Thread: Shutter speed and water : Example

http://steveaxford.smugmug.com/
    About in the middle between Byron Bay, Ballina and Lismore
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dtoh View Post
    Agreed totally steve - I took the long exposure first then thought otherwise.
    Another example of this is some of the icelandic waterfalls I've shot - I ended up taking some at F2.8 ISO800 or so to get a 1/2000 shutter speed to freeze the motion.
    It's good to try both to see which works best. Also the shutter speed can be important. I sec gives a different result to 6 secs.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    nice tip! great pics too..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very good example , great for newbies like me.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great examples and great photos too Shows that you don't always need a long exposure when capturing flowing water. Really like the detail in the first one.
    Canon 5DmIII | Canon 50mm 1.8 | Canon 17-40mm | Canon 100mm 2.8 Macro | Canon 24-70mm 2.8 |

Flickr

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for showing. It's good to see the difference using the slower shutter speed.

Shore Crawler
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    thanks guys - I hope the challenge went well for everyone this week!
    Call me Dylan! www.everlookphotography.com | www.everlookphotography.wordpress.com | www.flickr.com/photos/dmtoh
    Canon EOS R5, : 16-35mm F4 L, 70-200F4 canon L, 24-70mm 2.8IIcanon L, Sirui tripod + K20D ballhead + RRS ballhead. |Sony A7r2 + Laowa 12mm F2.8, Nisi 15mm F4
    Various NiSi systems : Currently using switch filter and predominantly 6 stop ND, 10 stop ND, 3 stop medium GND
    Post : Adobe lightroom classic CC : Photoshop CC. Various actions for processing and web export

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice piece of handy info for the newbies out there trying to get their head around shutter speeds and freeze and blur motion good job mate
    |Gear|Canon 5D MkII + Grip |Canon 7D + Grip |Canon 580EXII x 3|Canon EF Fisheye 15mm F/2.8 |Canon EF 16-35mm F/2.8L Mk II | |Canon EF 400mm F/5.6L |Canon EF 70-200mm F/2.8L IS |Canon EF 24-105mm F/4 L IS |Canon EF 100mm F/2.8 Macro |Canon EF 50mm F/1.8 MK II |Sekonic L-358 Lightmeter |Manfrotto 055XPROB Tripod + 322RC2 Head |Manfrotto 628B Monopod | Wireless Remote Flash Trigger PT-04 CN & 5 Receivers| Plus Too Much More (Filters Ect)
    Chris | http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=119829358036800 | http://www.flickr.com/photos/chrisprendergast |

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow! what a difference a second makes!! 2 different shots with completely different moods. Thanks for showing us!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm so new to photography, I didn't even know that the settings on your camera could make this kind of a difference! It's good to learn what is possible. It helps me in setting goals for the future, (though this is way down the track for me). I've found this thread very interesting indeed. Thanks for posting it!

Shore Crawler
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    no worries Jan & Simon

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice photos. Alway wonderful to see side by side comparative photos showing techniques.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As a newbie I was so inspired by these photos. It sent me scurrying out to the backyard trying the different settings.
    Thank you so much for this!!
    It gives this newbie a clearer understanding.
    Julie

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice example of shutter speed.

Shore Crawler
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    thanks guys - hope you have similar results in your experimentations

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello,

Thank you so much for the post of your photos. I am very much a newbie and I am trying to take everything in. The photos are beautiful and showing the settings was a great help to me. I was able to see how you can capture the same image but in 2 very different ways.....

Cheers,
    Carrie

Nikon D7000, AF-S Nikkor 35mm 1.8G, AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm 4.5-5.6G, AF-S Nikkor 10-24mm 3.5-4.5G ED , Tokina AT-X Pro Macro 100mm F 2.8 D lens

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "Isn't anyone going to comment that this is one case where slow, milky water is probably a mistake. All the power is gone. Milky water is great for many situations, but not this one. No criticism is intended as this is still a good example of what happens."

I thoroughly agree with this, the image loses it's dramatic impact with the water completely blurred, personally I find silken smooth water to detract aesthetically from many images that would have otherwise been much better. I like things to have texture, texture is an important descriptive aspect of the character of an object. Skin has texture, The ground has texture, so why do people blur the hell out of water?...if the same thing could be done with the ground I'm sure there would be people doing it. I usually stick to the 1 second to 1/8th shutter speeds so there is some motion blur, but the water maintains some of it's texture.

Shore Crawler
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    orthrelos, whether you like one image or the other depends on what you're trying to capture and is subjective.(and that's not what the thread is about)
    On that day I was undecided as to whether I wanted to capture just the raw power, or go for the more surreal looking image that you know is not and cannot be what the eye sees.
    For this kind of very rapid moving water, my experience has been that the 'in between' exposures you're talking about end up looking exactly that - in between with neither reality or artistry depicted (that's my opinion though). Ive found the kind of exposure lengths you're talking about work really well for wave motion, when there are subtle splashes that you try to leave trailing a little.
    There's no one rule fits all and the purpose of this thread was to show the huge difference one variable on a DSLR can make. For completeness sake, I'll put in an image for the exposure length you're talking about :

this one for instance was 0.2 seconds

and this one was 60 seconds

Last edited by Dylan & Marianne; 25-01-2011 at 2:35pm.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thought I'd chuck this one in as well , Was taken hand held @1/15th of a sec , ISO 100 f5.6, No filters , 24-105 f4 L Image stabiliser "ON" , Just to show the difference in water movement
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by William; 25-01-2011 at 5:47pm.
    Canon : 30D, and sometimes the 5D mkIII , Sigma 10-20, 50mm 1.8, Canon 24-105 f4 L , On loan Sigma 120-400 DG and Canon 17 - 40 f4 L , Cokin Filters

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Excellent - thanks for providing this. I kept looking and looking at the photos and I really don't know which one I prefer; they are both wonderful in different ways. I think I will keep coming back to them, it's frustrating me I just can't make up my mnd.

Shore Crawler
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    lol arthur - I think you see much with your third photographic eye but yes, this was meant as an example thread of shutter speed not of artistic interpretation

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast