Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Sony NEX Series Cameras ??

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    mmmm .... I didnt really consider that AK. I havent used LV for a long time, as the A850 dont have it.

Ah well .... guess Ill be getting one of these too then
    Hi Im Darren

www.darrengrayphotography.com

SONY A850 (FF)] + GRIP | SONY A350 (APS-C) + GRIP | SONY NEX-5 +16 2.8 + 18-55 E-MOUNT LENSES | CZ 85 1.4 | 50 1.4 | 28-75 2.8 | 70-200 2.8 | 2 x 42AMs | 24" imac | LR | CS4 | + loads of other junk

A royal pain in the bum! arthurking83's Avatar
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah I was going to ask about whether you got that little device.

Problem with it is, great for getting the frame almost right, as parallax error will be present(as with al non TTL(through the lens) cameras are.

I shot a roll of film with my little Rollei a few months back and it has a separate vf window like a rangefinder, except that it doesn't focus as an RF camera does.

trying to use filters with that camera was fraught with much uncertainty and ultimately a lack of real success.
    If I taken any shots of the filter I'd used on that little Rollei it have you rolling around in laughter.

Teeny little 30mm lens with me holding a 77mm CPL over it!

With the 16mm lens, that's where you start to see that weird v-shaped blue sky effect with a CPL in some situations, but you probably won't see the effect via live view. It's hard(but not impossible) to judge with a good optical vf, and then you see it in the review screen and think to yerself ... oh! it didn't look that bad when I composed it!

49mm polarisers should be all that expensive anyhow, and definitely get one as they do more than just create blue skies.
    Nikon D800E, D300, D70s
    {Nikon}; -> 50/1.2 : 500/8 : 105/2.8VR Micro : 180/2.8 ais : 105mm f/1.8 ais : 24mm/2 ais
    {Sigma}; ->10-20/4-5.6 : 50/1.4 : 12-24/4.5-5.6II : 150-600mm|S
    {Tamron}; -> 17-50/2.8 : 28-75/2.8 : 70-200/2.8 : 300/2.8 SP MF : 24-70/2.8VC

{Yongnuo}; -> YN35/2N : YN50/1.8N

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yea .. the HOYAs are about $40 on eBay .. so not much to lose really.

After all whats another 40 bucks right ...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm kind of intrigued by these models - would be cool to have a compact camera to wander around with instead of an slr. The images produced by these dont seem bad at all. The menu system seems to get a lot of criticism in reviews (too many button presses to do basic things).

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I read those things about the menus too bort but I actually find the camera quite intuitive.

There is a main menu button, which will bring up 6 submenus. The entire camera can then be controlled from these submenus using the control dial.

WB and ISO are controlled from one submenu (Brightness/Colour), and Shooting modes (AUTO, P,A,S,M) from another (Shoot Mode).

After only one day playing with the camera I find myself hitting the buttons intuitively, and controlling it pretty easily.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thats good to hear bigdazzler, thanks - I'm looking forward to seeing some pics from it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The lure was too much for me - I've joined the NEX club

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bort View Post
    There you go

A royal pain in the bum! arthurking83's Avatar
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bort View Post

sounds like you and Daz have been "assimilated"!

Those damned Borg and their assimilation tactics!.. and all this futile irresistiblity.

Although! ... bort the Borg has a nice ring to it.

how do I find the necessary moola to assimilate myself too, I wonder

Another thing I'm curious to see work is that panorama feature these things have.
    Apparently these things have a sweep panorama mode where you press the shutter and do a sweep motion, to capture panorama images.
    I think it works on the HD video doodad/thingy!?? .. so it may not be uber high 14Mp resolution. And now I read that it also does a 3D pano sweep thing too.. where you can see the resultant pano in 3D on a Sony screen?

anyhow... all this stuff make me think how easy it's all becoming.

ps. there's a new firmware for the 3D pano sweeping thing.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Spot on AK... Pano sweep does exist and it works bloody well !!

It takes a little getting used to though. You need to pan at a very consistent speed cause if you slow down midway through the motion you will end up with a plain grey section at the end of the stitch

I've only done one or two of these so far playing around in my office at work and on the LCD at least the stitching looks undetectable

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Daz

How good an image do you get in the pano stitch mode.

Our P&S is an Olympus u8000 & it stitches pano's by taking the 1st shot & then sowing on screen guides to take the 2nd (&3rd if you want) which I thought was great when I first used it, but the resultant finished image is only about 500k and the original images aren't kept, so its pretty low res

John R

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by arthurking83 View Post

sounds like you and Daz have been "assimilated"!
    I would have assimilated ages ago if I thought it would be this much fun!

Even the shots I took last night looked ok (for non flash, ISO 1600 pics). Might have a wander at lunch time today at work and try some daylight stuff.

I blame Daz for it all (good on ya Daz!)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I went and tried a few panoramas at lunchtime, they look pretty good to me, had a look at 100%, I cant see the join (it was a cityscape)

The jpg created is 8192 by 1856 res (6.28 MB) - the individual images arent available

I can link to a pic later if you like (cant seem to upload to Picasa or Flickr from work)

(no, I wont link the full res pic....)

Hope you dont mind me butting in with an answer to a question for you, Daz...
    Last edited by bort; 13-07-2010 at 3:33pm.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    nah mate .... youre good

I did one this morning in my living room too to see what the res would be. It was exactly the same as yours. Bit of a bummer that you cant shoot pano in portrait mode though ...

The joins look seamless to me as well. I reckon im gonna like this feature when travelling.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bigdazzler View Post
    Bit of a bummer that you cant shoot pano in portrait mode though ...
    Well, you can turn the camera and shoot it top to bottom....

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    nah I meant holding the camera in portrait mode and sweeping left to right ..... the camera wont allow that.

Thats the best way to shoot panos, cause if you have to crop post distortion correction or lens correction or something it gives you a bit more room to chop off top and bottom.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OK

you two guys have just about convinced me, but I've just ordered a Tokina AF 11-16mm f/2.8 AT-X Lens, so perhaps I better wait a couple of months.

Still the panorama sounds good.

The first time I tried using it on the Olympus was on the routeburn track in Unzud - it looked pretty good & I thought I'd get a print, but when we got back to Queenstown and downloaded to the laptop its only about 250k in size.

http://i215.photobucket.com/albums/c...Picture118.jpg

We're doing the Overland track after Christmas and I'd like to have the Nex by then.

From what I've seen on the net, the only difference between the 3 and the 5 is the case material and the quality of video. Do you think its worth the extra for the 5?

John R

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, it would be cooler if it could do that. I wouldnt have thought it would be any harder for the processor to handle that.

Its all pretty new to me - I've never done a panorama before. I could get hooked on them.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Boo53 View Post
    From what I've seen on the net, the only difference between the 3 and the 5 is the case material and the quality of video. Do you think its worth the extra for the 5?
    I believe thats right. I never actually tried the 3 in the store. Didnt seem to be a big difference in price, so I decided on the 5 right away. A few reviews have mentioned the grip on the 5 is much better.

Video wasnt really the deciding factor for me either, just the build quality.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Boo53 View Post
    Do you think its worth the extra for the 5?
    I didnt actually hold the 3 mate, the store I was in didnt have any in stock.

The body is plastic though, whereas the 5 is magnesium alloy and its slightly smaller in size.

The only other difference is the HD video and you have the ability to shoot with a remote commander.

You can compare specs here

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast