Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Who has a 7D and how do you rate it

The Commander
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Who has a 7D and how do you rate it

Well, have been on and off buying a 50D for months but keep getting the itch to hold out until I have the cash for a 7D. As the 50D is about to drop of the market I have to ask this question.

APers, who of you have the 7D and how do you rate it? etc, much better that my 40D / 50D etc, better noise control, sharpness and focus etc. Maybe any key features that are of real value.

I have heard some rumours of poor noise control with the 7D but yet to see someone actually cann the camera as a dud. Only seen one review (a good one too) done by Allann and co but would like to hear from a body of 7D users to get a more cross sectioned apraisal.

Very interested to hear what you have to say. Back too you...........

Back you team.
    Please be honest with your Critique of my images. I may not always agree, but I will not be offended - CC assists my learning and is always appreciate

https://mikeathome.smugmug.com/

Canon 5D3 - Gripped, EF 70-200 L IS 2.8 MkII, , 24-105 L 4 IS MkI, 580 EX II Speedlite, 2x 430 Ex II Speedlite

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    you might get a few extra things in the menu but as far as image quality goes from reviews ive read up on the 450D produces just the same.

steve.

The Commander
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stevemack View Post
    you might get a few extra things in the menu but as far as image quality goes from reviews ive read up on the 450D produces just the same.

steve.
    Thanx Steve, yep I have read similiar. I am hoping for the reality of a 60D release but still very unstanciated. The 50D suply is almost wiped out in Aus already but don't want to rush in just because that model is finishing up. Don't really want to buy until about Sept / Oct anyway so I can bargain in a 24-105 L lens at the same time.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey, I'm only a week or two off a purchase of a 7d after holding off from the 50d

Stop adding to my indecision

Scotty
    Canon 7D : Canon EF 70-200mm f:2.8 L IS II USM - Canon EF 24-105 f:4 L IS USM - Canon EF 50mm f:1.8 - Canon EF-s 18-55mm f:3.5-5.6
    Sigma APO 150-500mm f:5-6.3 DG OS HSM
    - Sigma 10-20mm f:3.5 EX DC HSM
    Speedlite 580 EX II - Nissin Di866 II - Yongnuo 460-II x2 - Kenko extension tube set - Canon Extender EF 1.4x II
    Manfroto monopod - SILK 700DX Pro tripod - Remote release - Cokin Z-Pro filter box + Various filters

Current Social Experiment: CAPRIL - Wearing a cape for the month of April to support Beyond Blue
    Visit me on Flickr

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have 50D and I love it. For me the 7D was not out. I wish it was when I was getting in to the the SLR Digital. from what I have seen.
    but I think I will get the 2D if that ever comes out... speaking of witch has any on heard if canon is going to up the 1D to 2D?
    Nikon D800e F4 24-120mm, Hasseblad hd3 31, 28mm, 80mm, 100mm, 210mm, Nexttwo card reader storage Olympus Tough for underwater photography, PS5 and PS6 for Mac, Acdc Pro,
    Please I am Dyslexic So if I have mist words or mist spelled wrong, please over look, if you dont under stand what I am trying to say, ask me by sending a PM/s, I do not meen offend. Sorry and Thanks

The Commander
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Scotty72 View Post
    Hey, I'm only a week or two off a purchase of a 7d after holding off from the 50d

Stop adding to my indecision

Scotty
    Hi Scotty, yep we spoke about this in another thread. Like before, I am interested in a review of what you think of the 7D mate.
    I have read the dpreview on the 7D a number of times and it has some really nice features - truth be told, if I was cashed up now I would go and buy one but I want to bargain a 24-105L into the deal and with the extra of a 7D need some more savings.

The Commander
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SimonKH View Post
    I have 50D and I love it. For me the 7D was not out. I wish it was when I was getting in to the the SLR Digital. from what I have seen.
    but I think I will get the 2D if that ever comes out... speaking of witch has any on heard if canon is going to up the 1D to 2D?
    The 50D is a great camera, I just can't seem to make up my mind on what to do.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    hehe

what, if any, lens I can add into the bargain depends on the exact size of my tax cheque..

I have also read that review and it is a rather glowing one.

I, too, would like to hear the 1st hand experiences from APers

Scotty

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    im having the 5d /7d debate.

going on previous years, and the lack of 50d availability, the price drop, and the fact it just went "quit" at work, i think the 60d would be out september. (sept is usually the time of XXd canons (and ipods for those that care)).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've had the 7D since Nov 2009. I think it's great! Easy to operate, great in low light with a semi decent lens. It's got 8fps burst and I've just started doing HDR (3 frames only at this stage). The large LCD is excellent quality for quick viewing your shots, giving a pretty good idea whether your on song with the shot. Video quality is excellent! $1570 through DWI. Alloy body is tough. It's great to use the regular on body flash and set up remote control of another flash off the camera. good for different lighting effects.
    DWI web site is: https://www.dwidigitalcameras.com.au...idProduct=2364

Account Closed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A few things sold me on the 7D over the 50D

Better weatherproofing (as I'm often out in open boats in all sorts of weather).

Inbuilt off camera flash capability.

More selection of AF point modes & newer, better tracking AF system suits as I'm more into moving subjects than stationary ones.

Very happy with it so far.

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had one Mike, but sold it. I already had a 5dmkii and thought by all the reviews it would be a great companion to it. I was quite dissapointed, noise over iso200 was quite noticeable, and I have read and heard this alot. Maybe a dud camera, but who knows? I am sure they have probably fixed any issues with the camera by now. Still better than the 50d's.
    Critique and comments welcomed on my images!

www.philrettkephotography.com
    http://www.flickr.com/philrettke

Canon EOS 5D MKII x 2 | Ef 70-200mm f2.8L IS II USM | Ef 16-35mm f2.8L II | Ef 180mm f/3.5L macro | Ef 24-70mm f/2.8L | Adobe Photoshop CS3 extended | Digital Photo Professional | Photomatix Pro 3 | Adobe Lightroom 2.3

Ausphotography Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When I was in NZ at the course I wnt to, the leaders had 7Ds for some of the people who came cameraless. It did appear to have good features, the Live View is far more useful than I had previously realised, allowing you to szoom in to check focus etc. The images produced that I saw on the course seemed of very good quality. Some were taken in low light but as we were all using tripods the ISO may have been set low.

It really comes down to you and your photography. If you plan to do a lot of low light work it might not be for you. But if not, and if your low light work can be done on a tripod (eg dawn/dusk/night shots) then it may not be an issue.

Have you though about hiring one and giving it a good test drive? That may answer all your questions.
    Odille

“Can't keep my eyes from the circling sky”

My Blog | Canon 1DsMkII | 60D | Tokina 20-35mm f/2.8 AF AT-X PRO | EF50mm f/1.8| Sigma 150-500mm F5-6.3 APO DG OS HSM | Fujifilm X-T1 & X-M1 | Fujinon XC 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 OIS | Fujinon XC 50-230mm F3.5-5.6 OIS | Fujinon XF 18-55mm F2.8-4R LM OIS | tripods, flashes, filters etc ||

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    here's my take on it ( compared to 5dmkII and 40D)

1. 7d feels like the 5dmkII, build wise, solid - apparently better weatherproofing
    2. Ergonomics : still have to get used to the on off switch on the 7d but most people say this is a plus.
    3. AF : certainly feels better than the 40D or 5d though I don't use the feature much
    4. HD video : once again, you can shoot in full manual but now you can with the 5dmkII firmware upgrade too
    5. ISO: way ahead of the 40D especially if not underexposed - miles behind the 5dmkII at 1600 - unless I really want noise in the image , I don't go over 800 if I Can avoid it even indoors at weddings.
    6. Image quality : I don't know who's comparing it with the 450D but I took a bunch of shots with the 10-20 with the exact same settings at various isos and the picture's turned out much sharper than the same shots with the 40D (at 100% crop) and I have noticed the same with results on the field. for much of the landscape work, the sharpness is nearly as good as the 5dmkII. Though as phil mentioned, there are often dark areas in landscapes shots which are quite prone to noise.
    7. Off camera flash is a feature but utilises IR not radio- so you need line of sight - not that well thought out to me.

So the choice for us in getting the 7d over the 5dmkII:
    - Crop factor of 1.6 with 18mp finally overrode just shooting long with the 5dmkII and cropping (ie with detail shots etc)
    - Weatherproofing was a biggie for us - the 5dmkII died in iceland last year so we wanted something that was theoretically tougher (without having to fork out for a 1dsmkIII)
    - We already had a bunch of EFS lenses.
    - Combination with the canon 70-200 has been awesome for the rare times we take pictures of moving subjects!

that's my perspective and I'm sure there will be areas of contention so take it as a review in isolation.
    I think if I weren't so paranoid about camera break downs and if I already owned a 17-40 wide angle , i'd probably just have bought another 5dmkII
    Call me Dylan! www.everlookphotography.com | www.everlookphotography.wordpress.com | www.flickr.com/photos/dmtoh
    Canon EOS R5, : 16-35mm F4 L, 70-200F4 canon L, 24-70mm 2.8IIcanon L, Sirui tripod + K20D ballhead + RRS ballhead. |Sony A7r2 + Laowa 12mm F2.8, Nisi 15mm F4
    Various NiSi systems : Currently using switch filter and predominantly 6 stop ND, 10 stop ND, 3 stop medium GND
    Post : Adobe lightroom classic CC : Photoshop CC. Various actions for processing and web export

The Commander
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Scotty72 View Post
    hehe

what, if any, lens I can add into the bargain depends on the exact size of my tax cheque..

I have also read that review and it is a rather glowing one.

I, too, would like to hear the 1st hand experiences from APers

Scotty
    I think bonus time will be the clincher for my lens. hopefully :-)

The Commander
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Analog6 View Post
    When I was in NZ at the course I wnt to, the leaders had 7Ds for some of the people who came cameraless. It did appear to have good features, the Live View is far more useful than I had previously realised, allowing you to szoom in to check focus etc. The images produced that I saw on the course seemed of very good quality. Some were taken in low light but as we were all using tripods the ISO may have been set low.

It really comes down to you and your photography. If you plan to do a lot of low light work it might not be for you. But if not, and if your low light work can be done on a tripod (eg dawn/dusk/night shots) then it may not be an issue.

Have you though about hiring one and giving it a good test drive? That may answer all your questions.
    Thanks for the comments. Yep for sure, I have heard a lot of great comments and a few not so great but all around the noise side of things. Though the 400D is a far lesser camera, the noise over 400 iso drives me insane on low light shots. Go advise to rent I think and as the 7D is a tad more expensive I will be hiring one for a few days to see for myslef.

Thanks,

Mike

The Commander
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Philr View Post
    I had one Mike, but sold it. I already had a 5dmkii and thought by all the reviews it would be a great companion to it. I was quite dissapointed, noise over iso200 was quite noticeable, and I have read and heard this alot. Maybe a dud camera, but who knows? I am sure they have probably fixed any issues with the camera by now. Still better than the 50d's.
    Hmm, thanks Phil. Seems the comment around noise is the only real downside I have seen about the 7D, drives me crazy on the 400D once over 400 iso. I assume it would be much better noise wise on the 7D but I still need to tick this one off - looks like I will need to hire one.

Maybe the 5D mkII will come to $2500 in the mean time - ooopps, was that a pig flying buy. :-)

Thanks Phil,

Mike

The Commander
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dtoh View Post
    here's my take on it ( compared to 5dmkII and 40D)

1. 7d feels like the 5dmkII, build wise, solid - apparently better weatherproofing
    2. Ergonomics : still have to get used to the on off switch on the 7d but most people say this is a plus.
    3. AF : certainly feels better than the 40D or 5d though I don't use the feature much
    4. HD video : once again, you can shoot in full manual but now you can with the 5dmkII firmware upgrade too
    5. ISO: way ahead of the 40D especially if not underexposed - miles behind the 5dmkII at 1600 - unless I really want noise in the image , I don't go over 800 if I Can avoid it even indoors at weddings.
    6. Image quality : I don't know who's comparing it with the 450D but I took a bunch of shots with the 10-20 with the exact same settings at various isos and the picture's turned out much sharper than the same shots with the 40D (at 100% crop) and I have noticed the same with results on the field. for much of the landscape work, the sharpness is nearly as good as the 5dmkII. Though as phil mentioned, there are often dark areas in landscapes shots which are quite prone to noise.
    7. Off camera flash is a feature but utilises IR not radio- so you need line of sight - not that well thought out to me.

So the choice for us in getting the 7d over the 5dmkII:
    - Crop factor of 1.6 with 18mp finally overrode just shooting long with the 5dmkII and cropping (ie with detail shots etc)
    - Weatherproofing was a biggie for us - the 5dmkII died in iceland last year so we wanted something that was theoretically tougher (without having to fork out for a 1dsmkIII)
    - We already had a bunch of EFS lenses.
    - Combination with the canon 70-200 has been awesome for the rare times we take pictures of moving subjects!

that's my perspective and I'm sure there will be areas of contention so take it as a review in isolation.
    I think if I weren't so paranoid about camera break downs and if I already owned a 17-40 wide angle , i'd probably just have bought another 5dmkII
    Thanks for these comments, this helps me a lot. With the comments so far I am definately getting a feel for what I need to look for when hiring one for some testing. Thanks very much for the comparison details - great.

Mike

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well I'll through in my 2 cents worth. I went from the 450D to the 7D early this year. To set the baseline I found the 450D image quality to be great and a big step up from the 400D.

If you are expecting a giant leap in terms of IQ then you may be disappointed if you compare straight from the camera, BUT it is better than the 450D by some margin once you understand it. I would never take my 450D over ISO800, but I am quite comfortable to take the 7D up to ISO3200. Yes the 7D has noise that I think is noticeable from around ISO400 but it reacts very well to noise reduction. There is a thread here on dog agility from a couple of days ago which shows the noise at ISO800 which is quite typical out of the camera, but would be easily cleaned up in PP.

So I had to adjust my expectations and my PP technique to suit. Once I got my presets in Lightroom sorted for me the 7D is now miles ahead. Lightroom 3 is also much better than version 2 was which needed me to alter my presets again. LR3 gives me plenty of scope now in that department and it is simply not an issue for me anymore; I can shoot up to ISO6400 without fear, and tell me where you can get a lens that offers 2-3 stops improvement in speed for a few hundred dollars!

One of the reasons I went for the 7D was I shoot dogs and dog movement so I wanted the speed of the burst mode. I also wanted the crop factor of the 7D to improve the reach of my lenses, and the 18MP sensor is plenty if you want to crop a little to get in nice and close. I find it brilliant for action photography but I can get carried away on high speed continuous (what I call machine gun mode!).

I find the layout of the controls much better than the 450D. The wheel controls are great and I can get to most things without looking now as they are within easy reach and the buttons are a good size and can be used with gloves on. The way you can customise what each button does means you can set it up to suit you and makes it feel natural whatever your preferred method. The LCD display on top is useful and the 'Q' button for main screen adjustment of just about everything is brilliant.

It feels nice and natural in the hands, sturdy and well balanced but not too heavy. The shutter button on the battery grip is very light and takes some getting used to though, I would have preferred it had the feel of the main shutter button.

The off camera flash control is great (and I'm not sure it is via IR, as it does work without line of site. My understanding is it uses the cameras flash to transmit too the remote flash unit). That saved me a few hundred dollars by not having to buy a transmitter.

The focus system is great, but it does take some learning to get the most from it, but it is very versatile and will cover every situation. Further to that the microadjust function is very useful (I've posted at length of that before).

Live view is well set out and easy to use. The main view finder is a big step up from the lower ranges giving just about 100% view. It is bright and easy to see all the internal displays.

The video was not a factor for me when buying, but I have found I use it more than I thought I would and have been pleasantly surprised.

The auto ISO is great, and for sporting events I often now shoot in Manual mode, set my aperture and shutter speed and let the Auto ISO do the control should the light change a little at the event I'm shooting.

Battery life is brilliant, I get anything up to 1200 shots from a battery.

In summary, it is a different camera to the xxxD series (and probably the xxD series). You will find it natural and typical Canon in terms of menu set up and general use, but you need to learn its tricks. I've found that I now use a different metering mode, different focus settings, different base settings to what I was with the 450D. I also have to process differently in terms of noise control, sharpening and colour control. Once you learn the cameras strengths and adapt to them you will find you will love it.

Hope that helps. I'd offer you a meet and play with it but you're a little far away!
    Mic

Photography is the art of telling stories with light.

www.michaelgoulding.com

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by etherial View Post
    The off camera flash control is great (and I'm not sure it is via IR, as it does work without line of site. My understanding is it uses the cameras flash to transmit too the remote flash unit). That saved me a few hundred dollars by not having to buy a transmitter.

Battery life is brilliant, I get anything up to 1200 shots from a battery.
    agree with the battery (uses LPE6 which is the 5dmkII battery)

as for line of sight - for example, I have tried using it to take a bride and groom with the 580EXII in their lap while sitting in a car. it did not trigger until my wife got in there in the front seat and lifted it up above the window line of the car. I'm not sure how you got it to work out of line of sight but we've tried a few different scenarios like this which exposed its limitations and hence we're getting some yong nuo's for off camera flash.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast