Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  1
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Sigma 150-500mm

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sigma 150-500mm

I am interested in purchasing this lens. Would like to get some feedback from any Canon users who have one.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Babu View Post
    I am interested in purchasing this lens. Would like to get some feedback from any Canon users who have one.
    Hello & welcome to AP. I too am looking at this lens, driven more because of the $$...From what I ahve read it should be a good sports/wildlife lens. If the $$ weren't an issue I would go for one of the faster L IS series Canon lenses.

Roy

5D MkIII gripped; EF 17-40 f/4L; EF 24-105 f/4L; EF 50 f/1.8; EF 135 f/2L; 580EXII; Manfrotto 055XPROB & 308RC ballhead; Computrekker Plus AW
    My Photobucket / My flickr

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Woops!!! "have', sorry

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Agree with Roy. The Siggy can be a good allround lens, but it isn't fast enough to compete with the L series glass. With lenses it is really the more you pay the better quality the lens. So if your thoughts are for birding or sports, the Siggy can be a good base lens to learn from, but you will find yourself wanting more and the lens lust will start to beckon and have you looking at more pro level glass, be that from Siggy or another third party or at the Canon L series themselves.
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was also looking at the Sigma, but bit the bullet and went for the 100-400 canon, very happy with this lens.
    Jayde

Honest CC whether good or bad, is much appreciated.
    Love and enjoy photography, but won't be giving up my day job.

Flickr

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi dulvariprestige and welcome to AP.

I use a Canon camera and the 150-500mm lens for my birding shots these days, I got this lens mainly due to money issues.
    I have found the lens quite good for most situations for birding, I have used it for scenery shots where I have had to, as car was too far and I was chasing a few species of bird at the times.
    Here is one image I had taken recently http://www.ausphotography.net.au/for...ad.php?t=53051
    This is of a Redthroat near Burra SA.

Here is another taken the following day 30 to 40 ks north of Yunta in SA.
    http://www.ausphotography.net.au/for...ad.php?t=53549

I had to get a fair distance from the old vehicle to enable all 3 elements I want in the frame.

These are just a couple of shots to show what it is capable of, mind you the Redthroat could do with a tad of sharpening.

I do not regret getting this lens, but would still love the L lens from Canon for the clarity they produce.

Peter
    Any comments and critique always welcome
    Canon 400d twin lens kit & 60d : Canon 580 EX II & 430 EX II Flash | Cokin filters NDG 2,4 & 8 ND 8. + CPL | Sigma APO 150-500 OS DG | Canon 400L Canon 17-40L & 60 mm Macro.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Feral1, but I think you meant Babu

BTW, nice shots in your links.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Babu if there is one thing I've learnt on this forum that is don't buy a 2nd choice lens save and buy the one you really want.It will be cheaper in the long run.
    Wayne

Canon 7D and stuff
    Olympus OMD - EM10

https://www.flickr.com/photos/34371137@N03/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Geez, anyone wonder why Sigma bother making lenses, because clearly you must be a twit to buy anything that doesn't have a L and a red band on it....

OK, I am going to weigh in on this thread too, as I am thinking of getting something a little longer as well, but I seem to be in the minority as I have a budget to stick to.

My biggest concern is the F6.3 thing. From peoples experience, how quickly does it hit that mark? Peter, if you are still reading this thread, was that shot of the Redthroat at full length? Is there much cropping?

The other option I am thinking of is the Sigma 120-400, but if the 150-500 is @ F5.6 @ 400mm, I would probably go for a bit more length.

Cheers

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hoffy View Post
    Geez, anyone wonder why Sigma bother making lenses, because clearly you must be a twit to buy anything that doesn't have a L and a red band on it....

OK, I am going to weigh in on this thread too, as I am thinking of getting something a little longer as well, but I seem to be in the minority as I have a budget to stick to.

My biggest concern is the F6.3 thing. From peoples experience, how quickly does it hit that mark? Peter, if you are still reading this thread, was that shot of the Redthroat at full length? Is there much cropping?

The other option I am thinking of is the Sigma 120-400, but if the 150-500 is @ F5.6 @ 400mm, I would probably go for a bit more length.

Cheers
    I shall have to look at the 400mm and see what the Fstop will sit at,,,,,,, just got the camera out and from 300mm up it sits at F6.3.

The bird was shot at 500mm and here is an image of the original file off the camera,, small amount of cropping was done.
    Depening on what you want to use the lens for, I have not found the f6.3 min a problem.

Peter
    Attached Images Attached Images

Ausphotography Veteran
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have the 150-500 and love it, I usually leave it on F8 and work with the ISO. Also the OS works very well, check these out, the last 2 taken at 1/50 and 1/80 sec handheld at 500mm.
    Keith

Canon 400D Gripped, Canon 7D LCD Timer Gripped, Canon 70-200 f2.8L is ii. Canon 2X iii Extender, Canon 50mm 1.8, Sigma 150-500, Sigma 18-250, Sigma 17-50 F2.8, Sigma 10-20, Tamron 90mm Macro, Yonguno YN460 & 460ii Speedlights and a Hanimax TZ 1 Flash, Wireless Triggers ,LED Macro Ringlight, Extension Tubes, 3 tripods, 2 monopods, PS Elements 5 & 10, PSP9 and canon s/ware, various filters and other photographic paraphernalia all packed in a computrecker backpack. NEW:- Panasonic GX8, 45-150, 14mm F2.5. PSE 2018.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Scheery
    Hi,
    I have used this lens on a Pentax K7.
    I like it & although I was worried aboit being able to hand-hold it, it is possible. I like its silent autofocus. Recently sold some photos taken with it. Small aperture doesn't worry me as I find you really need about f8 for close small bird photos.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sigma 150-500 purchase

