User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  4
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: End of the 50D series

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    According to this review the 17-55 f/2.8IS is sharper than the venerable 24-70L...apparently it's not designated L because it mounts only on the 1.6x crop bodies...

Actually I have the cash up for it...I can get either of the 24-70 f/2.8L, 24-105 f/4L IS, or the 17-55 f/2.8 IS...

But since I'll be likely travelling overseas around Nov, i'm holding up the glass purchase (which will be signigificant, well above $1000, and the flash for like $350ish maybe) till then, so that I can claim TRS on them...

The body, I'm going to grab it because I have no intention of ponying up an extra $500 or so that canon will slap on to the 60D over the current 50D price, for an added 2 megapixels maybe, and video capabilities...and the 7D is overkill...eats up precious lens budget if I go that way...

[rant on] Honestly, I'm tired of this "video HD video blah blah" crap...If I needed video, I wouldnt bundle up and spend $3000 on gear meant for STILL pictures! [rant off]

The Commander
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Haha - LOL. That is exactly the way I ended up seeing it. Brisbane is almost out of 50D's, infact, when I bought there was only two stores in Brizzy that had them in stock on Thursday and I bought the second last one from Teds - they had sold like 10 in the last 10 days. Vid is not an interest to me as I already have a HD JVC that I carry in my kit just in case. The extra for the 7D I want to put ot a 24-105 L later as not quite cashed up to that point, the 50D's are selling for a great price at the moment so I couldn't say no.
    Going from the 400D to the 50D is quite a change - the 400D is a great camera but I needed to move up now.
    Look forward to seeing some shots once you get this fine camera.
    Please be honest with your Critique of my images. I may not always agree, but I will not be offended - CC assists my learning and is always appreciate

https://mikeathome.smugmug.com/

Canon 5D3 - Gripped, EF 70-200 L IS 2.8 MkII, , 24-105 L 4 IS MkI, 580 EX II Speedlite, 2x 430 Ex II Speedlite

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I got my 50D body today...for a start I got it with the 18-55IS lens (I know it's a dinky kit lens, but should tide me through a few months before I get more serious glass)

I got the 50D body for 930 (nobody would budge below that...Michaels didnt have any except the display and wanted 980, Teds could do a max of 949), the lens for 199, an 8GB sandisk ultra CF for $50, and a canon crumpler for another $50...5 year warranty for $140, and they gave me a voucher for 1000 photo prints as well...all up for $1369...

I got mine from Camera House (Camera Action) on elizabeth street...they had only 3 left, of which I took 1 (the boxed version)...of the rest 2, one is a display unit and one is a window display...

Initial impressions...even with this kit lens, it focuses MUCH faster than my point-and-shoot...

It is a VERY loud camera compared to the PnS...maybe it's my first time with an SLR, but I find the shutter to be quite loud...no getting away with sneaky shots with this one!

I tried out the unit with the 17-55 f/2.8 IS-USM in the shop...although rather large (and costly), that lens focuses insanely fast...

Come November, I'll probably get the 17-55 f/2.8 as well...the 18-55 is just a fill-in more or less...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    congrats on ur new purchases!!

no mention of a 60 in the july canon newsletter. maybe aug as predicted.

there is a definent gap in the canon lineup from a price view, as said earlier.. people cant afford to go to the 7d and go for the d90 as it is alot cheaper.

i think the timing is pretty good tho. As canon is currently clearing out all the 450ds. If they introduced the 60 now it would be swamped with too much "quit" stock trying to be cleared and the new stock. And they cant make the 550d's fast enough let alone add a 60 to the mix!
    ~Emz
    30D, 17-85, 50m 1.4, 100mm macro L IS, 580 ex ii.

~all cc welcome~

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks!

I would have held on for a 60D, but looking at how things are going, the focus seems to be shifting to gimmicks like video now, and the ever-present megapixel race...

I went for the 50D because at the moment they're going for the same price as the 550D bodies more or less...the 60D will retail for at least $1500 or so on release, and I much prefer to save up the cash for investing in glass...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Re: Noisy shutter.
    oops, forgot to "quote..."
    next post please...
    (how do you delete a post? I can't find the button...)
    Last edited by RaoulIsidro; 20-07-2010 at 5:28pm.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by twister View Post
    I got my 50D body today...for a start I got it with the 18-55IS lens (I know it's a dinky kit lens, but should tide me through a few months before I get more serious glass)

I got the 50D body for 930 (nobody would budge below that...Michaels didnt have any except the display and wanted 980, Teds could do a max of 949), the lens for 199, an 8GB sandisk ultra CF for $50, and a canon crumpler for another $50...5 year warranty for $140, and they gave me a voucher for 1000 photo prints as well...all up for $1369...

I got mine from Camera House (Camera Action) on elizabeth street...they had only 3 left, of which I took 1 (the boxed version)...of the rest 2, one is a display unit and one is a window display...

Initial impressions...even with this kit lens, it focuses MUCH faster than my point-and-shoot...

It is a VERY loud camera compared to the PnS...maybe it's my first time with an SLR, but I find the shutter to be quite loud...no getting away with sneaky shots with this one!

