dependent?

>> Because each layer of glass takes light...it's not lens dependent is TC dependent, eg 1.4 TC takes one stop, 2x TX takes two stops etc

Would it be possible to mount a TC on a normal zoom lens as the 28-105 for instance?

>> Sometimes - refer to chart as above although unless your lens is f/4 or faster typically dont bother

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kiwi View Post
    right, not familiar with a 1.5TC

There is a Nikon chart that shows all the compatibility

http://blog.nikonians.org/archives/N...er%20Table.pdf
    Kenko has just discontinued both versions 1.5x teleconverters.
    If you can find one (not SHQ), the good one the MC DG has more than doubled in price.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by maccaroneski View Post
    Wouldn't extension tubes and a TC for the purposes of macro kind of have opposite effects? i.e. tubes would allow you a closer focussing distance (and thus increase magnification) while a TC would allow you a greater focussing distance whilst retaining the same magnification? If that even makes sense?

I'll have to give it a go with the TC and see what happens.
    Adding a TC will increase the replication ratio by the equivalent amount, 2x TC = 2x magnification, the mfd will not change.

Quote Originally Posted by Mircula View Post

Cheers,
    Mirc
    Depends on which TC you use. The Canon ones will not work on such a lens, they are only compatible with Canon primes in excess of 135mm, or zooms from 70-200mm on. It will mount but you will lose the ability to AF and read aperture.

For the 28-105 lens, Kenko Pro DG TCs will work and report aperture, however that lens is not optimised for speed and the resulting aperture may be too slow for your given body to AF.
    Canon User

A. P's Culinary Indiscriminant
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Joey,
    Look in “Nikon” and in “lenses” on this forum and see Sar Nop’s thread dealing with 600mm lens plus many different converters (including Kenko and Nikon) and also his thread on 70-200VR with 20EIII converter
    Nikon and Pentax user

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks mongo! I'll try and search for that

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    WOW, disappear to buy a nice Nikkor lens and come back to find some real handy replies to my question...excellent and thanks. Sure looks like the TC 20III could be worth pursuing for my new 70-200.

Was informed by a couple of salespeople that Kenko won't work with the Nikkor lens but not entirely sure there wasn't some confusion with terminology around extension tubes and teleconverters.

Think the TC 20 III will be added to the wish-list.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BUGSnBIRDS View Post

Was informed by a couple of salespeople that Kenko won't work with the Nikkor lens but not entirely sure there wasn't some confusion with terminology around extension tubes and teleconverters.

Think the TC 20 III will be added to the wish-list.
    No problem at all with my Kenko and 70-200. At $189, i thought I would pick it up and keep the TC20III on the wishlist too

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just got my 2X canon one this week - going to test it out on long landscapes tripod mounted today on some waterfalls. will let you know how it goes
    Call me Dylan! www.everlookphotography.com | www.everlookphotography.wordpress.com | www.flickr.com/photos/dmtoh
    Canon EOS R5, : 16-35mm F4 L, 70-200F4 canon L, 24-70mm 2.8IIcanon L, Sirui tripod + K20D ballhead + RRS ballhead. |Sony A7r2 + Laowa 12mm F2.8, Nisi 15mm F4
    Various NiSi systems : Currently using switch filter and predominantly 6 stop ND, 10 stop ND, 3 stop medium GND
    Post : Adobe lightroom classic CC : Photoshop CC. Various actions for processing and web export

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12