User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  0

Thread: Battery shenanigans

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Battery shenanigans

The batteries I have for the 40D appear to be doing strange things. The in-camera battery indicator, which has been accurate, will show them at one-third power, but when I put them on the charger, it goes to full power in a matter of seconds, instead of the 30 mins or so it usually takes.The battery indicator then shows them at full power when they couldn't possibly have been. They are both Canon batteries and both about the same age. Anyone else had this issue? Cheers
    Sean

Gear: Canon AE-1, EOS 40D & 350D; Sigma 10-20mm f/4-5.6; EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM; EF 85mm f/1.8 USM; EF 100mm f/2.8 USM macro; EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM; 430EX Speedlite; Manfrotto 190XDB with 804RC2 head

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No - but batteries can go "off" & die - very strange it has happened to both at the same time though??

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Russell...Yeah,I guess they've copped a bit of a floggin' in the two years I've had them. Cheers

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Try giving them a full cycle a few times - fully discharge them then leave them on charge for as long as it used to take (or longer) to charge them when they were new. The in camera indicator and the lights on the charger are both guessing at the state of charge and can be fooled if the battery is wearing out. Most batteries of this type are only rated for about 300 cycles, so they won't last forever. One of the reasons I try to use them until they're flat because if you charge one when it's only done a few hours in the camera it's still considered a cycle.

It's all about the Light!
    Tech Admin
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Li-ion batteries have a finite shelf life, plus a limit on cycles
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lithium-ion_battery

If you got more than 2 years - well done!

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks people...I'm guessing they must be near to end of life...then again, it could have something to do with the very cold weather I've been out and about in of late. Cheers