Thanks to all who responded to my request for opinions on the Sigma 150-500, especially Peter & Keith - I enjoyed the pics you attached.
    I am quite familiar with the Canon 100-400, having captured many wonderful images with it in a wide variety of environments. However, it won't autofocus with a 1.4x unless I buy a 1D body and I want some exta reach. I intend to acquire a Canon 500mm prime in the future but, in the meantime, I need something with a bit more pull than the 100-400.
    Acting on the mainly positive vibes in your responses, I bought the Sigma 150-500 yesterday. I tested it hand-held briefly in the back yard and have attached one untouched sample except for making it small enough to attach. I'm happy so far but the results will hopefully improve when I'm more used to the lens. See what you think.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You have to be happy with that, Babu where was your focus point, it's seems the wing is more in focus, but if you did focus on the head you may need to do a micro adjust.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's a cracker of a test shot Babu...Lots of great posts in this thread that will help me make my own mind up in which lens to get in the near future

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ray, I noticed that you have a 1D MkIII which, correct me if I'm wrong, is a 1.3 crop factor body.
    Add the 100-400mm L IS and you'd have 520mm f5.6 @10 fps. Add the 1.4x TC and you'd have 728mm f8 (centre point AF).
    However, if you opted for the Sigma 150-500mm, you'd be looking at 650mm f6.3.
    But then your 350D is a 1.6 crop factor (only 8 MP and slow fps for wildlife on the move) 640mm @ f5.6 with the 100-400mm Canon or 800mm f6.3 with the Sigma 150-500mm.
    All these 1.6 specs look way better with the 7D (DIGIC IV) at 18 MP and 8 fps, outboard flash control and 1080p HD movies..... The 1D IV (Dual DIGIC IV) is 16 MP and 10 fps.............
    So many numbers and decisions!!!
    I don't know what will be the right decision for you, but I hope to win Gold Lotto or find a generous sponsor. Let us know which way you go.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use Nikon, but Im not biased!
    I was impressed with Kym's 50-500 (Bigma) and have arranged a test run with one for this weekend, but now I'm going to ask if they can do the same with the 150-500.
    Cost is a factor when looking at lens of this type and I appreciate Nikkor glass being 'quality' but I can't justify the price "yet".

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Blueywa View Post
    I use Nikon, but Im not biased!
    I was impressed with Kym's 50-500 (Bigma) and have arranged a test run with one for this weekend, but now I'm going to ask if they can do the same with the 150-500.
    Cost is a factor when looking at lens of this type and I appreciate Nikkor glass being 'quality' but I can't justify the price "yet".
    Blueywa, Hi Just thought I would mention to you that as far as I know the 50-500mm siggy has no OS as the 150-500 does.

Peter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by feral1 View Post
    Blueywa, Hi Just thought I would mention to you that as far as I know the 50-500mm siggy has no OS as the 150-500 does.

Peter
    Peter the new 50-500 has OS, $1758 @ gerry gibbs camera house

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Babu View Post
    Ray, I noticed that you have a 1D MkIII which, correct me if I'm wrong, is a 1.3 crop factor body.
    Add the 100-400mm L IS and you'd have 520mm f5.6 @10 fps. Add the 1.4x TC and you'd have 728mm f8 (centre point AF).
    However, if you opted for the Sigma 150-500mm, you'd be looking at 650mm f6.3.
    But then your 350D is a 1.6 crop factor (only 8 MP and slow fps for wildlife on the move) 640mm @ f5.6 with the 100-400mm Canon or 800mm f6.3 with the Sigma 150-500mm.
    All these 1.6 specs look way better with the 7D (DIGIC IV) at 18 MP and 8 fps, outboard flash control and 1080p HD movies..... The 1D IV (Dual DIGIC IV) is 16 MP and 10 fps.............
    So many numbers and decisions!!!
    I don't know what will be the right decision for you, but I hope to win Gold Lotto or find a generous sponsor. Let us know which way you go.
    Hi Babu

I think you are refrerring to me (Roy) here. Have just caught back up with this thread. Yep the 1D3 is 1.3 crop & 350D is 1.6 crop.

The 350D was my original starting DSLR. I have an interest in sports/photojounalsim (hense the 1D3 which I got in excellent nick for a super price) & this was to replace the 350D but I have found I am still taking at least half my shots (working on a 271/365 project) with it & kit lenses.

I am primarily thinking of the 1D3 with regards to new lenses but will experiment with the 350D no doubt. As for choice i am leaning toward the Sigma 150-500 purely for financial reasons (excellent high ISO properties of the 1D3 helps with poor light), hoping to obtain a small zoom and long telephoto prime down the track.

My technique and genre developement are of primary concern. You are right about the 7D and I was on track to buy one until the 1D3 (10fps which has paid off already http://http://www.flickr.com/photos/...06/4480512272/ ) opportunity arose. I haven't been bitten by any movie bug yet but 18mp x 1.6 crop = D700 full frame (am I wrong? Just my figuring). Hope this all makes sense. Bottom line is if you are not going to shoot in poor light then all indications is the Sigma 150-500 OS should be a very worthwhile purchase.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast