User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  1
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Who has a 7D and how do you rate it

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think everything has been said,I stepped up from a 450D and the difference is "Chalk and Cheese",the 7D is a huge leap forward.If you feel like meeting up at say Oxley Creek Common one weekend,you can have a play with mine and my 100-400mmL and 24-105mmL,see how they feel on the camera.
    Kev.
    C+C and Edits Welcome,just tell me what you did.
    Canon 50D,EF-S17-85mm,EF100mm F2.8 Macro,MT-24EX Flash.
    Sigma 150-500mm f5.6-6.3 DG.
    Photoshop Elements 7

The Commander
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks etherial,
    Ha, can't say I will be anyway close anytime soon. So the feel I am getting is that I will not have the frustration of the noise I experience with the 400D (which has taken some great shots I might add) and in comparison will be qhite happy. However; if I am thinkin 5D quality noise reduction I would be mistaken. I have played quite a bit with the 50D so for a starting reference for me.

Would it be fair to say the noise of the 7D falls between the 50D and 5D, even if marginaly?
    Please be honest with your Critique of my images. I may not always agree, but I will not be offended - CC assists my learning and is always appreciate

https://mikeathome.smugmug.com/

Canon 5D3 - Gripped, EF 70-200 L IS 2.8 MkII, , 24-105 L 4 IS MkI, 580 EX II Speedlite, 2x 430 Ex II Speedlite

The Commander
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kevinj View Post
    I think everything has been said,I stepped up from a 450D and the difference is "Chalk and Cheese",the 7D is a huge leap forward.If you feel like meeting up at say Oxley Creek Common one weekend,you can have a play with mine and my 100-400mmL and 24-105mmL,see how they feel on the camera.
    Hi Kevin, hey mate thanks for the offer. I am looking at a perchuse with a 24-105mm L to compliment the other end of my 70-200L. I would say I will purchase around Sept once I have saved a little more to cover the lens.
    At this stage I think I will hire one for a couple of days closer to the purchase just to give me comfort. I would like to take you up on your offer closer to the purchase when I hire the sucker. It would be great to meet up and have you run me through the usage, say best practices of the 7D, compare same shots with both cameras and then I could come away and give it a run with this knowledge.

Thanks Kev, will PM you closer to the date so we can arrange a meetup. Horse event season is basically over after the EKKA so I start getting some free time on my hands by then :-).

Thanks again,

Mike

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not a problem Mike,happy to be of service,let me know when.The 24-105mmL balances beautifully on the 7D,but so does all my lenses.
    Last edited by kevinj; 04-07-2010 at 12:19pm.

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mikew09 View Post
    Thanks etherial,
    Ha, can't say I will be anyway close anytime soon. So the feel I am getting is that I will not have the frustration of the noise I experience with the 400D (which has taken some great shots I might add) and in comparison will be qhite happy. However; if I am thinkin 5D quality noise reduction I would be mistaken. I have played quite a bit with the 50D so for a starting reference for me.

Would it be fair to say the noise of the 7D falls between the 50D and 5D, even if marginaly?
    I don't have any first hand experience with the 50D or the 5D so it is hard for me to comment on that. From what I have seen online in reviews etc and from when I was researching I think that is a fair call though.

I think compared to the 400D though, you will love it!
    Mic

Photography is the art of telling stories with light.

www.michaelgoulding.com

The Commander
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For anyone that is interested I have found what appears to be a reliable non-biased and makes the 7D favourable.
    Does comment in view of noise against the 5DMkII but from what I see it is pretty good.

http://www.photographybay.com/2009/1...eos-7d-review/

The Commander
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by etherial View Post
    I don't have any first hand experience with the 50D or the 5D so it is hard for me to comment on that. From what I have seen online in reviews etc and from when I was researching I think that is a fair call though.

I think compared to the 400D though, you will love it!
    Again, thanks etherial, I am really glad I started this thread as I did have a rather dim view of the 7D but from what I am hearing and seeing in this thread I think I may have had the wrong impression.

Site Rules Breach - Permanent Ban
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have recently bought a 7D (upgrade from my 40D) Im buy no means a good photographer, but i can (now) see the difference, at the start I was thinking it was no different, but I was wrong.

The 7D feels a lot better in my hands, I have really big hands and thats what put me off the 450D and so on plastic bodied cameras.

Like other have said, I myself looked at reviews after reviews on it, and by the end it was a no brainer to get the 7D. It has a lot of great features and thought this is a camera I can hold on too for a while and produce some great shots.

From the reviews I have read the 7D sits between the 50D and 5D mkII. I have also seen shots taken with the 7D and 5D and some or most of the shots looks better on the 7D than 5D for the low capabillities.

Im sure you will be happy with the 7D as I am too.

Damo

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I, like a couple of the others, stepped up from the 450d also, and my main reason was also fps and the focus abilities as I was really getting into shooting my kids playing league, while the 50d would've been plenty for me, I thought what the hell, why not get the latest and greatest while I can afford it.

The first thing I really noticed was that I was getting a lot of shots OOF when shooting fast moving subjects, in the end it was my lenses couldn't keep up,(sigma 17-70, tamron 28-300 and 50 1.8) as all these lenses didn't have USM or HSM focusing, but now that all my lenses are either USM or HSM all is good.

Noise performance is better than my 5d classic and miles ahead of the 450, but nowhere as good as the higher end Canon or Nikon's, from what I've learnt, if they'd have kept the resolution lower, it would probably have been better, but in saying that, 19mp is great when you need to do some heavy cropping.

Another thing I've noticed since getting the 5d, is that I seem to be able to capture a wider dynamic range on the 7d than the 5d.

I haven't really played that much with the video, but when that time comes, it's there.
    Jayde

Honest CC whether good or bad, is much appreciated.
    Love and enjoy photography, but won't be giving up my day job.

Flickr

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oops, just noticed that you've got yourself a 50d, I really should look harder before i post things lol

The Commander
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    LOL, thanks Damo & Jayde for your comments. Yep at the price I couldn't pass it up and now I have a few more dollars to put to another L lens with a bit more saving. The 7D would have been great too but I am so very happy with the 50D. Will take me a while to get around the camera but I can see the potential for where this will take me.

Thanks again,

Mike

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am just wondering about file sizes when in video mode..... how long could you shoot for with say a 8gb flash card?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    dont worry, found the info I was looking for.....

"The 7D captures video in .MOV file format. Video recording is limited to 4 GB per clip. While that sounds like a lot of space, when you consider that HD files cover roughly 330 MB per minute, you end up with about 12 minutes recording time in 4 GB of space. If you’re using a 16 GB card, that means you can get about 48 minutes total on the card. Even if you’re shooting in SD mode at 640 x 480 resolution, the 7D will chew up 165 MB per minute. So, if you’re doing some serious video shooting, bring plenty of CF cards."

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12