I tried out the unit with the 17-55 f/2.8 IS-USM in the shop...although rather large (and costly), that lens focuses insanely fast...

Come November, I'll probably get the 17-55 f/2.8 as well...the 18-55 is just a fill-in more or less...
    Re: Noisy shutter.

You are able to choose 2 other options for stealth shutter release making it very quiet.
    If you go to "Live View Functions" in the Menu, there is an option called "Silent Shoot".
    It has 2 modes and it is very quiet!
    "The greatest camera in the world is the one you hold in your hands when shit happens." ©2007 Raoul Isidro

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    please excuse my naivety, but what is the advatages of a full frame body like the 5D over a crop frame body like the 7D ? and don't get too technical on me
    Steve

Equipment: A couple of Canons with some lenses and a heap of enthusiasm

Account Closed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    - Enlarging less to reach a given print size
    - Better high ISO performance
    - Better Depth of Field control
    - Generally lot better viewfinder (larger)
    Last edited by joele; 20-07-2010 at 8:48pm.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by in2fx View Post
    please excuse my naivety, but what is the advatages of a full frame body like the 5D over a crop frame body like the 7D ? and don't get too technical on me
    Pretend that there's a hole in the ceiling projecting a clear image on the dining table as big as a dinner plate.
    A large slice of sandwich will be able to capture so much of the projected image. This represents the full frame sensor.
    Now place a small biscuit where the slice of bread used to be. The biscuit represents the cropped sensor.
    The image projected didn't change, but the biscuit can only capture so much.
    Last edited by RaoulIsidro; 20-07-2010 at 8:48pm.

The Commander
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by joele View Post
    - Enlarging less to reach a given print size
    - Better high ISO performance
    - Better Depth of Field control
    - Generally lot better viewfinder (larger)
    Interesting thread

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am glad you did not ask for the disadvantages of a full frame sensor Steve but only for the advantages Joele pretty much nailed it 100%. Can't see any other advantages either.

The biscuit example of Raoul is correct if you use the same lens on both cameras. But because you can get lenses with a much wider field of view for crop sensors than full frame sensors, at the end of the day both cameras see exactly the same sandwhich if you stay with Canon lenses, or if you go for non-genuine lenses the reverse is actually true. The crop sensor sees the whole sandwich and the full frame camera can only see the biscuit and misses the rest of the world.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the replies.... although my head a spinning a little from that (I'm a bit of a gumby and sometimes take a little while to get it) LOL

It will be quite a while before I look for a new body, but am dreaming about another lens or two before anything else and then maybe looking towards something like the 7D in the distant future.

Account Closed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ohh disadvantages are there too ;-)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by joele View Post
    Ohh disadvantages are there too ;-)
    really!!
    can you elaborate on that a little ?

I know that my EF-S lenses will not work on a full frame but EF lenses will (I'm not a total dumby )

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You recon the price for used 40ds goes down once the 60d comes?

I guess it might be as the 40d users want to upgrade...
    Constructive criticism is most welcome!!!

Canon 40D, 100-300 5.6 L
    Sigma 17-70
    Manfrotto Tripod

Account Closed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by in2fx View Post
    really!!
    can you elaborate on that a little ?
    - FF Cameras generally cost more
    - FF Cameras are generally bigger
    - Lenses (wider end) are generally going to be bigger as they have to cover a larger sensor, often more expensive too.
    - As you said more lens choice for crop cameras simply due to them being more popular at the moment, and the fact you can use both types of lenses.

So it boild down (to me) to size, cost and weight.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

50d

Harvey Norman at Caringbagh on the 18 7 10 sold me the 50d for $843 on the box priced at $1599 and the Tamron 18 200mm a14 lens $400 box price was $749, lexar professional udma 8gb card $100 and the box price was $159.95 all after the sale ended.Nearly brought the 550d(was very small and difficult for me to hold) but the 50d suits my big hands better and seemed a better buy as it is the fist slr i have purchased.It was a fair drive from where i live but worth the 3hour round trip.

The Commander
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Raptor Reptiles View Post
    Harvey Norman at Caringbagh on the 18 7 10 sold me the 50d for $843 on the box priced at $1599 and the Tamron 18 200mm a14 lens $400 box price was $749, lexar professional udma 8gb card $100 and the box price was $159.95 all after the sale ended.Nearly brought the 550d(was very small and difficult for me to hold) but the 50d suits my big hands better and seemed a better buy as it is the fist slr i have purchased.It was a fair drive from where i live but worth the 3hour round trip.
    Very good choice, the 50D is very good buying at the run out price. I couldn't resist buying one. Always on a bit of a budget and I was tossing up between the 7D and the 50D but at the run out price it was easy decision.
    I think you be very happy with the 50.

Mike

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Was the price that made it easy this way.Felt like i got good value for the money.Been tossing up to buy the 550d for and was waiting for them to go down.And im more than happy to buy a run out model.It the same as buying a 3 year old car that is brand new at half price.Very happy with the camera now ill get some more add ons.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast