Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: End of the 50D series

The Commander
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

End of the 50D series

I was very surprised today to find out the following. Have been saving and milling around upgrading to a 50D for about 6 or 8 months now but everytime I get close to a purchase I get the urge to wait a bit longer and go for a 7D or 5D. Looks like the decision has been made for me.

After reading on the forum that HN's had the 50D for $842 me and a mate take our lunch break and wondered into the city to check it out. Sure enough (in Brisbane), $842 but guess what - sold out. We are told Canon are no longer producing the 50D and they have no more Aus stock.

Hmm, wonder over to Ted's, yep, will match the price but none in stock, only 10 available on order and 4 already pre-sold. So we try a Mel supplier that discound for the company and again, no stock and none available from auz Canon supplier - no longer in production.

So what are the options, 7D (will this be discounted), 5D full frame or the 60D, the first rumour of the 60D is on the web but nothing to back it up.

I was really surprised that the 50D has been wrapped up before a new release and well, so it seems little general community knowledge - or did I miss something whilst in the Tardus :-) .
    Last edited by mikew09; 02-07-2010 at 9:22pm.
    Please be honest with your Critique of my images. I may not always agree, but I will not be offended - CC assists my learning and is always appreciate

https://mikeathome.smugmug.com/

Canon 5D3 - Gripped, EF 70-200 L IS 2.8 MkII, , 24-105 L 4 IS MkI, 580 EX II Speedlite, 2x 430 Ex II Speedlite

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's interesting isn't it. The 450D then 500 and 550 all came out in quick succession and overlapped quite a lot. The 50 has been around a while now. I have seen plenty of rumours of a 60D for a few months now but nothing really substantial as yet.
    Mic

Photography is the art of telling stories with light.

www.michaelgoulding.com

The Commander
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by etherial View Post
    It's interesting isn't it. The 450D then 500 and 550 all came out in quick succession and overlapped quite a lot. The 50 has been around a while now. I have seen plenty of rumours of a 60D for a few months now but nothing really substantial as yet.
    Hi etherial, just seems odd too me the way canon have gone about it. Almost like it was not a big success so they pulled it from the market, especially considering the uncertenty of the next in the series. I have almost bought the 50D a few times in the last couple of months but like I said, just keep holding off for a bit more cash as I really want the 7D. For me it is almost a sigh of relief to stop me procastinating over which one

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well there will always be a new model you can wait for new tech to be released or u can buy now and start using it sooner rather then later
    |Gear|Canon 5D MkII + Grip |Canon 7D + Grip |Canon 580EXII x 3|Canon EF Fisheye 15mm F/2.8 |Canon EF 16-35mm F/2.8L Mk II | |Canon EF 400mm F/5.6L |Canon EF 70-200mm F/2.8L IS |Canon EF 24-105mm F/4 L IS |Canon EF 100mm F/2.8 Macro |Canon EF 50mm F/1.8 MK II |Sekonic L-358 Lightmeter |Manfrotto 055XPROB Tripod + 322RC2 Head |Manfrotto 628B Monopod | Wireless Remote Flash Trigger PT-04 CN & 5 Receivers| Plus Too Much More (Filters Ect)
    Chris | http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=119829358036800 | http://www.flickr.com/photos/chrisprendergast |

The Commander
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisprendergast View Post
    Well there will always be a new model you can wait for new tech to be released or u can buy now and start using it sooner rather then later
    Think I will hold out till I can afford the 7D.

Account Closed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The 50D is almost 2 years old, that is a long time to be in the market.

A manufacture will not mention a new product line as it make it difficult to sell existing stock, wait until the 50D is unavailable and I reckon the 60D will be almost on the shelf.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Maybe they're finding that it's holding back 7D sales?
    Canon 5DmkII + stuff

The Commander
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
    Maybe they're finding that it's holding back 7D sales?
    My thoughts also, although I just read a thread on one of many forum through a google search that it is to push the 550 sales.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My anecdotal experience: one friend balks at the cost of the 7D and is going for the 550D, and my brother-in-law decided that if he was going to spend the $ on the 7D he might as well spend the extra and get the 5D! (smart man that )

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think it is worth waiting for the 7d I can see a slight decline in the price of the 7d it is an amazing camera I am very happy with it. I expect by this year end there will be further reduction in price.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Dwarak Calayampundi

Canon 5D Mark II, 7 D Lens Canon 24-105mm L Canon 16-35mm II L Canon 100mm Sigma 10-20mm Canon 50mm 1.8
    http://www.wix.com/dwarak/landscapes

The Commander
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dwarak View Post
    I think it is worth waiting for the 7d I can see a slight decline in the price of the 7d it is an amazing camera I am very happy with it. I expect by this year end there will be further reduction in price.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Yep, there is already some rumours around a price decrease. I am thinking I should maybe consider waiting for the 60D also. I've been trying to make up my mind for about months now, I suppose another few months won't matter :-).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mikew09 View Post
    I have almost bought the 50D a few times in the last couple of months but like I said, just keep holding off for a bit more cash as I really want the 7D.
    Wow, me too.

Around last Xmas, I almost bought the 50D (having the 40D) but decided after checking out the 50D to wait til I could afford the 7D.

Well, I am, hopefully, only a week or two off that day thanks to tax time and my birthday.

Scotty
    Canon 7D : Canon EF 70-200mm f:2.8 L IS II USM - Canon EF 24-105 f:4 L IS USM - Canon EF 50mm f:1.8 - Canon EF-s 18-55mm f:3.5-5.6
    Sigma APO 150-500mm f:5-6.3 DG OS HSM
    - Sigma 10-20mm f:3.5 EX DC HSM
    Speedlite 580 EX II - Nissin Di866 II - Yongnuo 460-II x2 - Kenko extension tube set - Canon Extender EF 1.4x II
    Manfroto monopod - SILK 700DX Pro tripod - Remote release - Cokin Z-Pro filter box + Various filters

Current Social Experiment: CAPRIL - Wearing a cape for the month of April to support Beyond Blue
    Visit me on Flickr

The Commander
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Scotty72 View Post
    Wow, me too.

Around last Xmas, I almost bought the 50D (having the 40D) but decided after checking out the 50D to wait til I could afford the 7D.

Well, I am, hopefully, only a week or two off that day thanks to tax time and my birthday.

Scotty
    Hye Scotty, let me know what you think when you get it, a review maybe would be good :-). Just cant make up my mind - if the 60D is released around the same price as the 50D it would mean I could buy the 24-105 L as well, if I go the 7D I have to sacrafice the lens. Anyway, very interested to hear wht you think of your new 7D compared to your 40D.

Mike

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mikew09 View Post
    Yep, there is already some rumours around a price decrease. I am thinking I should maybe consider waiting for the 60D also. I've been trying to make up my mind for about months now, I suppose another few months won't matter :-).
    The rumour mill indicates an announcement from Canon about a new body is apparently happening in mid-July...possibly the 60D.

The Commander
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hmm, been cutting through the reviews and another thread I have on the AP and am leaning towards the 7D at the moment.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    as i said in the other thread the 50d went "quit" so everyone has been getting rid of them. we havent stocked them in ages as most people go the 7d or the 550d.

i dont think the xxd line is dead but the creation of the 7 has thrown a spanner in the works so who knows.

in terms of the xxd series, the 50 was a bit of a flop. there was not that much of a leap from the 40 (like from the 30 to the 40).

august/september would be the typical time for the xxd line. but canon could suprise us and do something early.

The Commander
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Schmenz View Post
    as i said in the other thread the 50d went "quit" so everyone has been getting rid of them. we havent stocked them in ages as most people go the 7d or the 550d.

i dont think the xxd line is dead but the creation of the 7 has thrown a spanner in the works so who knows.

in terms of the xxd series, the 50 was a bit of a flop. there was not that much of a leap from the 40 (like from the 30 to the 40).

august/september would be the typical time for the xxd line. but canon could suprise us and do something early.
    If the price drops in line with the rumours - I will be on the 7D like flies to .....oopps - Naughter corner alert..... oh well you know the saying.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i know the 5 and 50 both had a price drop. i think the 450 did too as it also went quit.

im not sure if the 7 will have a drop soon or not. i will let you know when i do tho!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was talking to the guys at our new local Camera House today, seems Camerahouse bought up a good suppply of 50's from Canon and will be offering them sub one thousand for the next little while
    Smoke Alarms Save Lives, Install One Today
    I shoot Canon
    Cheers, Mark

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It will be interesting to see what canon is bringing out.
    If it's a 60d I wonder what features it will have?
    How much will be similar to the 7d?
    Can't make it too similar or the 7d will lose sales also.
    Very interesting for those wanting to push the button on buying a new cam.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast