The learning plan is designed to help members acquire the fundamentals of photography in a sensibly structured manner, one key element at a time.
This approach avoids information overload.
The learning plan is also very practical in that it asks those participating to post images and get feedback
(constructive critique a.k.a CC) whereby they can quickly improve their skills.
1. We start with the camera in full auto (with fixed ISO
sensitivity of 100 or 200, and JPEG
mode) while learning to hold the camera and compose shots
2. We then progress to Aperture
Priority (with fixed ISO
) while learning Depth of Field
3. We add Shutter
Priority to the skills (with fixed ISO
) while learning movement control
4. Once the above are understood we process to changing ISO
(100 thru 1600) using mainly Aperture
Priority while learning about sensitivity and noise
5. The participant is now ready to use full manual control of the Exposure
, Shutter speed
6. We advance to control of white balance using raw
mode instead of JPEG
7. Finally we add other aspects such as flash, stabilisation (tripod
) and other creative options
The above sequence provides a sound base to further explore the joy of photography.